Ess vs. GC Suns match review

Better than Collingwood

Collingwood have no excuses.

Well they do have Cloke

Look, first half was really horrible. But, to the boys’ credit they only lost the last half by just over a few goals, so let’s hope we don’t give Melbourne a 10 goal start before we start playing something resembling football.

We had 3 obvious stand outs for us. Zerrett was outstanding and BOG for us for mine. 31 possessions, 12 contested, and his ball use all game was first rate and was what was the big factor for me. Silky and composed and always choose the best option even when he didn’t have much to work with. Genuinley exciting and everyone talks about Cripps, but he’ll be right up there in 2 years.

Zaharakis was also excellent, kept running all game, 33 possesions and could have had 4 goals. Pretty much our only link up player all game and I dare say this will be his best year of his career. A pity he couldn’t do it when we in finals contention but better late than never. If he doesn’t win our B&F then Zerrett will.

Parish was fantastic for a first game. 25 possessions, 6 tackles, 12 contested possesions and 6 clearances. He started off with some poor kicks but his endeavor, run, and handballing especially was first class. His tackling put some of the experienced boys to shame.

Big, big gap from the rest. Stokes was very laconic in the first half, dropped sitters and missed a goal from 2m out… But he got better later in the game and gave us 3 goals so you’d have to say he did his job and easily the best from the top ups. He knows how to find space so he’s a value player to us up forward.

Other than that there’s not much else to pull from the game. Tippa tried very hard and his chasing was a bonus and a positive from the game. I’d like to see him put on the wings because he was the only Essendon player that seemed to remotley rush and harrass opposition players with the ball. A definite tick from me, just needs to find more of the ball.

Kelly was OK I guess, got a lot of it, but butchered and rushed it and despite the possession count didn’t play very well, maybe a bare pass. Hopefully he just irons out those kinks because he’ll be a very valuable player for us this year. Other than that I guess you could say Jerrett tried hard but nowhere near his brother, 21 possessions is OK. Goddard didn’t do enough, we needed him to provide a strong body but he failed to do that. Leunenberger I’ll give a pass for his first game, battled OK.

The rest were terrible. Cooney is an utter disgrace, honestly don’t know why we bother playing him anymore as he’s just taking the spot of a McKenna or Laverde. When Rioli calls you out for effort you know you’re a pea heart. Seriously is past it, fumbles, makes bad decisions, undos the good work from Parish a few times with stupid play and he’s stopped trying. Tried a lazy kick off the ground because he can’t be stuffed anymore. Seriously, get him out as he’s a genuine liability to the side. Parish should 100x the heart this guy did. 1 possession in the first and not bothering to chase. Once again gets a few very late possesions to sneak to over the double digits.

Both Simpkin and Dea played exactly why they got delisted. A few meaningless touches and basically invisible and some costly mistakes as the pressure was too much. I’d like both to be dropped next week, but probably wont. Ambrose is seriously a joke now, he gave away frees and was outpointed easily down back. I have no idea what his role is now because he gave nothing offensively and isn’t good enough defensively. And don’t get me started on Bird. Boy, has a player had a worse start than he has after being traded? 11 touches for a seasoned midfielder and gave us absolutley nothing. Poor NAB form has continued and if he isn’t dropped I’ll be amazed.

Crowley was poor and was completley outpointed by Ablett, I guess he isn’t the first. Gleeson was poor, honestly he needs to learn when to play on and when not to. Randomly playing on at all costs and then turning it straight over does no one any good. Disapointing performance. SMACK played his worst game for us also, whilst Brown was over rawed. Oh, and Gwilt… take a shot every time you see him fall over and look like a crab trying to get up for 3 seconds. God. Daniher still plays his loose games. He’ll be OK but still misses some sitters and wheels around bigger than a Mac Truck.

