Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

Apparently with the new MRP system coming in there will be a lot of staffers needing re-deployment. They‘d be perfect for this.

783889-daryl-somers-story-316x237-.jpg
They're going to have to write new numbers on the wheel calculations

Hey here’s something that works, let’s ■■■■ with it until no-one understands it and it doesn’t work, then we can continue tinkering with it giving jobs for various hangers on for years to come. Sounds like something the AFL would do

Anyone know what this is about? Can we genuinely pick up these lads? Or is it bollocks, I see a Virgin film festival ad in the picture. I’d donate an aggot to see Jake Long pull on the red and black.

https://twitter.com/essendonfc/status/500990495787843584

@EssendonFC: Misiti, Long and Wanganeen. Will they continue the great family tradition at our club? #EverythingsPossible http://t.co/hhD7SViUmJ

All of them are eligible father/son, Jake this year, little Wangas and miniMisiti have a few years before being eligible though!

Wanga and Wanga jnr seem to have gotten a lot more involved back at EFC in the last few years.  Obviously Tex Wanganeen is eligible f/s for Port as well, but it's nice to know we're not out of the picture, given that they're getting involved in this sort of thing.

All of them are eligible father/son, Jake this year, little Wangas and miniMisiti have a few years before being eligible though!
Wanga and Wanga jnr seem to have gotten a lot more involved back at EFC in the last few years. Obviously Tex Wanganeen is eligible f/s for Port as well, but it's nice to know we're not out of the picture, given that they're getting involved in this sort of thing.

Think Gav has already said that all his boys are mad Bomber's supporters and that he would love to see them pull on the sash.
Could be wrong though?

Seems like Bombers might announce they will father-son Jake.

Of course with our lack of picks it’s a little more complicated but maybe they are going to try and make a statement to other clubs to leave the boy alone.

Of course with our lack of picks it's a little more complicated but maybe they are going to try and make a statement to other clubs to leave the boy alone.

Unless he's been absolutely destroying it for Scotch (I can't get school footy results) I don't think many other clubs will be fighting us too hard for a shot at Jake. Hasn't really set the world on fire this year.

Of course with our lack of picks it's a little more complicated but maybe they are going to try and make a statement to other clubs to leave the boy alone.

Unless he's been absolutely destroying it for Scotch (I can't get school footy results) I don't think many other clubs will be fighting us too hard for a shot at Jake. Hasn't really set the world on fire this year.

Do you think that could be somewhat dileberate?

I doubt it.  He's generally done ok but has never really destroyed it at ANY level that I know of (again, I know nothing about how he's gone for school though), so it's not like he's had a sudden suspicious form slump that'd suggest we'd had a word in his ear.  Plus the guy is 176cm and something like 67kg.  That's borderline for VFL, much less AFL, and would turn a lot of sides off even if he HAD been playing consistent good TAC Cup footy.

I love the romantic notion of father son but I don't want us to blow our ONLY pick on a father/son dud.

disco fails to draft a spud father son... urgh.

I love the romantic notion of father son but I don't want us to blow our ONLY pick on a father/son dud.

We won't be spending our first pick on him as we won't have any rival bidders it seems, most likely a 3rd rounder at most.

I doubt it.  He's generally done ok but has never really destroyed it at ANY level that I know of (again, I know nothing about how he's gone for school though), so it's not like he's had a sudden suspicious form slump that'd suggest we'd had a word in his ear.  Plus the guy is 176cm and something like 67kg.  That's borderline for VFL, much less AFL, and would turn a lot of sides off even if he HAD been playing consistent good TAC Cup footy.

Can't see his size being an issue. What is he, 17? You'd expect him to grow a few cm yet, and certainly add a few kilos. I remember when his dad came to the club there was nothing to him, and he never really bulked up - but what a player. 

What happens if Essendon and GWS try to bid for the Danihers? does F/S get priority? or does the AFL love child's somehow get priority?

Isn't it like father-son where the kid can chose, like gibbs chose carlton?

Can't see his size being an issue. What is he, 17? You'd expect him to grow a few cm yet, and certainly add a few kilos. I remember when his dad came to the club there was nothing to him, and he never really bulked up - but what a player. 

18.  Draftable this year.  He might still grow, or he might not.  The height isn't so much of an issue as the weight is tbh - there's a few shorter guys like Prestia, Hrovat, Devon Smith doing very well for themselves in footy these days, but you need to be confident a bloke is going to put on muscle.  Michael Long did well despite being build like a toothpick, but footy has changed and it isn't the 90s any more.

What happens if Essendon and GWS try to bid for the Danihers? does F/S get priority? or does the AFL love child's somehow get priority?

The kid can choose whether they'd prefer to go to EFC or GWS, then that club can nominate them, and the bidding process proceeds as normal (assuming they don't change the rules again between now and the draft)

That would only apply to zone picks, not academy picks right? Surely a Swans academy player couldn't just say he'll go through the draft normally.

That would only apply to zone picks, not academy picks right? Surely a Swans academy player couldn't just say he'll go through the draft normally.

As far as I know, rules for f/s and academy kids are identical.
It does seem weird that academy kids would be allowed to opt out of being drafted through their academy side though. Not sure about that one.

Can't F/S kids still opt out of being drafted by that side?

Can't F/S kids still opt out of being drafted by that side?

Yes, they can. And as far as I know all the academy rules are the same as the f/s rules. I'm just surprised the AFL would have set the academy rules up that way, when the whole point is to channel nsw/qld talent to those states sides.