Farewell to Essendon - Josh Mahoney

Melb then hire Choco as dev coach.

Looks like the club got the wrong Josh… we wanted Dunkley not Mahoney!!

1 Like

Strong words but not factual. The guys appointed to make the decision are the same guys that have historically made bad decision after bad decision. Those that don’t learn from history are bound to repeat it.

5 Likes

I agree, I hope he surprises and does well.

I was hoping for a strong character like Neil Balme who wouldn’t be afraid to tell people to pull their head in, or tell them where their focus should or shouldn’t be, and who could get a football department working optimally together as a team.

I don’t know Josh, and hope he can do the above in his way, and wish him well.

I do wonder however if EFC floated the prospect of Rob Auld, to help us settle for this choice, rather than revolt because we haven’t appointed an immediately exciting candidate.

I don’t care if this is true, as long as they chose him for good reasons and he can do a great job.

If they haven’t, I think X’s days are numbered.

The Dan Richardson thread has weeks of posts of people saying that they have no trust in Campbell and Wellman to get it right.

Good luck to Josh Mahoney… but he’s walking into a club that is f*cked and he is expected to fix all of it.

The guys who have made this decision are the same ones that thought it was a good idea:
To extend Worsfold’s contract
To then have an ex (failed) coach as a senior person overlook Worsfold in the coaches box
Who then sacked him 7 games in
Who then hired a FM from Richmond who had been demoted out of the role
Then they hire a new “senior coach” while Worsfold (the guy we gave an extension to) without even bothering to go through any sort of process to see if he was the best one
Who then were too gutless to admit the initial extension was wrong so decided to have a gap year and do a handover to the new coach without said process.

reckon they are batting 0 for about 20

8 Likes

That was a high 5th. Last team knocked out before the GF.

1 Like

So by your logic every decision must be criticised and bagged before it even bares fruit, because it must be wrong. I guess the recruitment of Caracella and Gia must be stupid and wrong also, after all, tey were made by the same people.

7 Likes

Given that Essington is the place people go in order to watch their career die, I guess you have to applaud him for actually wanting to come here…

Hard to decide if poaching from noted successful club Melbourne is just another dumb and desperate move, or if Josh could indeed has a real vision for the role.

Given its EFC doing the hiring I’ll lean the former until Josh and the club can prove otherwise.

jesus christ we are such a ■■■■ club

Might not be wrong, but the decision made in the past few years doesn’t really give us much confidence. Surely you can see that?

Add Neeld and Craig to that.

Not at all. But surely you understand the scepticism when our key football department appointments the last 6-7 years have been

Neil Craig
Rob Kerr
Mark Neeld
Linda Barlow
John Worsfold (extension)
Luke Ball
Dan Richardson

The one thing they have in common is they’ve all been hired (or extended) and fired by Xavier, but after Josh has led the Dees through a wildly mediocre 7 year stretch and eventually been demoted out of that role we should for sure just take it on face value that Xav knows what he’s doing this time.

5 Likes

Neeld was the ex senior they appointed on top of Worsfold that they sacked.

Forgot about Craig

Let’s not forget we have a couple of guys at the top that are well aware of everything Balme did at Richmond and therefore know exactly what they need from this guy.

Does anyone think they weren’t in on the decision?

1 Like

Who was Linda Barlow?

2 Likes

Didn’t Gia in his initial interview thank Dan Richardson for giving him the opportunity?

Was there anyone better that applied for the role? I doubt it.

EFC supporters just think everyone is lining up to work for the club. It couldn’t be further from the truth. This is a ruthless and political job.

The Football manager role has a life span of 18 months, before you’ll be used a scape goat for poor performances and Campbell has had enough of the FM trying to keep him away from meddling in football matters.

Nobody that is currently employed at another club as Football Operations Manager, would be stupid enough to apply for this job.

2 Likes

No finals win in 17 years. If Essendon hired me right now, I guarantee you I could replicate those results.

1 Like