That’s my thoughts. 3 or 4 positives but overall pretty bad. Next week I’d say OUT: Cooney, Ambrose, Simpkin, Dea & Bird. And bring IN: Laverde, McKenna, Edwards, Grimley & Hartley. I don’t care if Laverde hasn’t had 6 full matches in the VFL. Anyone but Cooney.

Ha... Pies down by 62 at half time.

Pies clearly do not deserve to play on Anzac day .

Not with all this “drugs scandal” surrounding them
Very poor look for the good of the game

Wow wee watching the collingwood game! The commentators are saying the pies must be off because of the illicit drugs scandal! Well f me if they had to put up with what we have for 3 fn years

What the hell were you people expecting?

Effort

Are you serious. We had a bunch of geriatrics vs the no 1 and 2 draft picks and they cracked in all day. Look at this Collingwood garbage in comparison.

Look, first half was really horrible. But, to the boys' credit they only lost the last half by just over a few goals, so let's hope we don't give Melbourne a 10 goal start before we start playing something resembling football.

We had 3 obvious stand outs for us. Zerrett was outstanding and BOG for us for mine. 31 possessions, 12 contested, and his ball use all game was first rate and was what was the big factor for me. Silky and composed and always choose the best option even when he didn’t have much to work with. Genuinley exciting and everyone talks about Cripps, but he’ll be right up there in 2 years.

Zaharakis was also excellent, kept running all game, 33 possesions and could have had 4 goals. Pretty much our only link up player all game and I dare say this will be his best year of his career. A pity he couldn’t do it when we in finals contention but better late than never. If he doesn’t win our B&F then Zerrett will.

Parish was fantastic for a first game. 25 possessions, 6 tackles, 12 contested possesions and 6 clearances. He started off with some poor kicks but his endeavor, run, and handballing especially was first class. His tackling put some of the experienced boys to shame.

Big, big gap from the rest. Stokes was very laconic in the first half, dropped sitters and missed a goal from 2m out… But he got better later in the game and gave us 3 goals so you’d have to say he did his job and easily the best from the top ups. He knows how to find space so he’s a value player to us up forward.

Other than that there’s not much else to pull from the game. Tippa tried very hard and his chasing was a bonus and a positive from the game. I’d like to see him put on the wings because he was the only Essendon player that seemed to remotley rush and harrass opposition players with the ball. A definite tick from me, just needs to find more of the ball.

Kelly was OK I guess, got a lot of it, but butchered and rushed it and despite the possession count didn’t play very well, maybe a bare pass. Hopefully he just irons out those kinks because he’ll be a very valuable player for us this year. Other than that I guess you could say Jerrett tried hard but nowhere near his brother, 21 possessions is OK. Goddard didn’t do enough, we needed him to provide a strong body but he failed to do that. Leunenberger I’ll give a pass for his first game, battled OK.

The rest were terrible. Cooney is an utter disgrace, honestly don’t know why we bother playing him anymore as he’s just taking the spot of a McKenna or Laverde. When Rioli calls you out for effort you know you’re a pea heart. Seriously is past it, fumbles, makes bad decisions, undos the good work from Parish a few times with stupid play and he’s stopped trying. Tried a lazy kick off the ground because he can’t be stuffed anymore. Seriously, get him out as he’s a genuine liability to the side. Parish should 100x the heart this guy did. 1 possession in the first and not bothering to chase. Once again gets a few very late possesions to sneak to over the double digits.

Both Simpkin and Dea played exactly why they got delisted. A few meaningless touches and basically invisible and some costly mistakes as the pressure was too much. I’d like both to be dropped next week, but probably wont. Ambrose is seriously a joke now, he gave away frees and was outpointed easily down back. I have no idea what his role is now because he gave nothing offensively and isn’t good enough defensively. And don’t get me started on Bird. Boy, has a player had a worse start than he has after being traded? 11 touches for a seasoned midfielder and gave us absolutley nothing. Poor NAB form has continued and if he isn’t dropped I’ll be amazed.

