Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

So, giving the chop to Belly, Chappy, Gwilt, Winders and maybe Fletch will loosen up about $2 million in salary cap.

Gosh! we may even be able to bid for Dangerfield!

if we give chappy another contractā€¦ LOL.

FFS, why do people even think we're close to the cap? Ryder left unexpectedly and guys like Cooney and Giles wouldn't be on big amounts

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/paul-chapmans-future-at-essendon-in-doubt-as-contract-talks-break-down/story-fnp04d70-1227116933112

Paul Chapmanā€™s future at Essendon in doubt as contract talks break down

ā€¦

Contract negotiations with Chapman have stalled and one of the sticking points is believed to be the money Essendon had to find to satisfy Cooney ā€” significantly more than the $250,000-$300,000 Chapman earned this year.

This was probably about relative amount, but the fact that Chappy was probably the last to sign last year, this may be an indication we were close to the edge with our salary cap. Remember Giles would have cost more than our normal first year acquisition with Ryder adding a (sort of) second first rounder in Langford, and we also ended up our draft picks used for Giles and Cooney, this would have cost a lot more than a normal draft and Cooney wouldnā€™t have been cheap as a 29 YO Brownlow Medalist who insisted his knee problems were behind him.

EFC not only breaches injection rules (retrospectively to be enforced) but now breaches salary cap! Is there anything that EFC hasnā€™t breached? Sorry Mr Demetriou, was there a good reason you left in a hurry???

FFS, why do people even think we're close to the cap? Ryder left unexpectedly and guys like Cooney and Giles wouldn't be on big amounts
Sorry. I just dont know. But I will factor in your opinion. The club would obviously be ultra careful not to make errors around cap matters and would probably want a bit of a margin for error.

FFS, why do people even think weā€™re close to the cap? Ryder left unexpectedly and guys like Cooney and Giles wouldnā€™t
be on big amounts

So, if rather than using the mid season rookie elevation, they put both TBell and Trav on the LTI list, 2 elevations can be done without cap impact !!!

If they use the mid season rookie elevation, they have to prove the payments will fit under the cap !

Canā€™t see any reason why heā€™d be getting paid more than the rookie base wage.

Peeto and HAP, forgive me, you imply that only match payments effect the cap. I would assume ( and might be wrong) that as soon as a CATB rookie is elevated, both his match payments and his pro-rata base salary would have to be fitted in under the cap for the year. I would presume ( again may be wrong) that the pro rata base salary would be more than the match payment. So the result is perhaps a little more complicated, and maybe closer to the cap than you indicate ? Remember, McKernans base salary and match payments will no doubt rise and he is 100% certain to be elevated.

??

(b) In calculation of the Total Player Payments for each AFL Club, the following
payments will not be taken into account:
ā€¦
(iv) the Football Payments made to a Rookie temporarily promoted to the Primary List of an AFL Club to replace a Player transferred to the Long Term Injury List;
ā€¦
(x) 50% of Football Payments to Rookie Players nominated under clause 18(h);

(18(h) is the midseason rookie elevation)

10.17 Nominated Rookies ā€“ Mid Season

ā€¦

(ii) This right of a Club to nominate a Rookie Player under this Rule is
subject to the Club demonstrating to the satisfaction of the
Investigations Manager that it can accommodate within its Total Player
Payments Football Payments which must be paid to the Rookie Player
as prescribed in Rule 10.17(b)
(b) Payments and Total Player Payments
(i) A Rookie Player nominated by a Club under this Rule 10.17 must be
paid pro-rata no less than the amounts payable to a 1st year, third
round draft choice selection for the period of time they are nominated.
(ii) Any amount paid to a Rookie Player nominated under this Rule in
excess of the base payment payable to a 1st year, third round draft
choice selection shall be included in the Clubā€™s Total Player Payments.

Given McKernan isnā€™t a first year player, I wonder how much they would have to pay him.

Thanks guys. It brings a lot of clarity around this situation.

Peeto and HAP, forgive me, you imply that only match payments effect the cap. I would assume ( and might be wrong) that as soon as a CATB rookie is elevated, both his match payments and his pro-rata base salary would have to be fitted in under the cap for the year. I would presume ( again may be wrong) that the pro rata base salary would be more than the match payment. So the result is perhaps a little more complicated, and maybe closer to the cap than you indicate ? Remember, McKernans base salary and match payments will no doubt rise and he is 100% certain to be elevated.

??

(b) In calculation of the Total Player Payments for each AFL Club, the following
ā€¦
(iv) the Football Payments made to a Rookie temporarily promoted to the Primary List of an AFL Club to replace a Player transferred to the Long Term Injury List;
ā€¦

10.17 Nominated Rookies ā€“ Mid Season

ā€¦

(ii) This right of a Club to nominate a Rookie Player under this Rule is
subject to the Club demonstrating to the satisfaction of the
Investigations Manager that it can accommodate within its Total Player
Payments Football Payments which must be paid to the Rookie Player
as prescribed in Rule 10.17(b)
(b) Payments and Total Player Payments
(i) A Rookie Player nominated by a Club under this Rule 10.17 must be
paid pro-rata no less than the amounts payable to a 1st year, third
round draft choice selection for the period of time they are nominated.
(ii) Any amount paid to a Rookie Player nominated under this Rule in
excess of the base payment payable to a 1st year, third round draft
choice selection shall be included in the Clubā€™s Total Player Payments.

