Ess vs. Saints review thread

From Bomber's presser:

*We weren't physically or mentally ready to play

*Bomber basically intimating that we didn't take them seriously enough and maybe expected to just turn up get the points. 

*whoa - Bomber saying he doesn't know how much recovery the boys actually did and that the 'good players he's been involved with, would have been doing way more, extra massages etc and doing everything to get right for the game....pretty damning for all concerned. 

*No bounces after half time, even though the team were asked to run and take risks at half time. 

*Tall forwards spent a lot of the night competing against numbers - was a team thing, not a forward thing

*Winderlich couldn't play 3 games in a row with a 6 day break (between tonight and Anzac Day)

*Hooker was 'having a bit of trouble with the legs tonight'

*We didn't go in ready as a club, we missed a great opportunity (NO FARKING SHIT BOMBER!)

*We "had a bad start, lost our way, didnt know what to do and we ran out of time" (maybe Bomber is still clowning)

* We haven't had any new instances of flu/gastro for 4 days

*8-10 players and a few staff had copped the flu

*We'll be up for the game against Collingwood....

If we had as much effort as excuses we’d be a pretty good side.

Not sure St Kilda are that good?
Essendon certainly made them look top 8 material
If Essendon are serious about their own top 4 aspirations they need to make a statement this Friday

Gotta give the saints credit. Many thought they would be wooden spooners. And many thought we will be top eight.
We may have made the saints look like top eight tonight....and in fact they are in the eight and we are not.
Gutted and disappointed. We need to play consistent footy each week...good teams do that and we haven't got that consistency yet.

Hmmmmmmm

Lack of movement when we had the ball was startling - not much happening at all. I understand the logic of retaining possession (and taken to its logical end, it means a lot of kicking backwards and sideways), but it can't be at the expense of moving the ball forward.

Maintaining possession only works when the guys are up, making space, working.
Instead of doing that, which has worked pretty well so far, we didn't. Thusly we had no-one to kick to, lob a 30m pass forward to a 2 on 1 (their way), watch it come past you.
They Knightsed us, everyone run back, get the ball, run forward. Simple, ugly, but effective.

We are not a top 4 side…period.

We will not get close against Collingwood this week…period.

Our effort continues to be conditional and we still produce performances like the last halves of season consistently, our best is inspiring or worst insipid…we can’t possibly challenge this year.

It is possible that the bug going around this week may have affected the players. Even having a cold can reduce efficiency. Who knows.
Im going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Either way it is not an excuse and is irrelevant.
We were nothing short of pathetic tonight, "flu" or no "flu".

Its an excuse for people who don't want to accept we were crap and couldn't think our way through the opposition tactics.

If we had as much effort as excuses we'd be a pretty good side.

Ha I'm with you Baxter....struggle to cop excuses for lack of effort on behalf of blokes getting paid big nicker to PLAY FOOTY for a job

Admittedly I only saw the second half, but even though we were terrible, that looked like one out of the box from the Saints - so its hard to put the result completely on us being awful.
Carlisle is totally lost and needs to return back when Fletcher retires or is injured.
Ashby and Gleeson continued to show signs.
Zaha and Melk can be very very soft footballers at times.
Hooker's a dead set star.
Forwardline remains completely disfunctional.
Bring on the Pies. Fingers crossed.

They are not very good. Worked to a plan, but it's a plan that's sort of accepting you're not going to win on merit and it's not going to work once teams have had a look at it.

Is this the first time since the darkest say in sport that we'll be under serious pressure for purely football reasons?

Will be interesting to see how everyone responds.

Agree.

Nothing to hide behind now.

Can we move this thread to The Sorry Saga?

Also - Ben Howlett is as much a forward as he is a ruckman

If he’s in the 22, it’s as midfielder, play him there. Just doesn’t have many tricks up his sleeve as a forward, not quick, not a great kick (not even composed within his limitations), don’t get it.

if only we could play Carlton every week.

From Bomber's presser:
*Bomber basically intimating that we didn't take them seriously enough and maybe expected to just turn up get the points.
*whoa - Bomber saying he doesn't know how much recovery the boys actually did and that the 'good players he's been involved with, would have been doing way more, extra massages etc and doing everything to get right for the game....pretty damning for all concerned.

Didn't miss, definitely not a diplomat.
Hope that hits home.

Dempsey would have been massive tonight. I hope he gets back soon.

I’m a Gleeson fan like all of us but for people to say he continued to impress tonight. I think he was ■■■■■■■■ like about 16 others to be honest.

Coaching was horrible also. Why did hooker not take reiwoldt?? Like he has done the past 5 years

Anyway bring on Anzac day

Admittedly I only saw the second half, but even though we were terrible, that looked like one out of the box from the Saints - so its hard to put the result completely on us being awful.
Carlisle is totally lost and needs to return back when Fletcher retires or is injured.
Ashby and Gleeson continued to show signs.
Zaha and Melk can be very very soft footballers at times.
Hooker's a dead set star.
Forwardline remains completely disfunctional.
Bring on the Pies. Fingers crossed.

They are not very good. Worked to a plan, but it's a plan that's sort of accepting you're not going to win on merit and it's not going to work once teams have had a look at it.

And JoeD is a boy playing a man's game at the moment. He needs TBell back in the team so he can go back to the twos and get some touch and confidence. Plus he needs more gym time. Gets out-muscled in contests and goes to ground too easily.
Forward line is a big concern. Hard to see where the goals are going to come from on a regular basis.

So anyway, I just got home, looks like that's another game I'm gonna have to repress.

The only positive was Gleeson, he did some alright stuff...that is all

From Bomber's presser:

Didn't miss, definitely not a diplomat.
Hope that hits home.

Not sure I'm convinced that it will. 

I mean look at the players who played tonight, sure there were a few youngsters but the majority are experienced AFL players. 

For Bomber to basically imply that they took the opposition lightly and didn't prepare as professional footballers says a lot. 

Geelong had a very good list and Chris Scott is still reaping the benefits.

tom Harley is being made to look very stupid right now.

I must've missed the part where he actually ever said anything intelligent.

I’m gutted. I’ve thought up every excuse I possibly could, but none of them give us the four points. I thought, it was the heat in Perth last week that took its toll this week, but no four points. It was the 6 day break, no points. I even went so far as to say if Reiwoldt hadn’t played we would have won, but he did and we didn’t. I honestly don’t know where we’re at at the moment and I can see 2014 slowly starting to slip away from us, unless, we can beat Collingwood on Anzac Day, please God, let it be.