Essendon vs Adelaide - Review

I don’t know if I’m just biased against him but he seems to get a lot of the ball but the putz it up just as much. He also seems to act and hope everyone else is on the exact same wavelength rather than looking to see what is actually going on in the game.

Can we find another 2nd ruck and let Joe play 100% forward? Gee.

1 Like

He’s top 15 in the league for both marks and score involvements.

5 Likes

I agree with most opinions on this thread. But none of these talking points should be a surprise.
We have a midfield that has been beaten badly in stoppages most games and also is very poor - lazy - defensively. This weakness was certain to be exploited by the Number 1 team in the competition - who, incidentally, is not playing Scott Thompson! Would WE do that?

We were badly beaten in the air … but, then, Carlton did that last week.

Three absurd HTB decisions against us in the 1st quarter were predictably outrageous BUT why was it obvious early in the match that we would be beaten? Surely you felt this.

I HATE that our coaching strategy is ‘follow the leader’. O.K., so we’re weak in the midfield and in the air defensively. Why don’t we capitalise on our forward dominance? Daniher and Hooker in the air with Tippa and previously Fantasia at ground level. And Stewart improving as a third tall.
Why play these players in the same sort of insane neutralising cluster that every side uses? We set up offensively last week the same as Carlton! We did the same last night. Joe was matched against a much smaller opponent and wasn’t isolated. Why?

The ‘modern game’ makes no sense to me whatsoever - and is an awful and frustrating spectacle. But most people won’t admit this because the media tells them what to believe!

Eventually someone truly intelligent will take over a talented side, create a logical game-plan ignoring EVERYTHING about the current game, focusing on isolating the strengths of their list and drag this code from the S-bend.

8 Likes

He seems to do most of his work as a link up player when bringing the ball out of defence. He is regularly our go-to for this, and he’s often the guy who switches play into the corridor.

What actual position this is? Farked if I know what positions are anymore.

He’s in serious decline and his skills aren’t what they used to be, but I dunno… I reckon he still gives us a bit, and of all the old guys, he looks most likely to still contribute next year.

7 Likes

Did I watch a different match…
I thought Myers was ok and battled along hard. Is he now confirmed as whipping boy of the month?

I actually saw someone also criticise Parish’s game against a bigger stronger team. Seriously.

Followed by SMJ’s point about how some seem fixated on Worsfold and Watson being so fundamental to the reason we got beat by the best team in the comp without 2 of our best 5 players.

Why do I come here???

12 Likes

Bingo.

On the game itself: Adelaide are as good as anyone I’ve seen at forcing midfield turnovers. They have made better teams than us look really really silly this year. We’re just a bit short of the mark.

We really really really need to improve our outside mid stocks because currently it starts and ends with T Colyer and he’s in some stinky form. Top of the shopping list for mine, quick runners with good disposal and good defense.

4 Likes

He’s had a terrific year. Has not put in one poor game IMO.

2 Likes

People on here have obviously missed that our theme this year is “comeback story”. This is why we have the Dad’s army approach to our selection. We previously had “whatever it takes” with known consequences (see sorry saga thread). I’m hoping next year the marketing department goes with “win the flag”!

3 Likes

Really? I thought Goddard was particularly good last night and is having a solid season. He and Zerrett are the key marshals for us setting up offence off half back. He lacks pace but has acute awareness and goes for the inboard kicks to break the ground wide open. He gets caught out with errors at times but has to pinpoint the gaps in the corridor.

9 Likes

This!

I was too angry to post last night.

I can cop being beaten by a better team. They were very good.

What I don’t understand is why in the second half we persisted with a zone defence? Why didn’t we try making on man?

Also why is our kicking out from a behind so predictable?

7 Likes

It hurts to say this but it’s because Jerrett is injured and Redman is being settled at half back now.

I personally would’ve given Begley (and Mutch) one or two at the start of the year. There’s a big difference between debuting in a big game or final and playing your third or fourth game.

Exactly!

The umpiring was confusing yet again however they were not the difference. Our midfield is depleted and we were outcoached, outplayed and outsmarted yet again.

Woosha’s players at West Coast may have coached themselves on the field but we need help. White flag up.

He can’t very well talk about how he was outsmarted, outcoached and outplayed, can he? Adelaide are very good and a very well drilled unit - the difference between the two teams apart from the score - chalk and cheese.

I would have thought mass hypnosis was to the go.

I need to watch the replay to see watch some of some on the ump decisions without live emotion. The HTBs both missed and called were atrocious

1 Like

And; perhaps there is a smidgeon of truth in what Bomber Thompson said recently, “Essendon have no show until the banned players are no longer playing at Essendon.” The umpires seem to be on board with that theme.

1 Like