Essendon 1983 reserves premiership side to be honoured

The players will have a function to celebrate 30 years since defeating collingwood .

gary sheldon     doug cox      anthony obrien

mark thompson  ron andrews  steve duncan

michael thomson  kevin morris mark eustice

merv harbinson    frank dunnell  graeme schultz

steve richardson        andrew callaghan    wayne beddison

paul salmon   alan stoneham   chris waterson

int :shane irwin   peter banfield  michael davis

coach kevin morris

1 Like

there’s a few characters amongst that lot!

1 Like

i cant remember a obrien, ?.

ronny andrews was informed about the function on wednesday he now drives a school bus and was at aquarium in the city.

i remember the game well we started badly but won by 5 goals.

As I recall it, Salmon absolutely dominated that game from the ruck. 

Just a little side note on the reserves.

1983 reserves premiership

1992 reserves premiership

1999 reserves premiership

So when we win a VFL flag LOAD UP!

4 Likes

Fantastic news! Will be great to see Ronny being honoured by the club for that win.

Bomber c - are you saying he is back in Melbourne now from living in the Mildura area for many years?

there's a few characters amongst that lot!

Yep. Micky Thomson did the funniest thing I ever saw on a footy field - and right in front of the Social Club at Windy Hill.

Fantastic news! Will be great to see Ronny being honoured by the club for that win.

Bomber c - are you saying he is back in Melbourne now from living in the Riverina area for many years?

not in melbourne albert unconfirmed but think its wentworth.

Thanks, bc. Thought he had been there since the '80s, Must have misunderstood your post.

Still think he should be remembered as one of the greats of EFC.

ronny andrews was informed about the function on wednesday he now drives a school bus and was at aquarium in the city.

IIRC O'Brien was the son of the people who had the catering concessions at all the VFL / AFL grounds.  

IIRC O'Brien was the son of the people who had the catering concessions at all the VFL / AFL grounds.  

yes you are right obrien catering but i just cant remember anthony.

Andrew Callaghan was a bit of a cult figure to the boys in the scoreboard pocket at Windy Hill. Only 5’11" but built like a tank and played in the ruck. Everyone called him Dirty Harry.

Andrew Callaghan was a bit of a cult figure to the boys in the scoreboard pocket at Windy Hill. Only 5'11" but built like a tank and played in the ruck. Everyone called him Dirty Harry.

Remember him well. Kicked a few goals on occasion also. Wore No.55. Thought he would've been a lock for the seniors the following year but wasn't even at the club.

I went to school with Anthony O'Brien and he lived around the corner from us in Woodlands street, opposite Napier Park. He was another from St. Bernards.

Sorry to have missed the reunion I have been off the radar for a lot of years being back in the West Hopefully I will be around for the 40th and see a few of my old team mates

10 Likes

Kevin Morris was Richmond wasn’t he.

The wheel turns.

1 Like

Paul Salmon was completely unstoppable in that side. He was just a kid, but so tall and so athletic he did whatever he wanted.

Back then, 188cm was a very decent-sized key position player. Him and Justin Madden were extracting the urine at 206.

2 Likes

Was that match a curtain raiser to the seniors GF?
I was at the GF , but have a total memory fade of anything good happening that day.

1 Like

Yep, … we ran over the Filth and I thought ,“This is a good Omen”

How bloody wrong I was.