Fashion police outlaw mullets-

Young men with mullet haircuts say they are neither bikies nor rednecks
	Date

June 28, 2014 - 12:00AM
  • 68 reading now
  •  
Damien Murphy

Man with mullet denied entry to pubs

Is the mullet fast becoming an endangered species? Some are fighting back against mullet discrimination, which is stopping people at the doors of Sydney's pubs.

It is the hairstyle worn by some of Australia's biggest sporting and music stars, from John Farnham to Shane Warne. But now young men who sport mullet haircuts claim they are being barred from some Sydney pubs and clubs because owners believe they share the same unruly DNA as bikies.

Eighteen-year-old apprentice bricklayer Liam Monte of Narellan said the discrimination amounts to a new sort of class war.

Since the Queensland government came down hard and banned Sunshine State bikies from looking like motorcycle outlaw gang members last year, Monte and his mates sometimes have not been able to enter bars and hotels of their choice.

1403857104411.jpg-620x349.jpg

Heir apparent: Liam Monte and his mate Russell say pubs and clubs ban them because they believe their mullet hairstyles make them bikies. Photo: Brendan Esposito

He said publicans and club owners are confusing a sense of style with a propensity towards crime.

''Yeah, we've got mullets and we're well dressed and clean, we haven't got gold chains dripping off ...  but clubs in the city and in the west say we can't come in because we look like bikies,'' he said.

''We're not bikies. We're just young blokes who wear a sensible haircut to work in the sun.''

1403857104605.jpg-300x0.jpg

John Farnham.

Bricklayer Mitchell Browne explained how a mullet offers protection against a redneck: ''The mullet is perfect for those of us who work outside. Short hair around the face can't get in the eyes, so it doesn't slow us down. Extra length at the back keeps the burning sun off the neck and protects against skin cancer.''

Megabytes have been wasted on who to credit/blame for the mullet: a Byzantine, Rod Stewart and Billy Ray Cyrus are among those mentioned in dispatches.

The hairstyle has worn many pejorative names including Achy-breaky-bad-mistakey, Canadian passport and Ape Drape, and now does duty among inner city types as shorthand for people who do not drink espresso macchiato.

Queensland's slap down of outlaw motorcycle gangs, the Vicious Lawless Association Disestablishment Bill, does not stipulate that a mullet haircut makes the bikie, but it does ban members from advertising club affiliation by wearing clothing bearing their club patch or colours in a public.

Most places nominated by Liam Monte and his mates as discriminatory do not wish to comment on closed door policies to mullet wearers.

Scruffy Murphy's manager Jason McKenna said would-be patrons at the central business district hotel are never discriminated against by their haircuts. ''As long as they look tidy and neat and are not intoxicated, they‘re in,'' he said.

However, the licensee of the Star Bar in George Street, who wished to remain anonymous, said haircut styles were taken into consideration when deciding who could enter her nightclub.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/young-men-with-mullet-haircuts-say-they-are-neither-bikies-nor-rednecks-20140627-zsode.html#ixzz35sXRqANT

Might I add, they look crap so fair enough.

Reminds me of when I went to Adelaide a few years back, a mate and myself pulled up at a pub just outside the city after driving over from Sydney and tried to stay there, the manager looked us up and down and said "flannelette shirts, exposed tattoos, you're not gonna make it, ■■■■ off". I wondered if we'd driven through a time warp.

Wait Mullets prevent skin cancer, have I been growing hair wrong my whole life?

And without offending anyone, who honestly is Bogan enough(at that age) to rock a mullet these days?

Business at the front, party at the back.

Business at the front, party at the back.

Interesting statement, let me just mullet over.

Beards will be next, hopefully

Russell is a spitting image for my housemate.

People are stupid. It's just hair, not a fricking gang neck tattoo.

Hair is meant to be long.

There's mullets and there's mullets.

Some are okay.

The thin lank stuff doesn't look good on anyone, but you're still a bit of a ■■■■ if you refuse service over a haircut.

Thread needs to hear from Chess

And without offending anyone, who honestly is Bogan enough(at that age) to rock a mullet these days?

F*** off!

1403857104411.jpg-620x349.jpg

I think I found his dad

That mullet doesn't hide your red neck pal!

Surely this wasn’t actually said?

“We’re not bikies. We’re just young blokes who wear a sensible haircut to work in the sun.”

Surely this wasn't actually said?
"We're not bikies. We're just young blokes who wear a sensible haircut to work in the sun."

was thinking similar. If you're going to try and convince people mullets aren't used by a certain type of people, that statement along with the it's a sensible haircut for work using the logic of it's long at the back to keep the sun off, but short at the front. Wouldn't logic dictate if you keep the back long to keep the sun off, shouldn't it be long all over ?

Surely this wasn't actually said?
"We're not bikies. We're just young blokes who wear a sensible haircut to work in the sun."

Would have been more along the lines of "■■■■ you c**t"

The only mullet that is acceptable is Gary Ablett Snr's comb over effort he sported in the 90s.

Quality.

I'm going to hazard a guess they are being refused entry for reasons other than their ■■■■■■ hairstyles.