Crowley was poor and was completley outpointed by Ablett, I guess he isn’t the first. Gleeson was poor, honestly he needs to learn when to play on and when not to. Randomly playing on at all costs and then turning it straight over does no one any good. Disapointing performance. SMACK played his worst game for us also, whilst Brown was over rawed. Oh, and Gwilt… take a shot every time you see him fall over and look like a crab trying to get up for 3 seconds. God. Daniher still plays his loose games. He’ll be OK but still misses some sitters and wheels around bigger than a Mac Truck.

That’s my thoughts. 3 or 4 positives but overall pretty bad. Next week I’d say OUT: Cooney, Ambrose, Simpkin, Dea & Bird. And bring IN: Laverde, McKenna, Edwards, Grimley & Hartley. I don’t care if Laverde hasn’t had 6 full matches in the VFL. Anyone but Cooney.

You are actually calling out over 1/3 of the AFL team as poor. The trouble is, the selectors dont have players better than them right now to change 1/3 of the team. Have a look at the VFL reports. Every player in the VFL team was outplayed in the first half and that team was beaten by a similar margin even after the opponents switched off in the second half.

I would go for 3-4 changes at the most each week and drop the older players / top ups who are not performing first.

I was critical of this game in the first half, hmm they tried a bit harder in the 2nd. Still think there could have been a bit more passion , determination etc from some of the players, but after watching some of the pies/swans game, ■■■■■■ hell The Filth are ■■■■ atm, but according to BT alluding to the drugs issue, it’s had an affect, what a fu c k ing load of BS, and everyone takes his ■■■■ on board, f**ing spare me.

It’s fun to laugh at Collingwood but imagine if Sydney played us this weekend…

It's fun to laugh at Collingwood but imagine if Sydney played us this weekend...

why? did a bunch of our players get sucked into a drug scandal or something?

Geez there are a lot of Blah Blah Blah To me it looked like a team that SHOULDN'T BE FLAMED first up, AND INTERSTATE. They fumbled and turned it over when the blowtorch came on early on, which was hardly a surprise. Got better in the second half and they certainly sharpened up a bit. Check back around week 8 to see if we've improved, I'm betting we will. They NEED time together. Positives -For me, the invisible ruckman, Leuy. Not only did he win the ruck count but he put a number on the chests of our mids, even though they still fumbled a few. If he stays fit we won't be hammered in the ruck, which has to be a positive. The downside is that he is a pure all game ruckman and Smack's going to have to realise he's up front mostly and live with it. -Wouldn't mind seeing Smack throw his weight around a bit more- a few weeks off for "over enthusiasm" will keep him fit and this season is a bit different. -The mids didn't always hit the target but they got the ball a bit as the game went on. I'm ready to give them time to gel, you lot can please yourselves. -I honestly thought we'd be absolutely steamrolled in the last quarter and lose by a hundred plus. But they held out and they can only get stronger. -Paddy Ambrose got sent to the wolves and had his colours lowered, like most of the team, but he kept at it and I hope he gets a chance next week as a third defender who provides the support to the KPDs. -Zaha, Zerrett, Kelly, Stokes, Parish, Goddard, Jerrett all got over 20 possessions which is hopefully the nucleus of a competitive midfield, especially if Leuy stays fit. Negatives Life's too short

I hope the selectors give them a fair run before panicking, like half of Blitz it seems - I mean, really, what cloud are you occupying? Or do you just get a perverse kick out of saying, I told you so. I’d definitely give Cooney another go and send selections from the Blitz match thread just to fire him up.
I actually enjoyed the game and reckon we’ll get better. Why did I enjoy it? Just watch Parish in the second half, if you can’t enjoy that, take up Bridge.

Good summary. Agree with most of it but certainly did not see Ambrose as a positive. I just can’t see a position where he will be successful in an AFL side and thought he was very ordinary.

Look, first half was really horrible. But, to the boys' credit they only lost the last half by just over a few goals, so let's hope we don't give Melbourne a 10 goal start before we start playing something resembling football.