Given McKernan isnā€™t a first year player, I wonder how much they would have to pay him.

afl makes the rules as it goes, and anything to shoot us in the foot.

??

ā€¦
ā€¦

Peeto and HAP, forgive me, you imply that only match payments effect the cap. I would assume ( and might be wrong) that as soon as a CATB rookie is elevated, both his match payments and his pro-rata base salary would have to be fitted in under the cap for the year. I would presume ( again may be wrong) that the pro rata base salary would be more than the match payment.
So the result is perhaps a little more complicated, and maybe closer to the cap than you indicate ? Remember, McKernans base salary and match payments will no doubt rise and he is 100% certain to be elevated.

??

Put TBC on the LTI so as to elevate McKenna > Luck of the Irish.

Smack + Conor ready to rumble against the unsociables.

I know you are sort of joking, but:

We desperately need players who can kick goals. These guys both can. But its probably just a little early for Conor. Make no mistake. Conor is being watched and fast tracked. He is incredibly agile and is a fast sprinter, with very good acceleration. But atm his salary as a cat. B rookie is outside the cap. There would have to be cap space available to elevate him, so they probably would not elevate him until next year. imo.

I donā€™t know if this is even true, but match payments for rookies would be less than $2,000, closer to $1,000. There is no way even if McKenna played every game from here to the end of the year it would bring us even close to going over the cap.

Source was Herald sun, October 3 2014. But you are right mate, dont believe what you read in the newspapers.

ā€¦ Dodoro said McKenna, 18, would develop into a midfielder, praising his speed, endurance and resilience.

Irish superstar Tadhg Kennelly said McKenna recently came within a whisker of breaking Stephen Hillā€™s agility record, while the Gaelic prodigy recorded a 2.93sec 20m sprint at this weekā€™s draft combine at Etihad Stadium.

McKenna also finished eighth in the repeated sprints, underlining his acceleration.

Dodoro said McKennaā€™s debut ā€” he booted 4.3 against the Australian Under-18s in March ā€” showed he had ā€œa lot of tickerā€.

Kennelly praised the 182cm talentā€™s skills and McKenna was signed as a Category B rookie, meaning his salary will sit outside the cap unless he is upgraded and plays AFL games. ā€¦

Conor McKenna participates in the agility test during the AFL Draft Combine.

My point is still correct. Itā€™s not a salary cap concern.

If weā€™ve got it as tight as a 10-20k, weā€™ve got far, far bigger issues
I would imagine, between Zaha/Myers/Hocking/Bellcho/Colyer, weā€™re saving a fair bit on match payments.

We desperately need players who can kick goals. These guys both can. But its probably just a little early for Conor. Make no mistake. Conor is being watched and fast tracked. He is incredibly agile and is a fast sprinter, with very good acceleration. But atm his salary as a cat. B rookie is outside the cap. There would have to be cap space available to elevate him, so they probably would not elevate him until next year. imo.

I donā€™t know if this is even true, but match payments for rookies would be less than $2,000, closer to $1,000. There is no way even if McKenna played every game from here to the end of the year it would bring us even close to going over the cap.

Source was Herald sun, October 3 2014. But you are right mate, dont believe what you read in the newspapers.

ā€¦ Dodoro said McKenna, 18, would develop into a midfielder, praising his speed, endurance and resilience.

Irish superstar Tadhg Kennelly said McKenna recently came within a whisker of breaking Stephen Hillā€™s agility record, while the Gaelic prodigy recorded a 2.93sec 20m sprint at this weekā€™s draft combine at Etihad Stadium.

McKenna also finished eighth in the repeated sprints, underlining his acceleration.

Dodoro said McKennaā€™s debut ā€” he booted 4.3 against the Australian Under-18s in March ā€” showed he had ā€œa lot of tickerā€.

Kennelly praised the 182cm talentā€™s skills and McKenna was signed as a Category B rookie, meaning his salary will sit outside the cap unless he is upgraded and plays AFL games. ā€¦

My point is still correct. Itā€™s not a salary cap concern.

that being said watch this place explode if and or when Mckernan doesnā€™t play great as a sole permanent ruckman, which iā€™m pretty sure he isnā€™t and wonā€™t be any good at, compared to a split between forward and relief ruckman for short periods.

I keep hearing this, but seriously, the bar has been set so friggin low this year.

Iā€™d still expect Carlisle to ruck a decent bit with McKernan. It could well be the mix weā€™ve been looking for.

I agree . It was noted that McKernans first half against Norf was really good, but he spent too many tickets and faded.
If he is going to play with that intensity, he will need a chop out.

Good way to distract the opposition anyways........

that being said watch this place explode if and or when Mckernan doesnā€™t play great as a sole permanent ruckman, which iā€™m pretty sure he isnā€™t and wonā€™t be any good at, compared to a split between forward and relief ruckman for short periods.

I keep hearing this, but seriously, the bar has been set so friggin low this year.

Iā€™d still expect Carlisle to ruck a decent bit with McKernan. It could well be the mix weā€™ve been looking for.

I agree . It was noted that McKernans first half against Norf was really good, but he spent too many tickets and faded.
If he is going to play with that intensity, he will need a chop out.

Cue (another) Blitz meltdown!

Smack will fix everything ...

That is so 80ā€™s. Ice man, ice.