Ess vs. Saints review thread

Smells of Brisbane last year.

Sure did

Hooker has gained a few yards in pace, nice chase down in the second I think.

The good is we've tried to play the same tactic for all 5 games this season. The bad is that we've played enough games now for other teams to figure out how to stop it.

I'm fairly sure the saints first 6 or 7 came from turnovers with very little pressure on the kicker in our back half but a lot of pressure to whom they were kicking it to.

On TV they were screaming that our forwards didn't to much, but to be honest i'm not sure they could do much when we were struggling to get it past the half way mark.

StKilda killed us on possession and killed us with defensive work.

Zaharakis started well and faded.

Watson seems unsure where he is supposed to be. He perhaps tried to do it all but could do little in the end. I'm not sure this game plan works well for him.

Melksham as a forward doesn't seem right.

Hocking I didn't see much of.

Gleeson continues to impress.

Stanton really worked hard and gave us options whenever he could.

Paddy gave us some good taps and some leads late in the game.

Myers did go in for repeated efforts.

Our forward line needs stability! I don't want to see more changes in key positions in the forward or backline. The midfield i'm sure would like to learn who to kick to as well from time to time.

If I had to sum up tonight in one or two words it would be 'confused' and 'unsure'.

Good post, and I agree about Watson, don't think our game plan suits his style at all.

Why was Hocking subbed? I know he wasn’t playing well, but if it was down to form we simply had to ditch one of Carlisle/Daniher and get some run going.

We go the switch across half back nearly evertime

Predictable

Oh wouldn't hurt our game plan too much either if we could hand ball into the persons hands as opposed to their heads, knees, feet, grass, behind or way too far out in front.

And for a game played under a roof, boy we were misreading the flight of a lot of balls!

Think Heppell's going to see a lot more attention after how he dealt with the tag tonight.

Based on tonight’s effort I can’t us beating Collingwood - but for goodness sake can they please show some spine? That was dreadful, lazy football

You don’t get extra premiership points for winning on Anzac day.

Think Heppell's going to see a lot more attention after how he dealt with the tag tonight.

Would've been nice if someone else stood up in his place.

It is possible that the bug going around this week may have affected the players. Even having a cold can reduce efficiency. Who knows.
Im going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Either way it is not an excuse and is irrelevant.
We were nothing short of pathetic tonight, "flu" or no "flu".

Fking hard to watch, and even harder to swallow a performance like that. We were two things tonight: lazy and dumb. No one bothered to get switched on and as much as I love him, Jobe and the leaders went missing in the second half when we needed a lift. Fully expect to see Daniher back in the twos as soon as Belly's available. Nothing personal but we're too top heavy in the F50 and it isn't working. A spell being the go-to guy could be what he needs to start clunking them. Winders and Dempsey remain big outs and we're not really a finals team without those two guys.

Given Watson was completely ineffective and no one else stood up he will now get the hard tag every week.
Zaka, Buddha, howlett, melksham, et all should be embarrassed.
BJ would've responded if he was there I reckon.

Admittedly I only saw the second half, but even though we were terrible, that looked like one out of the box from the Saints - so its hard to put the result completely on us being awful.

Carlisle is totally lost and needs to return back when Fletcher retires or is injured.

Ashby and Gleeson continued to show signs.

Zaha and Melk can be very very soft footballers at times.

Hooker's a dead set star.

Forwardline remains completely disfunctional.

Bring on the Pies. Fingers crossed.

Suffering the effects of the WA trip?

Has Essendon’s bubble burst a lot sooner than expected?

Not sure St Kilda are that good?

Essendon certainly made them look top 8 material

If Essendon are serious about their own top 4 aspirations they need to make a statement this Friday

Is this the first time since the darkest say in sport that we'll be under serious pressure for purely football reasons?

Will be interesting to see how everyone responds.

its not june

You don't get extra premiership points for winning on Anzac day.

No but you pay more to go watch it, and get to here everyone else whine why you get to play on it all year.

Why was Hocking subbed? I know he wasn't playing well, but if it was down to form we simply had to ditch one of Carlisle/Daniher and get some run going.

Probable broken hand,

I think the short turn around and game in the heat out west took it out of them. We looked flat and lacked run, so I wonder if the recovery thru the week was really managed as well as needed.
Interesting that Freo also struggled and lost to a team they should really have beaten.

Completely agree! Was at the game and said to my friend they are going to loose 10 mins into the first quarter! No one was spreading for the kick out from the back line! Zaka, Hewlett, Watson were on there haunches about 20 mins into the 1st quarter. They were pretty lifeless to be honest
I saw the freo game this arvo and thought exactly the same thing.
I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt - 6 day turn around, 32 degree heat and the illness running through the club