You are actually calling out over 1/3 of the AFL team as poor. The trouble is, the selectors dont have players better than them right now to change 1/3 of the team. Have a look at the VFL reports. Every player in the VFL team was outplayed in the first half and that team was beaten by a similar margin even after the opponents switched off in the second half.

I would go for 3-4 changes at the most each week and drop the older players / top ups who are not performing first.

Because over 1/3 of the team were poor. I’d rather 6-8 touches from McKenna than any of those other guys any day of the week. Same goes for any of the others listed.

Its the listed players who annoyed me most today.

Bird has been utterly sh*t every time he’s pulled on the jumper, cooney is a absolute embarrasment. Ambrose is NOT afl standard. Why the fk did we play him over hartley? Goddard was poor, as were gleeson, gwilt and mckernan. Daniher needs to stop thinking he is 5 foot and as quick as cyril. Needs a LOT more composure.

Zaka, parish, z merrett, stokes in the 2nd half. Hats off. Apart from that, not much to smile about

Just got back from the game. Was worth going alone to watch and see how good parish is and how good he will be. Zakka great game tonight one of his better if not best individual games. Simpkin to me was the only real bad one. Put on very little effort.
Stokes a super effort.
The side looked like a side that had only met 8 weeks ago. Biggest disappointment was the non tackling. Woosha must have hammered them about that at q time.
Look overall it was about pat with my expectations, so many rusty and not fit players . I think we will embarrass a few in the second half of the year

It wasn’t good, but it could have been a heck of a lot worse. A glimmer of hope for the future in the second half. Hang in there, guys. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.

We might be above Collingwood on the ladder

Positives:
Draft pick no. 1.
Only 21 games to go.
Cooney won’t be there next year.

Negatives:
Ran out of Guinness.

What the hell were you people expecting?

Not a lot, just a bit more passion and grunt and to “have a go”, which i realise means different to other people. What I expect and what the next Blitzer expects, could be two thousand different things.

yes but a 1/3 of our list shouldn’t even be on the list.

I actually wasn’t too disappointed. It seemed like the structures are still being learned. The players didn’t quite seem to have the game plan ingrained. Combine that with every loose ball bouncing GCS way for the day, and the first 12 frees of the match going to the opposition and it was always going to be ugly. But at quarter time I doubt anyone thought we’d get out of it under 100 points. As the game wore on they got better, they started to find teammates a bit more, and although they were still outplayed it was nowhere near as bad as it appeared it might become.

And then to balance that, you can’t help but think Parish and Zac Merrett in combination is going to be special.

I thought that a couple of the selection decisions were found out today. The biggest one being leaving out Grimley. All pre season the structure has been Daniher/Grimley/Resting ruck. I can understand that they wanted more run in Rd 1 against a side that runs hard out of defence, but I think the structure needed a tall in the goalsquare for when Daniher gets it 80m out. Instead we had smalls running back who weren’t as quick as their GCS opponents. If we doubted Grimley’s form I’d have used Michael.

The other one was obviously not playing the 199cm KPD, and going with Brown + Ambrose and Gwilt. I can understand the thinking, but we didn’t have the options for Lynch. Maybe if you play Michael at FF you can send him back if Lynch gets off the leash, or maybe you need Hartley and only one of Ambrose/Gwilt (or Francis!) (and perhaps having Ashby would help there given his ability overhead as the 4th defender).

Anyway, a long way to go in the year, and probably not a surprise first up, given this team has never played together. I wouldn’t judge GCS in any way after today. To declare them bottom 4, or top 8 makes no sense. They have a lot of young quick runners through the midfield, only time will tell whether we just got spanked by a bottom 4 side or by a side that is a lot better than that. But whatever, it was more about us, and our team’s learning at this stage. And there’s a long way to go. But that’s OK. Next week we front up again, and learn a bit more.

Better than Collingwood

Collingwood have no excuses.

Well they do Coke

Fixed