Electronics help & advice (Kindle, phones, etc.)

You’re welcome.

If nothing else, you could set up a good video cam on a tripod, (hell, a decent phone would do the job these days) zoom exactly to the big screen, hit record, push play and go to bed. Best if you can run audio outs from the box into the camera or phone.

I’m sure it would be virtually as good as the copy on the box if you have a decent Telly.

1 Like

That’s actually the (no offence AT) most practical and best lo-tech solution I’ve heard.

1 Like

I used to queue them up on the IQ2 and output them to a DVR, and then to a DVD. Then you can convert them to whatever format. Haven’t done it in 5 years though.

Really? All you need to do is unplug the cable from the fox box to the TV and plug it into the DVR. Then hit play on one and record on the other.

No tripods.

No video cameras.

No audio outs to the camera.

No incidental noises getting recorded.

Lower tech, easier and better.

1 Like

That obviously sounds better if I can get it to work.
I’ll give it a go.

Anyone got any advice about Sonos gear?

I just use the inbuilt sound on my 2017 LG OLED C7, but I’m contemplating a Sonos Beam to connect through the HDMI-ARC port, and a couple of Sonos One’s (and don’t criticise me about the apostrophe, I agonised). Maybe the Move for outdoors too.

I don’t need full surround sound because I simply don’t watch many movies that need it.

Can add the subwoofer at any point.

I’ve got several Ones for music in my apartment. Very good sound.

I’ve got a One and can’t get it to play songs from my phone’s downloaded iTunes library.

I use Spotify.

From reading, I’m not sure you can do it dynamically, but rather by importing your iTunes library…alternatively maybe by using AirPlay 2.

I tried to look online, an it seems to be part of the design. Which makes it next to useless as far as I’m concerned. I thought the whole idea of these things was that you could play whatever music you liked through the speaker, so long as you had a bluetooth connection.

The sub is a must buy.

The beam has Alexa in it which is good I think for turning your tv on and off and changing channels via arc.

So here is the thing. I have tended to largely avoid mobile phones and the world of apps. I mostly use it as a hotspot for my laptop. On my last trip to China I was given an i-phone 6, as there were many people l worked with who needed to contact me. The problem was it was full, it had no storage space left, so after taking a few pictures it was reduced to just a phone and the hotspot connection. All that changed on Thursday morning when it decided to lock up and became disabled. I managed to get it wiped, but it reverted to the original password which l didn’t have.

So l went off to the local Telstra store yesterday and now have a Samsung A11. Probably all l need, now to get me some apps!

LG TV seems to have gone kaput.

Turn on TV…image shows for a split second…then black screen with functional sound.

Turn off TV…image shows for a split second, then we’re completely off.

The black screen is preventing me from navigating to any options, including factory reset, even though I suspect it’s a selectable option on there.

Holding down the power button on the TV itself doesn’t do anything.

Last test will be to vacuum out the insides…then put aside as E-waste.

There are LG service centres. I had a lg vacuum repaired for me at a fraction of the price of buying a new one. (Some under warranty)

Maybe worth a check for your telly?

1 Like

This might help. Mine did this ~2 weeks ago. I run the update after prompted and didn’t restart straight away and just watched the tv the rest of the day. Following day turned it back on from standby and black screen and sound for a few seconds. My fix was to unplug it from wall power. Waited ~30 seconds and turned it back on. Black screen still. Did it again for ~5 minutes and then turned it back on. No issues since. Hope it works for you.

1 Like

I reckon it won’t be long until we get a renaissance of the ‘dumb tv’, similar to the ‘dumb phone’ trend. Tv software is so bloated and convoluted. Just allow me to stream from my phone to my tv. It’s literally the only feature I need.

Not too sure about that. The TV manufacturers get sweet kickbacks from the app owners to be on and prioritised on their TV.

Yeah fair call