Elections in Europe

“Not a single vote for Le Pen!” Mélenchon thundered to his supporters after polls showed up to one-third of them might be tempted to give an “anti-system” vote to Le Pen because they despised Macron.

1 Like

Unfortunately that’s right, and it may not be enough to stop Le Pen. If his supporters don’t vote at all, then that will leave both Macron and Le Pen scrambling for the votes of everyone else.

French politics are very different. They form new parties all the time. The voters seem to vote very much for the individual rather than the party, at least in Presidential elections, which I guess is fair enough. Marine Le Pen has done very well presenting herself as conservative, but considerably removed from the fascism of her father. I don’t know what Macron has done wrong apart from fail to deliver utopia in one term, but he’s lost an awful lot of support since his landslide win 5 years ago.

1 Like

That image if it was an Australian politician would go down like a lead balloon in Canberra given the sexual assault allegations on couches that have surfaced in the past year or two.

1 Like

I’m liking your comment - not the photo

Doubt that Macron would ever be voted into the highest office in Australia when you consider his partner is around 25 years older and was a teacher at his high school.

The polls are currently showing that Macron is leading 55%-45%, and the lead has been growing slowly but steadily since the first round, but the question that remains is how many voters will actually turn out for each candidate.

2 Likes

This would positively sway my vote.

1 Like

Felt like noticeably lower turnout here in Melbourne than we had in 2017, where I had to queue for 3 hours to vote.

My democracy crepe was excellent though.

2 Likes

This sounds more enticing than democracy snag.

1 Like

We have a froggy Bomber?

Edit. Sorry. Vous êtes français?

HA! Maybe I shouldn’t mention the cheese stall…

Je ne suis pas le seul :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Democracie fromage! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I’ll never understand why people whinge about doing their civic duty, who doesn’t love a snag or some cheese

Maybe a few who said adieu and not au revoir, when Morrison told them to clear off at the start of the 2020 pandemic?

Good point, very few young people this time around

When are the results of the French election expected?

From 4am tomorrow

1 Like