Favourite Instrumental Track (Not Including Classical Music)

Ry Cooder - Available Space

Satan’s March by Dog Fashion Disco.

Although does the Star Was soundtrack count as classical?

Actually, after hearing that, I think Tommy Emmanuel’s The Journey is my favourite.

Quoted Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3djmDFMRQQ

Was going to be my first response…

Also, Metallica - Orion. Farking awesome.

I don’t know about ‘best’ or ‘favourite,’ and most that I would have mentioned already have been…

But there was a track called Herbie on Spiderbait’s Run EP from way back, which would always get stuck in my head. I can’t find it anywhere at the moment, but the horn section was friggin awesome. I think it was a live track too.

Woodpecker from Mars - FNM
Orion - Metallica
Dog Song - Scary Mother

Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence

Quoted Post

Actually, after hearing that, I think Tommy Emmanuel's The Journey is my favourite.

God I got sick of Tommy after a while. Actually bought 4 tix to a concert of his as a thankyou for a mate who loves him & went with our GF’s … I lasted about 40 mins, had to go for a smoke & a beer. Talented muso & a guitar maestro, but fk it gets monotonous.

I am wired like that though, more a fan of lyrics & drums than lead breaks & licks…

Just wondering if Rockys theme, “Gonna Fly Now”,qualifies as an instrumental. The vocals are minimal, & more choral than lyrical.

Two of the most haunting tracks I’ve ever heard.

23 Skidoo:

David Byrne & Brian Eno: http://youtu.be/erRuO59rEVc

Quoted Post

Ry Cooder - Available Space

Nearly all of his soundtracks qualify.
Same goes for Clapton on Lethal Weapon 1/2/3 with Michael Kamen and David Sanborn.
IMHO most of his best music over the last 30 years has been on his soundtracks rather than his studio stuff, which has lacked substance for about the same amount of time. A few other of his soundtracks also stand out, the original TV version Edge of Darkness was so good the BBC released it, then there are also the magnificent Homeboy and Rush soundtracks as well.

The first track ