Ex-#10 Saint Francis, off to the Sydney Diocese

Dropped

No real surprise form what I saw the past 2 weeks

2 Likes

Weideman has a long way to go before we start claiming heā€™s a great success. Heā€™s had 1 reasonable and 1 excellent game.

5 Likes

He should go home and have a career in the SANFL. would probably do better at that level.

Against top sides

2 Likes

I feel sorry for Francis

7 Likes

Still only 2 games. I hope it continues btw.

Francis career was summed up in a couple of key moments yesterday. Came on and played forward. Had a couple of chances at critical times with set shots from 30. Missed them both. Then in the last with Collingwood getting away he gets into space between wing and half forward. Turns to see Buddy leading hard to the pocket, and kicks it perfectly to where Buddy was leading. The problem was Buddy hesitated in the lead, as if he was thinking of going back inside, and Francisā€™s kick ends up missing him and rolling out of bounds. Commentary hacks into Francis, but in my view it was at least 75% on Buddy for not committing to the lead.

Anyway. They were all ā€œalmostā€ moments. If it ever clicks for him you could see him becoming a footballer, but you canā€™t be confident in it ever clicking at this point.(and the missing the set shots probably cost his team the win.)

5 Likes

He is has never been very good.

Would have been an amazing park footballer.

Wasnā€™t made for AFL.

He just shows you enough to have you thinking ā€œif he can just harness thatā€¦ā€

3 Likes

Itā€™s somewhat ironic that with all the injuries in our backline we could probably do with him as cover.

2 Likes

No we couldnā€™t.

8 Likes

The guy is patently unfit and canā€™t put in repeat efforts so just comes off looking lazy.

Iā€™m sure the reasons for that are quite complex and somewhat linked to his mental health struggles but yeah. Heā€™s really done well to eek out an 8 year career in the system to be honest.

2 Likes

Its bewildering to me. He still looks so undefinedā€¦ Is it just just his genetics that he still looks so untrained in appearance? Youā€™d think Sydney of all clubs would have built his body to compete better.

We all know the challenges he faced early on in his career with his mental health and such but Iā€™d love to know in more recent years or at least since heā€™s been up north is whether he has done everything possible to realize his ability with regards to his conditioning.

Those last 5 or 6 games at the backend of the 2018 season, especially that port game suggested he was going to be an absolute beauty. How wrong we all were.

1 Like

How would they manage that in one short pre-season and a few games?

1 Like

Not ironic at all, as he isnā€™t up to it in any way, shape or form. We have tried him in defence and hs isnā€™t even the question, let alone the answer.

1 Like

sydney were missing both mccartin brothers and rampe and still chose to play mills on hawkins.

if sydney donā€™t even see the point in using him as ā€œcoverā€ with more backline injuries to their better starting 22 defenders, what do honestly think heā€™d be providing us with, other than merely a person to plonk in the backline ?
and if thatā€™s all heā€™s going to provide, you might as well play one of the developing players down there and see if they can hold their own.

2 Likes

Yep.Sydney have most of their backline out but still donā€™t put him down there

1 Like

Wouldā€™ve made a handy AFL footballer if heā€™d been delisted after a couple of years, gone back to local footy and jumped on the (good) gear for a bit then made a comeback through the SANFL.

Named at FB this week; BOG coming up

1 Like

BOG for the FF he is on.