English Premier League 2018/19

It will take a few years to put together a list that can challenge.

All things considered it is amazing that we trail the greatest spurs team in the history of the game by just 4 points and we are at our lowest ebb for as long as I can remember.

Not really that amazing mate.
The greatest Spurs team in the history of the game as you call it has been missing itā€™s best player for a quarter of a season.
Havent really had a home ground for 3 quarters of a season and didnā€™t spend a dime on its squad for the whole season.

Anyway the way we played the other night we might yet drop the last 2 games yet and you might win out.
With Spurs I never count the chickens.

2 Likes

I canā€™t see arsenal winning either of their remaining games but then we might qualify via Europa.

Overall the standard of the EPL this year appears to have dropped yet the four sides have performed so well in Champions league.

Strange year for football in general.

Iā€™m still trying to work out after that performance the other night how the hell we will compete with Ajax.

1 Like

Ajax have been a surprise packet but I think you guys can still win.

I think there is less expectation for Spurs in the Champions League because you have done so well so far so you might play with a bit more freedom.

Just need to make sure you get off to good start at home obviously.

Vertonghen and Sissoko are expected back, right?

The most bizarre thing to me is the teams who are playing for 3rd/4th have been in relegation form. Really, all of Spurs, Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea have either stagnated or regressed this season. There are excuses for Spurs (no new signings, moving into a new stadium), Arsenal (new manager, inherited a ā– ā– ā– ā–  squad from Wenger), Man Utd (typical 3rd season syndrome under Mourinho, squad is ā– ā– ā– ā– ), whilst at Chelsea thereā€™s always speculation on whether the players will ā€œdown toolsā€ on the manager. They also have a transfer ban over the next 2 windows and more than likely Hazard will leave for Real Madrid.

Virgil Van Dijk, PFA Player of the Year.

Thoroughly deserved.

4 Likes

How the ā– ā– ā– ā–  did Pogba make the team?

1 Like

Was just typing this. Well-deserved indeed. Best centre-back in the world. Suck it, Sterling.

2 Likes

If guys like young, pogba ,lukkaku and matic never play for us I will be a happy man

Not sure about the second part of the post but first part is spot on - Spurs and Arsenal really struggling in PL right now!!

Spurs are a chance against Ajax as I can see it being a low scoring affair and one away goal might be the difference. Arsenal have a tough toe against Valencia but if the can jump them at the Emirates they might hold on over the two legs

If you took your blinkers off you may notice that the standard of the EPL has actually improved this year - hence the awesome results in Europe.

The battle for the top 4 has been more competitive than any recent seasons, while the middle rung teams in Wolves, Watford, Leicester and Everton have been much more competitive against the top 6 than last season. Donā€™t let the recent form overshadow the entire season.

Hard to gauge. This current lot is close to the worst United squad in the last 20 years and yet are still going to finish top 6. Some of Fergieā€™s teams would kick these scrubbers off the park

1 Like

I agree what a joke. The issue is that the players for the award and its done well before the end of the season. My understanding is the voting was done aroudn the time Pogba was actually playing decent football for one month.

Conversely Salah misses the team because the voting period was when he went through a down patch and because he wasnā€™t able to live up to last seasonā€™s amazing form. Yet despite all this he still leads the Golden Boot at this stage.

I hope so.
Sissoko had been good until injured.

1 Like

Neither are we but we still made the quarter final of the UCL.

Maybe itā€™s more a case that the usual UCL front runners (Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus) have regressed rather than EPL teams have improved.

1 Like

I donā€™ think anyone can argue that Liverpool havenā€™t improved. City have maintained their usual lofty standards, itā€™s the next rung down that have either stagnated or regressed, and instead of one team out on their own head and shoulders above the rest, itā€™s 2. I donā€™t watch enough LaLiga/Serie A to comment on whether to 2 big Spanish clubs and Juve have gone backwards. It would appear perhaps RM have given their struggles this season.

1 Like