Essendon Videos

2 Likes

Kickett to Mercuri @ 12.52 :heart:

I remember that video. There’s a bit where Ian Robertson is talking about Paul Hudson, who had just had Mark Thompson shifted onto him. He says something like Hudson will have to realise that the intensity of Mark Thompson is far greater than he’s experienced so far. It stuck in my mind.

Yep, he said that after two passages of play that Thompson dominated. Hudson was very quiet in the footage they showed, only touched the ball once or twice iirc. Great video from the greatest season ever.

Watson magic, a sublime young Hird and a Boris barrel. What’s not to like! :grinning:

5 Likes

l found this last night. Plenty of memorable snippets.

2 Likes

This is the last televised AFL game at Windy Hill, late in ‘91 v Sydney. The official last AFL game at WH was against Brisbane but it wasn’t televised. Simon Madden with 7 goals.

bump

Please explain:

He’s not very good at that drill.

video they forgot to unlist?

I was there. A definite feeling of euphoria that we were on the rise.

1 Like

“We’re called the Bombers” was tried as a replacement for “See the Bombers Fly Up” IIRC, and the first bit is Uncle Doug. I thought everyone knew this- am I the @Mero of footy theme club songs?

Thanks for that. Not often I get to crack myself up.

I should use that more often in everydy life. Not many will get it, but I’ll always get a giggle out of it, … :smirk:

1 Like

Great video here of an early 1989 game between Hawthorn and Essendon. Tony Antrobus played a great game in particular. Didn’t work out for him in his time at the club but he looked a class player…

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but the EFC website has a History page with each premiership highlighted and some have a video package. At least up to 1949, as the earlier ones bring up an error message.

2 Likes

This is a loss, but one that should be watched from start to finish. Essendon and West Coast, both undefeated, met at Windy Hill. We were well below strength going into the game and that only got worse as messers Long, Bewick, Salmon, Heard and a number of others sustained injuries during the match. At one point we had just 17 men on the field. A gallant performance, despite conceding the first 5 goals of the game, the Dons refused to yield, a purple patch from halfway through the 2nd quarter until early in the 3rd saw the Bombers amazingly hit the front, the highlight a goal from Simon Madden after marking 50m out on the flank, he played on, dodging the man on the mark and slotting it on the run from a tight angle. A vintage display by the champion ruckman, not only kicking goals but was also a one-man wall across the half-back line taking a number of high-flying marks and repelling Eagle attacks. Eventually the Eagles would win but the Bombers were far from disgraced. How good was a Windy Hill crowd back in the day?

9 Likes

Essendon V WCE 2004 on TV right now.

1948 makes me glitch out, too.

FFS.

In that game watch Sommerville take mark of the year at 1.39.37.

“They’ll be talking about that in a century!”

Where “they” is a very limited subset.

1 Like