Essendon marathon coming to Fox Footy

Yeah I noticed that. Without knowing much about the 65 win , I thought it was amazing that our scores in 65 and 84 were identical

1 Like

Itā€™s right now that I wish the old man had hung on a bit longer. He would love this.

3 Likes

no good, hopefully that is just a short term thing and they fix it. Does much get cut off?

That was brilliant.

Canā€™t wait till next week.

Got a bit teary on occasions

6 Likes

Theyā€™ve done a marvelous job with how much respect theyā€™ve paid to our past legends of the club. The first two episodes alone, serve as a real opportunity to educate the youth of today about this clubs great heritage. Kudos to them.

5 Likes

Loved that Bluey Shelton quote:

ā€œWith Coleman wanting us to play more aggressively, it meant a bit more physical stuff from the likes of ā€¦ meā€

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: just a classic understated deadpan delivery

9 Likes

Clearly this is something that all new Draftees & new players must watch, on their first day at the club.

They are the custodians of wearing the jumper and that there is a rich 150 history to the number they are wearing.

3 Likes

If only we could get this to happen. No more stupid tattoos, haircuts, or stupid facial hair.

1 Like

Loved Sarah Jones tribute to her grandad as well. Iā€™m not crying, youā€™re crying

11 Likes

Essendon beat Carlton in the 1962 GF with that scoreline, it seems

1 Like

Would love to hear any first or second hand stories from anyone on here to tell us more about these players and matches. Noonan, anyone

I didnā€™t see much of these guys in action but Iā€™ve been lucky enough to have met quite a few of them socially and professionally.
Shelton, Birt, Leek, Charlie Payne, McKenzie etc.
As touched on a few times, they are, were, true gentlemen.
And D. Reynolds was the most modest footballer I have ever talked to.
We have been blessed to have had so many great men walk through the club doors.
Canā€™t wait for the next episodes - loving it!

5 Likes

Eugh, really annoying with the first one seeming to be cut off on kayo. Might just wait for subsequent episodes to pop up in estonia instead.

Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll have the box set of DVDā€™s at the bomber shop

Great recap with Harvā€™s, Ken Fraser, Ted Fordham, & Dan Eddie.

A lot more stories being told about Reynolds & Coleman

4 Likes

loved it & canā€™t wait until next Tuesday.

Sent an email to the club (Xavier) this morning saying how much we enjoyed the first two episodes.
Xavier replied, thanking us & saying how wonderfully connected & generous those players from the 50ā€™s & 60ā€™s have been and what absolute gentlemen they are.

10 Likes

Except where she plugged FuxFooty in her tribute. Tasteless, & shameless.

I thought it was a pretty well put together couple of episodes, great use of archival material in particular. Lachy Hulmeā€™s narration felt a bit over the top in trying to place great meaning on every single thing but I donā€™t like him in general so maybe Iā€™m just biased there.

Looking at the list of episodes itā€™s a shame that it looks like the entirety of the clubs history up until the late 60s was reduced to two episodes focusing largely on just Reynolds and Coleman. I guess it plays into the hero-worship nature of sports and the figures that clubs are built around. Obviously itā€™s a shortcoming of the talking heads format of the documentary that you canā€™t go find people around from the 19th century to tell us stories about the club then!

I found some of the stories a bit like Abe Simpsonā€™s onion-on-the-belt story telling but no doubt Iā€™ll eat them up when itā€™s players from my childhood talking! In the end, itā€™s made for its audience and does a good job at giving the fans the sort of stuff they want.

3 Likes

A lack of people and a lack of archival film footage. You can only show still photos for so long on a TV show. Even last night, a few photos were recycled a couple of times.

2 Likes