Farewell to Essendon - Josh Mahoney

The guy in the job was suitably qualified, he just didn’t work out for reasons. So you go back to market to find another suitably qualified person. You talk to them and find out what drives them and work out whether they are a fit to the organisation.

What else would we expect?

1 Like

Yes but he was very successful with “the establishment of the Demons’ renowned AFLW program”

He can work wonders for our AFLW team… oh, wait.

1 Like

It’s not like a bloke that did a job for years and possibly got shunted for 1 or 2 things he wasn’t doing, or doing in the right way, or didn’t perform as well as he could because of a certain club internal structure getting in the way might either learn from those mistakes and get better, or perform better or even thrive in a different environment with a different structure &/or responsibilities more suited to his skill set or anything like that.

There’s a shitload of reasons we may have hired him because of, regardless of his being shifted from a similar role at a completely different club/organisation.

4 Likes

Looks like a perfect cultural fit.

1 Like

My bad,wrong call srry

1 Like

Who did he coach? Are we appointing him as a coach? I feel like most people criticising it have no idea what his actual role will be, nor what his roles have been. Yet they know who and who isnt qualified.

5 Likes

Given Essendon’s history of decision making, considering the problems that Richardson fixed while he was at the club, along with the rumours that Dan and X didn’t get along, is going to make many question this decision

1 Like

Every time I’ve heard from him I’ve been impressed, seems like a good administrator. But as others have said, Melbourne haven’t been overly impressive so time will tell whether this is a good appointment.

1 Like

from memory, even though Josh wasn’t on the senior list, he appeared in our senior team photo - 2002 ish? - someone wasn’t there and Josh sat in - I think they were meant to photoshop the other player’s head in later but it didn’t happen! could have been Moorcroft?

5 Likes

13 Likes

Horrible appointment. Totally missed the mark with what we need.

You understand when you hire an up and coming gun who doesn’t have the experience they can have potential and grow into a role but 7 seasons with Melbourne and being moved on this year is enough to know he’s not the right guy for us.

I’m sure he will help create a great culture and help an inexperienced coach with all his learning from finishing in the bottom 8 at Melbourne.

Mahoney always seemed like a nice guy.

But I’m not sure ‘nice’ is what we need

So Blitzers don’t know much more about the guy than what is in the articles, know even less about his duties, or experience, nor anything at all about the process used to pick him, but still feel more than comfortable bagging the guy out before he even arrives.

Cool.

Me? I will wait until he has had some time in the position, before l judge his suitability for the role.

BTW Josh, welcome to Essendon, just ignore BBlitz.

27 Likes

‪He has the toughest job in the AFL. Unfortunately for him, (and regardless of who got the job) the cards are stacked against him. This role is set up for failure purely based on the politics that surround the club.‬ He’s on borrowed time.
‪Good luck to him though.‬

Right on cue.

As always Captain, very wise advice.

Except of course, the tossers on here will continue to attack they know nothing about.

All I need to know is that he lived in Napier Street, barracked for the Bombers as a kid, played and captained the Bombers in VFL winning a B&F. And having being shafted by a prikk like Pert for a goon like A Richardson, gives him more points.

15 Likes

There you go, @Bacchusfox, I liked your post.

3 Likes

Let’s face it, no matter who we picked, the majority of you would be complaining and offering someone else that you know nothing completely about either.

10 Likes

IMO It’s more of a reflection of Xavier Campbell than Mahoney himself.

It’s also a reflection of some of you tools thinking you know more than guys appointed to make the decisions, based on sheer ■■■■■■■ ignorance and pre-determination.

22 Likes