Favourite Essendon player who was Indigenous

No. Papuan

1 Like

My bad. Wikipedia says Papua New Guinea and Wales.

2 Likes

Winis Imbi at full back.

4 Likes

Did Pears have any aboriginal ancestory.

I donā€™t remember it ever being mentioned, but he looked like he did.

OK, hereā€™s attempt 2.0: no Gwilt, only one Jetta, but both D. Kicketts:

FB: McGrath Cole Wanga
HB: Dempsey NatRat McDonald
C: J.Long Walla Murphy
HF: Lovett Davey Jetta
F: Kickett Kickett Che
R: Ryder Rioli M.Long

Didnā€™t realise Worsfold was indigenous

1 Like

Indigenous New Guinean?

But even if so, surely Mal Michael would pip him at full back.

Dean Rioliā€¦ the limousineā€¦and Loved watching Mal Michael glide along with his velvet thighsā€¦sigh

Robert Shaw has written of Long and McDonald. You can pick up the article on Shawā€™s twitter account.

1 Like

Longy.

Cupido.

Unless that joke is old already, in which case Rioli.
And for other teams Wirrpanda first, then for a brief shining moment Adrian McAdam, and Cable (although they are very early childhood memories).
Sticking with favourite rather than best, here.

1 Like

Remember when ā€¦

12 Likes

Rioli, kickett and lovett. Genuine match winners, skill and class unmatched. Long and wanganeen obviously our best aboriginals of this era.

Anyone know how good McDonald was?

Thank ā– ā– ā– ā– . I thought I was really racist and thought Gwilt wasnā€™t aboriginal.

For us, Wanganeen, Long and Rioli, however have loved all our Indigenous players.

My favourite Indigenous player outside of Essendon, Andrew McLeod, classy, silky, great vision and came across as a really nice guy.

2 Likes

The coconut

Andrew Lovett was my favourite

I loved Longy, Kickett and Wanganeen growing up, Rioli was an absolute star when he got on the paddock, Paddy broke my heart, Lovett Murray was a warrior, Alwyn was a livewire.

But on the rare occasions that Lovett turned up, he was ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  extraordinary.

Iā€™m surprised nobody has said that they love ā– ā– ā– ā– .

Really good article. Thanks for pointing it out. To be a Crichton winner in 1951, with those legends around him - he must have been something very special.

Wanganeen

Longyā€™s 93 finals series was near perfection but for most of that year I absolutely loved watching Kickett play. He was strong in the air, could kick them from anywhere & was tough as nails. His ā€œair splitterā€ against the Eagles in round 16 was IMHO a massive turning point for that group & the belief we gained from that win carried us to the 93 flag. His game in round 20 against the Dogs was simply breathtaking. I still have no idea what happened after that but having kicked 8 to then going 3 games with no goals & hardly touching the ball was a huge fall from glory. I was devastated when we dropped him for the GF as I thought he was just the kind of X-factor that could be the difference. In hindsight it was the right call as his form was terrible & our biggest possible weakness was another tall (Wallis) but at the time it seemed harsh. I donā€™t blame him at all for leaving after that but again I was sad to see him leave. Hope the wounds have really been healed & he feels welcomed back to the club.

1 Like