Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

Smack is an enigma.

That’s racist.

Wot?

Enigma: something that is mysterious or puzzling.

I could be wrong but I believe “Enigma” is an old old wooden ship used during the civil war era.

When did we have a civil war?
Who won?

does this count?

Smack doesn’t have the endurance to play a midfield role…he is a big piece of meat and it is hard hauling that around.

Smack doesn't have the endurance to play a midfield role...he is a big piece of meat and it is hard hauling that around.

■■■■■■ oath it is!

The Enigma machines were a series of electro-mechanical rotor cipher machines developed and used in the early- to mid-twentieth century to protect commercial, diplomatic and military communication.
I’ve been to Bletchley.

But I’ve never been to me.

The Enigma machines were a series of electro-mechanical rotor cipher machines developed and used in the early- to mid-twentieth century to protect commercial, diplomatic and military communication.
I’ve been to Bletchley.

But I’ve never been to me.

Ce sera sera
Whatever will be will be

I’ve been to Bletchley.
But I've never been to me.
Ce sera sera Whatever will be will be
No. B can't be B. No letter can be matched to itself.

That was a significant mechanical weakness of the Enigma machine, though in the end the humans using the machines were the main weakness.

I’ve been to Bletchley.

That was a significant mechanical weakness of the Enigma machine, though in the end the humans using the machines were the main weakness.

You’re a colossus, DJR. I too was in Bletchley last week in September, the day after going to Bekonscot Model Park, which I’m sure would appeal to you, being a major league nerd and all.

And it’s “que sera sera”.

Still mystified about this civil war in the 80s. Must have missed that one. The angriest I remember people getting was 11/11/75.

You’re the bombe, Noonan.

You're the bombe, Noonan.

crisp. you sure are turing it up

Shaun was in attendance at the Violent Soho\The Bronx\Luca Brasi\Tired Lion gig at Festival hall on cup eve.
He had a wrist brace on a for what its worth he stayed well out of the mosh pit.

You're the bombe, Noonan.
Sounds like you're just playing the imitation game.

Lol @ McKernan the midfielder

I’ve been to Bletchley.

You’re a colossus, DJR. I too was in Bletchley last week in September, the day after going to Bekonscot Model Park, which I’m sure would appeal to you, being a major league nerd and all.

Still mystified about this civil war in the 80s. Must have missed that one. The angriest I remember people getting was 11/11/75.

Bletchley. ■■■. I used to live and work in Bletchley in the 1970s. It was a depressing time in England, with Ted Heath playing his organ, while the economy collapsed around him, miners strikes, the oil crisis, shortages in the shops, shopping by candlelight. England pre-Thatcher, pre-north sea oil was miserable. Not the best place to be. But Bletchley has now been subsumed into the Milton Keynes regional city. We lived on a farm , which is now preserved as open space just near the old village of Milton Keynes. I was the only Aussie in the village and a bit of a novelty for them. I visit from time to time on street view. The pretty little village is virtually unrecognisable. But I have fond memories of 1970s England just the same.

I’ve been to Bletchley.

Bletchley. ■■■. I used to live and work in Bletchley in the 1970s. It was a depressing time in England, with Ted Heath playing his organ, while the economy collapsed around him, miners strikes, the oil crisis, shortages in the shops, shopping by candlelight. England pre-Thatcher, pre-north sea oil was miserable. Not the best place to be. But Bletchley has now been subsumed into the Milton Keynes regional city. We lived on a farm , which is now preserved as open space just near the old village of Milton Keynes. I was the only Aussie in the village and a bit of a novelty for them. I visit from time to time on street view. The pretty little village is virtually unrecognisable. But I have fond memories of 1970s England just the same.

I don’t think the great majority of people were aware of the part Bletchley Park played in the war, and in the history of computing, until the early 90s.

