Essendon Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFopkXG329g

and a short biosketch of Tim - an over-achiever

Tim Watson attended Dimboola Primary School, and then Dimboola Memorial High School between 1974 - 1977.

Tim received a Sports Certificate for his outstanding performances in football and athletics in 1975. In 1976 he was in the Boys Senior Football Team which won the premiership that year and he was also in the Boys Junior Basketball Team which won the Interschool Juniors Trophy.

In 1977, Tim played again in the Boys Senior Football Team that won the premiership for the second consecutive year.

While Tim was attending DMHS he also had some other outstanding performances in football outside the school. He captained an Under 13 Victorian Team to play in New Guinea and he was Best & Fairest in the Victorian Under 15 Team.

Tim left Dimboola during 1977 to play for Essendon in the VFL and he spent his last two years of school in Melbourne. At the age of 15 years and 10 months, Tim played his first game in the Senior league and was the second youngest player in League history to do so. Playing for Essendon, Tim had his setbacks with injuries but despite this he has always been a star. He was a most accomplished ruck rover and half forward who possessed a powerful dash and big kick. Tim achieved much while playing for Essendon and some of these things are:

• youngest VFL player to play 100 games;
  • Essendon Best & Fairest - 1980, 85, 88 and 89;
  • state team representative for Victoria;
  • voted most popular footballer in Australia of all football codes in 1989;
  • captain for Essendon 1989-1991;
  • 1989 - VFL Players Association "Captain of the Year";
  • 1989 - VFL Players Association "Most Valuable Player"; and
  • 1989 - Sun Medal Winner - Best Player.

Tim played a total of 17 seasons for Essendon totalling 307 games and kicking 337 goals. Tim first represented Victoria at the age of only 19 and played for the State 10 times. In 1994 Tim retired from football to take up a career in the media, among other things being a Sports Commentator for Channel Seven. In 1999 his love of football lifted a level when Tim was appointed coach of St Kilda Football Club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFopkXG329g

and a short biosketch of Tim - an over-achiever

Tim Watson attended Dimboola Primary School, and then Dimboola Memorial High School between 1974 - 1977.

Tim received a Sports Certificate for his outstanding performances in football and athletics in 1975. In 1976 he was in the Boys Senior Football Team which won the premiership that year and he was also in the Boys Junior Basketball Team which won the Interschool Juniors Trophy.

In 1977, Tim played again in the Boys Senior Football Team that won the premiership for the second consecutive year.

While Tim was attending DMHS he also had some other outstanding performances in football outside the school. He captained an Under 13 Victorian Team to play in New Guinea and he was Best & Fairest in the Victorian Under 15 Team.

Tim left Dimboola during 1977 to play for Essendon in the VFL and he spent his last two years of school in Melbourne. At the age of 15 years and 10 months, Tim played his first game in the Senior league and was the second youngest player in League history to do so. Playing for Essendon, Tim had his setbacks with injuries but despite this he has always been a star. He was a most accomplished ruck rover and half forward who possessed a powerful dash and big kick. Tim achieved much while playing for Essendon and some of these things are:

• youngest VFL player to play 100 games;
  • Essendon Best & Fairest - 1980, 85, 88 and 89;
  • state team representative for Victoria;
  • voted most popular footballer in Australia of all football codes in 1989;
  • captain for Essendon 1989-1991;
  • 1989 - VFL Players Association "Captain of the Year";
  • 1989 - VFL Players Association "Most Valuable Player"; and
  • 1989 - Sun Medal Winner - Best Player.
Tim played a total of 17 seasons for Essendon totalling 307 games and kicking 337 goals. Tim first represented Victoria at the age of only 19 and played for the State 10 times. In 1994 Tim retired from football to take up a career in the media, among other things being a Sports Commentator for Channel Seven. In 1999 his love of football lifted a level when Tim was appointed coach of St Kilda Football Club.

It's worth pointing out that Tim's career was divided in two by a bad leg injury in 1986. I think it was a knee ligament requiring a reconstruction, but it may have been a broken leg; my memory fails me. That injury and the full season (or thereabouts) layoff that it caused robbed him of a yard of pace. Until the injury he had been lightning quick as well as incredibly strong and powerful: if you think of Adam Goodes four or five years ago charging down a wing in full flight you'll get an idea of what Tim Watson was like in the first half of the eighties.
After the injury he wasn't slow, but he wasn't lightning quick, and he relied more on his strength. He was a sensational inside player at stoppages and was able to hang on long enough to play in the 1993 premiership.

It was a knee reconstruction. Adam Goodes at his fastest wouldn't get near Watson in full flight.

If I could, I would like to self indulge a little and this thread seems the most relevant place for it...

I would like to know if anyone has a copy of Bon Jovi's "It's My Life" that was put together by someone at the club as a motivational presentation to the players prior to the 2000 GF?  I appear in a crowd shot in it (standing up pointing to my heart and saying that a carltank player's effort was as "...weak as piss..." during the 2000 Preliminary Final) and although I have it on VHS I would like to have it on my computer.

If someone does have it could they please PM me a link?

Thanks.

Gents, 

does anyone have a working link to the TD and Alan Stoneham Open Mike episodes?

Never got a chance to watch them.

Cheers

1 Like

If I could, I would like to self indulge a little and this thread seems the most relevant place for it...

I would like to know if anyone has a copy of Bon Jovi's "It's My Life" that was put together by someone at the club as a motivational presentation to the players prior to the 2000 GF?  I appear in a crowd shot in it (standing up pointing to my heart and saying that a carltank player's effort was as "...weak as piss..." during the 2000 Preliminary Final) and although I have it on VHS I would like to have it on my computer.

Thanks.

lt should be easier to get the VHS transferred to a jpg.

Thanks.

lt should be easier to get the VHS transferred to a jpg.

Thanks, but I was hoping to avoid asking my carlank supporting colleague to do it for me.  Might just have to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69EYYSZuZPI

Paul Hills makes me barf every time I see him in a video...

For God’s sake, mate, he played for the Bombers and he did his best and he was good enough to play in a premiership team. Show a little respect.

Paul Hills makes me barf every time I see him in a video…

Forgot about this thread, will add some more videos tonight.

Some might scoff at the suggestion of what I’m about to post as old but alas, found this full game radio call of a game against St Kilda in 1991 and thought we should have a bit of an archive of stuff like this for Blitz. You oldies should throw in any other hidden gems you find or have at home!

News report after 1993 Grand Final #farkcarlton

1996 Semi v West Coast

1 Like

Few more for a rainy day

v West Coast round 10 2003

And How good was 2005…
Round 3 v Hawthorn

Round 18 v Geelong

How far over the line does the Fitzroy guy step out in the first kick-out?!?

Can’t believe this was almost 5 years ago.

1 Like
1 Like

Sewell was lucky Lloyd didn’t turn sideways and hit him with the shoulder instead… he was labelled a sledgehammer for a reason.

Quoted Post

Can't believe this was almost 5 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwcbMqMWtdQ

8m 53sec “Will Fletcher play on next year?” lol…

1 Like

And the question with 30 seconds to go!