Fake meat that's better at being meat than real meat!

Fake meat??

Isn’t that how those Ruski dudes got away with PED use?

The world changes - we used to just call them ‘■■■■■■’

If I want to eat fake meat, I'll just go to Maca's.

Anyone would think this was new the way they’re carrying on.

And I’m not going to ask who ‘macca’ is - each to their own, my friend - each to their own.

Hot beef injections?

But how will people talk and spend a fortune on non gm crops and organic foods?

But how will people talk and spend a fortune on non gm crops and organic foods?

Ah, well. You see, there will be GM, non-organic plant derived burgers and…

As the company puts it: “replacing one quarter-pound beef patty with an Impossible Burger saves as much water as a 10-minute shower, takes 18 driving miles of greenhouse gas emissions off the road, and frees up 75 square feet of farmland”.
WHERE ARE THEY GROWING THE PLANTS FOR THIS? IN OUTER FKN SPACE???

Not sure you u/stand what that means. It’s saying, the amount of area needed to grow the vegetation to create the Faux burger, . is 75 sq feet less land, than it would take to grow the same amount of actual steer.

1 Like
As the company puts it: “replacing one quarter-pound beef patty with an Impossible Burger saves as much water as a 10-minute shower, takes 18 driving miles of greenhouse gas emissions off the road, and frees up 75 square feet of farmland”.
WHERE ARE THEY GROWING THE PLANTS FOR THIS? IN OUTER FKN SPACE???

Growing plants for food takes up far less space than growing animals for food

Dunno how many cattle stations you’ve been too, but many of the ones I’ve seen ain’t known for their fertile soil.

Don’t know if you’ve seen the beef farms in Sth Gippsland, but if you haven’t you should.

More greenery than a Pot convention.

1 Like
Don't know if you've seen the beef farms in Sth Gippsland, but if you haven't you should.

You never visited my old place!

“As the company puts it: “replacing one quarter-pound beef patty with an Impossible Burger saves as much water as a 10-minute shower, takes 18 driving miles of greenhouse gas emissions off the road, and frees up 75 square feet of farmland”.”

Is that saying what I think it is? So if you made your hamburger for dinner with this instead of a store bought meat patty it saves a TEN MINUTE SHOWER’s worth of water? That’s remarkable if so.

Don't know if you've seen the beef farms in Sth Gippsland, but if you haven't you should.

It’s not just space for the cattle. Most beef is grain fed on feed lots. Even grass fed may only be actually fed grass for a short time. It’s not a regulated term.
Most of the farmland and water usage for cattle is to grow crops to feed the cattle.

10.6 lbs feed per pound of edible beef.
8 gallons of water per pound of edible beef.

That’s not a very economical use of resources.

3 Likes

It’s very likely true Peeto. Farming beef is one of, if not the most inefficient use of resource per kilo of protein in existence, and by a fair margin.

Get’s even worse when it comes to grain fed IIRC.

And that’s before you get to greenhouse gas emissions, now estimated to be worse than cars.

Can I grow my own meat under the same LED’s ?

Can I grow my own meat under the same LED’s ?

You could try, … but I’m pretty sure they have pumps & pills for that …that do a better, quicker job.

You never visited my old place!

Come up here to the Northern Rivers. Home of beef cattle.

Our valleys are always green! :wink:

It’s not just space for the cattle. Most beef is grain fed on feed lots. Even grass fed may only be actually fed grass for a short time. It’s not a regulated term.
Most of the farmland and water usage for cattle is to grow crops to feed the cattle.

Not quite the same in Aus as it is in the US.

98% of Aussie beef is from grass fed cattle properties. Around 34% of all Aussie cattle are finished in feedlots and would spend only around 10-15% of their life in that feedlot, about 95 days. (Around 90% of all US cattle are finished in feedlots and the cattle spend around 20-25% of their life in that feedlot, 120-180 days.) At the moment in Aus it is shorter than the 95 days due to the high demands for beef and as a result cattle farmers are seeing high prices they haven’t had for a long time.

We do add grain to the diet in the feedlot and this can include wheat, barley or sorghum. Grain in the US feedlot diet is predominantly corn.

2 Likes

Not quite the same in Aus as it is in the US.

98% of Aussie beef is from grass fed cattle properties. Around 34% of all Aussie cattle are finished in feedlots and would spend only around 10-15% of their life in that feedlot, about 95 days. (Around 90% of all US cattle are finished in feedlots and the cattle spend around 20-25% of their life in that feedlot, 120-180 days.) At the moment in Aus it is shorter than the 95 days due to the high demands for beef and as a result cattle farmers are seeing high prices they haven’t had for a long time.

We do add grain to the diet in the feedlot and this can include wheat, barley or sorghum. Grain in the US feedlot diet is predominantly corn.

Thanks WP! Enlightening. The question then is, why do supermarkets and fast food joints proclaim the greatness of “grain fed beef”?

Pretty sure it’s to increase fat content and hence flavour profile.