Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

Memo to Dodoro:

More Danihers please.

I love the romantic notion of father son but I don't want us to blow our ONLY pick on a father/son dud.

We won't be spending our first pick on him as we won't have any rival bidders it seems, most likely a 3rd rounder at most.

I don't believe we have the option of using our pick 19 for a F/S selection.  IIRC this was part of the sanctions.

I love the romantic notion of father son but I don't want us to blow our ONLY pick on a father/son dud.

We won't be spending our first pick on him as we won't have any rival bidders it seems, most likely a 3rd rounder at most.
I don't believe we have the option of using our pick 19 for a F/S selection. IIRC this was part of the sanctions.

You are correct.

HM, where are you getting Long @ 176cm from and how reliable is this usually?

I went to St Mary's last year and actually saw him roaming around there with footy in hand (in a Dons guernsey mind you). I am 177ish and he looked easily taller than me, maybe 180/182 but maybe that's my imagination playing tricks on me. 

I went to St Mary's last year and actually saw him roaming around there with footy in hand (in a Dons guernsey mind you). I am 177ish and he looked easily taller than me, maybe 180/182 but maybe that's my imagination playing tricks on me. 

TAC Cup record.  They weigh/measure all TAC players at the start of the season, they're generally pretty reliable.  And now I look it up, I actually see he was listed at 64kg, rather than 67.  Yikes.

Also re Jake - he wasn't invited to either the draft combine or the state screening.  Either he's not in any demand from other clubs, or else we've done a really really good job of hiding him...

TAC Cup record. They weigh/measure all TAC players at the start of the season, they're generally pretty reliable. And now I look it up, I actually see he was listed at 64kg, rather than 67. Yikes.
Also re Jake - he wasn't invited to either the draft combine or the state screening. Either he's not in any demand from other clubs, or else we've done a really really good job of hiding him...
More reliable than the AFL record one would hope! According to the AFL record Paddy Ambrose is 185cm and 77kgs!
  1. Brett Anderson‏@BrettAndersonIF1m

Another bag of four goals for Dogs father-son prospect Jayden Foster. Wouldn't be surprised if Essendon bid on him with late pick. #AFLDraft

1. Brett Anderson‏@BrettAndersonIF1m

Another bag of four goals for Dogs father-son prospect Jayden Foster. Wouldn't be surprised if Essendon bid on him with late pick. #AFLDraft

Oh boy....

Never heard of him.

Never heard of him.

foster or brett anderson?

So question for HM or anyone else in the know… if we do go for Long as a F/S is there any chance we’d get him as a rookie?

And how exactly do the F/S rules work to allow you to get one as a rookie?

If I recall correctly, if they get through the national draft (MUST DO THAT, can not sit out the national draft) then you can take a father-son with your last rookie pick and can not be trumped.

If I recall correctly, if they get through the national draft (MUST DO THAT, can not sit out the national draft) then you can take a father-son with your last rookie pick and can not be trumped.

Yeah, that's right. The annoying thing is that if you rookie nominate a F/S pick, other clubs don't have to tell you if they plan to take them in the national draft. It's theoretically a nice rule, but it just seems like a way to tell everyone what your plan is, for minimal benefit.

Thanks DJR. So essentially we'd have to not nominate him as. F/S before the ND and hope he falls through.
Pity you can't nominate him, then if no-one bids, say, ok we'll take him as a rookie instead.

Thanks DJR. So essentially we'd have to not nominate him as. F/S before the ND and hope he falls through.
Pity you can't nominate him, then if no-one bids, say, ok we'll take him as a rookie instead.
Actually, I think you have to nominate him as a rookie before the national draft, and then wait to see if he gets through. So every club knows if they skip him in the national draft he won't be available in the rookie draft. That said, Long sounds like this should be the option taken. Does not sound like ND material. But the club would know best.

I saw Sammy Dunell play for Sandy a few weeks back and he played really well, very creative. WouId we be a chance to draft with a late pick? were we interested in him before the Saints got him? If he gets cut by the Saints surely we don't have to nominate him as a f/s, I assume we can draft him as per normal?

Updated the top post.  Not much happening right now it seems.  i did track down what Matthew Neagle's been up to though...

Is Long junior being hidden or is he just not that flash?

Ask someone who's seen him play.  But as I said earlier, he's never been listed in the best for NT (a side who finished the TAC/champs winless and with a percentage of 27) and he wasn't invited to draft combine or state screening.  So if we're hiding him, we're doing a ■■■■■■ good job of it...

How is Tom Wallis going?

How is Tom Wallis going?

If you've read the top post, you know as much as i do.