Ex-#44 Shaun McKernan

Any news on McKernan given Hams chopped and Long extended

Wow. Everything that has been happening eg Stewart and Xavier Richards, has pointed this way.

I thought that he might struggle, suspect a State League ruckman may be in our sights, one of those 200 cm + 95 kg, 21 yo that just need a year or two of development.

SMACK playing angry was a sight to behold, just not quite big enough to be backup ruck which is what we need.

RIP Smack

The nearly man

Hope he stays on with the VFL team

Hope not. Thought he looked impressive when I saw him on Monday. Fit & injury free he could provide great back up - think he still has plenty to offer. Also wonder how fair that is when he hasnā€™t been ā€˜out thereā€™ during this DFA period.

I bet the 60s, even though swinging in London, were even more depressing. I remember some of those bitterly depressing movies like A Room at the Top and A Kind of Loving portrayed the north in a very dour light. Tom Courtenay starred in a few of them....Alan Bates, Oliver Reed etc. Alan Sillitoe wrote some cheery stuff.

I did like Tom Courtenay in The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner and Julie Christie made up for some of the gloomy films you refer to.

Jackie has this thing about gorgeous blondes. Same here.

Sacrifices have to be made to get somebody the calibre of Xavier Richards onto our list, and if that means heading into the year with only two injury-prone ruckman on the list, thatā€™s a risk weā€™ll have to take.

RIP Smack

The nearly man

Hope he stays on with the VFL team

Yep spot on. Such a high ceiling of potential. Got some pretty special skills and athleticism for a man 196cm. His agility would have to be right up there with the best for a player his height, even better than Buddy IMO. Just a shame he doesnā€™t have the footy smarts as a forward, could be a real weapon. Thought he might hold his spot but looks like the coaches and list managers may have made the brave call due to his height limitations and his inability to play a key forward role.

I think we might be farewelling Shaun today.

Delist him between the DFA periods ! It doesnt leave him much of a window for a lifeline, since I would think most clubs would have already evaluated their DFA options and virtually closed the book on recruitment of DFAs in the lead up to the draft.
Question is, will he will be headed back to the rookie list as insurance or do they plan to rookie a state league ruckman.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him re-rookied.

Hope so. We need that Ruck/Forward insurance.

Sacrifices have to be made to get somebody the calibre of Xavier Richards onto our list, and if that means heading into the year with only two injury-prone ruckman on the list, that's a risk we'll have to take.

Apropos of the risk, there is a study of large numbers of footballers ( round ball) that show that older players have greater incidence and recurrence of achilles injury and the injury rate is higher in pre season. ( Leuie had interupted pre-seasons both in 2016 and 2012 because of achilles tendinopathy? )
Typical out might be 6-8 weeks, but according to the study there is a higher rate of recurrence if you rush a player back so there is no doubt the club would be very conservative in terms of return to training and return to play. Its roll of the dice stuff. As we know, even a partial rupture is a ā€œseasonā€ injury. Its the clubs call on Smack. They know the risks. Presumably they have a risk mitigation strategy of some sort.

Recurrence of Achilles tendon injuries in elite male football players is more common after early return to play: an 11-year follow-up of the UEFA Champions League injury study by Mariann Gajhede-Knudsen, Jan Ekstrand, Henrik Magnusson, Nicola Maffulli February 2013

Not like we starting season now with no opportunity to rectify. Assuming take 2 DFAā€™s, got 4 ND and 3 rookie selections to address.

Weā€™ll take another ruck at 41 IMO and with Smack potentially rookied (although Iā€™d rather another player who can actually compete against the bigger rucks if called upon) that will give us the cover needed.

At the start of this year, most of us had him at CHF in best 22. Then at the start of the year he was out of sorts and I think Grimley was in. Tore it up in VFL, then hurt his (ankle?). Seems he never really recovered.

Apart from being 3 years younger, I canā€™t see how XavR will be any better; not tall enough to ruck, (1 cm shorter than smack).

Can you imagine if we delist, then get to round 14 and have to play Ambrose & Joe in the ruck?

Sacrifices have to be made to get somebody the calibre of Xavier Richards onto our list, and if that means heading into the year with only two injury-prone ruckman on the list, that's a risk we'll have to take.

As apposed to taking 2 injury prone ruckman and a midget for a ruckman into next year.

I mean i like him and thought he xpuld be a good combo of forward and part time relief ruck, but a combo of not being given a good enough go and not being good enough means its kinda pointless keeping him just cos of the ā€œā– ā– ā–  wr will only have 2 ruckman on our list , oh noā€ argument.

Wc proved this year if your first and second rucks go down youā€™re ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  anyway.

What this also tells me is the club really didnā€™t rate Gach in terms of pure footballing

At the start of this year, most of us had him at CHF in best 22. Then at the start of the year he was out of sorts and I think Grimley was in. Tore it up in VFL, then hurt his (ankle?). Seems he never really recovered.

Apart from being 3 years younger, I canā€™t see how XavR will be any better; not tall enough to ruck, (1 cm shorter than smack).

Can you imagine if we delist, then get to round 14 and have to play Ambrose & Joe in the ruck?

Yes, yes I can imagine that. It would be a perfectly believable Essington scenario.

Yep, another waste of a rookie slot.

Sure we need ruck backup, but that isnā€™t the way to do it.

2015 was impressive. He did quite well and I thought he could be a versatile ruckman/forward moving forward.
Itā€™s shame 2016 did not work out the way he hoped but on a 1 year contract you need to ensure your performance stays at a high level. The early injury in the VFL (at Punt Rd???) didnā€™t help him either.

Best of luck to him. I hope he gets another shot somewhere

Yep, another waste of a rookie slot.

Sure we need ruck backup, but that isnā€™t the way to do it.

How would you do it then?