It was forbidden to even talk about what you did there until someone wrote a book in about 1978, and people started talking. I’m not sure why the ban wasn’t lifted in the 60s. I know Britain were still keeping tabs on other countries using Enigma and Lorenz way after the war, and didn’t want them to know it was broken, but most people who worked at Bletchley Park would have no idea about the nitty-gritty of the decryption techniques.

I bet the 60s, even though swinging in London, were even more depressing. I remember some of those bitterly depressing movies like A Room at the Top and A Kind of Loving portrayed the north in a very dour light. Tom Courtenay starred in a few of them…Alan Bates, Oliver Reed etc. Alan Sillitoe wrote some cheery stuff.

As David Frost once said - the British pound note now says “I promised to OWE the bearer”, not pay. Tons of room for brilliant satirical programs to pop up.

I bet the 60s, even though swinging in London, were even more depressing. I remember some of those bitterly depressing movies like A Room at the Top and A Kind of Loving portrayed the north in a very dour light. Tom Courtenay starred in a few of them....Alan Bates, Oliver Reed etc. Alan Sillitoe wrote some cheery stuff.

I did like Tom Courtenay in The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner and Julie Christie made up for some of the gloomy films you refer to.

He is known quantity, and that hasn't been much this season. l would rather take a punt on a new ruck, than risk a repeat of the same.

As others have stated, found it hard to get a game when the team was decimated and even then, wasn’t very convincing when he had the chance.You would like to think that team management know something that we don’t.

I would hazard a guess that our pick 19 will be the best ruck option available.

I think given he was taken out of the VFL finals and put in for surgery suggests 2 things.

1. He will be on the list next year.
  2. He was severely hampered by injury this year.

Keep in mind he came top 10 in the B+F in the 1’s with a full squad in 2015. He must have had something going on with his body in 2016 that restricted him to so few games. Coaching staff must believe he is capable of getting back to 2015 form and a 1 year deal is probably worth the risk.

Plus when he played in the first few rounds it was as a permanent forward, which does not seem to be a role he’s suited to. His best form has been in the ruck, where he’s been pretty poor at the actual ruck contests (given away a lot of frees), but excellent in his attack on the ball and general ability to get it going our way, as well as taking marks around the ground.

I see him as a big ruck-rover, not a knock ruckman, although he can pinch-hit as one. I’m glad it seems he’s going to be retained. If he’s fit and used properly, he can be a real asset.

But you'd never play him as a ruck rover. How is he going to be more of an assett in the middle than Watson, Heppell, Myers, Hocking, Howlett, Goddard, Stanton, Kelly or even most of the young developing inside mids.
There are going to be a lot of players vying for on-ball positions. Those who are fittest and in the best form will be selected. There are 5-7 on ball positions,depending on how the coach wants to play it. McKernan at his best is worth one of them.
More like 9-10 spots in midfield. But he's behind Watson, Stanton, Heppell, Zerrett, Goddard, Myers, Colyer, Hocking, Zaharakis, Kelly, Colyer and probably Parish, Bird, Howlett and Langford. So he's unlikely to be playing midfield anytime soon.

Depends what sort of form he’s in and they’re in. Which we won’t know till next year.

I bet the 60s, even though swinging in London, were even more depressing. I remember some of those bitterly depressing movies like A Room at the Top and A Kind of Loving portrayed the north in a very dour light. Tom Courtenay starred in a few of them....Alan Bates, Oliver Reed etc. Alan Sillitoe wrote some cheery stuff.

I did like Tom Courtenay in The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner and Julie Christie made up for some of the gloomy films you refer to.

Yes…Darling

He has to be retained, we only have two Rucks on the list right now.

And Tom and Julie paired off in "Billy Liar" where Julie is achingly gorgeous and irresistible, possibly the most magnetically alluring performance by an actress in cinematic history.

Julie was also achingly gorgeous in every film she appeared in in the 60s.

Was a bit thin in that Venetian thriller, Don’t Look Now