Essendon Videos

Check out this YouTube channel. Plenty of full length Essendon matches from 2000.

Here’s an example:

1 Like

anyone got anymore videos from 93 ??

just watched some in here and from memory the clips are from the video bomberblitz about the great 93 season.

god seems so long ago.

ok found it, for anyone who wants a good footy story to watch.
edit god it’s been 21 years since waverley park was up and running, wow where the ■■■■ has time gone.

1 Like

Like there’s not enough pain in the world I just watched the 1989 2nd Semi. Interesting given all of the recent talk about the classic Hawthorn v Geelong epic, and I’d never seen this game despite roughly knowing it’s history and listening to it on the radio as a 10 year old.
Stray thoughts:
  • All over them early and 20 points up during the 2nd quarter, probably should have been more on play
  • Some really tough footy all throughout and pretty damn entertaining. Some great passages to watch from either side, there was some crunching tackles but obviously not the rolling stoppages like you’d see now.
  • The shining lights were mainly the young future stars: Long, Bewick, O’Donnell. The latter two gave Tuck the absolute runaround at times. Meanwhile our old stars brigade had one to absolutely forget. Watson couldn’t get near it, Madden had his colours lowered by Dear, and TD just kept getting caught with it and looking a yard slow. It’s a bit surprising how close we got considering how many players had bad days, and with the injuries that mounted up.
  • Our depth was really not near theirs, and their bottom 5 was a long way ahead of ours which you would probably say was Manning, Plain, Wallis (at the time), Bailey, Hamilton. For them maybe you’d say Wittman, Maginness, Anderson …geez you can’t list anyone else most of them were multi premiership players
  • Dermott came into the game injured and just tried to belt everyone because he couldn’t play. Turned the game by knocking out Van Der Haar, which would have been a good 6 week holiday today. About two minutes later Schwab misses the grand final for hitting Manning and it wasn’t half as bad. Any wonder Geelong went after Brereton the week after - he didn’t look up to playing for mine. Amazing the impact he had in those 2 games the bastard. The Hawks definitely flicked a switch and went into hit man mode half way through the second. Would have been nice with Harvey and Duckworth out there.
  • Kevin Walsh…forgot how quick he was. Really composed, sure could play the big fella
  • How did Van Der Haar get sent back out after being concussed? Every time he got the ball he turned it over, usually kicking on his left when there was no reason
  • Boris kicks a pretty crazy goal in the second when he falls over on the goal line and almost fluffs it
  • Good to see Dipper booed when he went near it
  • Manning’s second game for Essendon in this one. Strange selection, didn’t really have a bad game in truth. Only played another two seasons and his career was done.
  • Fish was great early but faded out. In truth we were probably a bit big. Hawks maybe ahead of their time just playing the one ruck. At the other end of the ground Dunstall and Curran just too mobile. ■■■■ Dunstall was good.
  • Anthony Daniher rushed a behind by kicking it through their goals (40:00) and the goal umpire actually called it out on the full. Was a pretty major turning point…they converted and it was tight
  • Was Antrobus the first player in the VFL to have tatts? Either way, he sure could turn it over. Poor man’s Platten I’m afraid…sorry Ant (being another mulleted Adelaide Magarey medalist)
  • In hindsight it was a bit inevitable that we would get pasted by the Cats the following week. I don’t think I can watch that one!

No one ever remembers he also retired Daisy Williams during this game.

(Yes, Daisy played the next week, but got just one kick from a free, and then acknowledged his brains were permanently scrambled.)

1 Like

Yeah did see that one. Big shirtfront, still in that mad 2nd quarter. I think it was a headclash that did the damage though to be fair. Then poor Daisy got polexed by Gary Hocking the next week and that was pretty much curtains for him. A real shame.

Also watched this the other week and had always just marked it down as a game they controlled. We were very competitive through the first half and the commentators seemed to think opposition teams pace was a weapon against the Hawks.

That run we had 89-91 would have been tough to sit through. In finals, 2 wins, 5 losses to Collingwood (twice) Hawthorn, Geelong and Melbourne. Urgh. Flags to Hawthorn/Collingwood/Hawthorn. Blergh.

The sad thing about that video is to see Mark Thompson’s honest, unlined, open face and listen to him speaking completely freely, and then to think of what a troubled, tortured human being he has become.

1 Like

was actually thinking something similar. i wonder how much was the saga, and or how much was just in general across simply just ageing.

Great game. The modern game gives nothing like that any more.

So much peaked in the 90s.

1 Like

Yeah that was a tough run. In terms of pace troubling them, it was our quick players who shone on that particular day but all over the ground they just had the class factor in their favour. If I recall we destroyed them early in 1990 so we weren’t that far away from a flag that year. Injuries and concussions were just a bit much in the end. Something clearly must have been wrong with Tim. 5 possessions in a 2nd semi against the arch enemy…I mean what the?

Apologies for the bump.

Looking for the Round 3 '04 game vs West Coast, any points in the right direction are appreciated.

It’s on Youtube in full but in rubbish quality. Cheers.

Woosha got it down pat

1 Like

The dog was the best of the three.

We were soft in that period. The only good thing that can be said about it is that we beat the teams we ought to have beaten. But we were never going to win a premiership, not even in 1990. Sheedy was still trying to make a team out of the rump of the 84-85 premiership teams, and it was never going to work and never looked like working.

Sheedy was always best at making a team from scratch. He inherited parts of a skeleton when he arrived and built the 84-85 side. Then after 1990 he threw out all the old guys and made a new team. By 1997 that team was toast, and he made a new one. He did the same thing for 2000. He was on the way to doing it again when he was sacked.

He was great at making teams, but not good at keeping them up for a long time.

1 Like

Another vhs tape that i converted to digital called Sheedy Unplugged

3 Likes
1 Like

As some would know, I have a website: www.footyjumpers.com
My next project is to link to as many games as possible.
Obviously, I’m starting with us but I guess I’ll eventually get as many up as possible.
To this end I’d like to know your thoughts (and links) to games on YouTube I can link to.
Obviously the premierships are done, as are the 1984 & 1993 finals.
I have also linked to the Comeback in 2001, Lloydy’s first game in 1995 and his day out against the Swans in 1999.
1993 Essendon Games
What other games should go first?

PS I am trying for full games if possible. But highlights are welcome where no full copy exists.

5 Likes

Start with the Lockdown Watch-along threads from last year.

2 Likes

Righto, they’re all added.

Next?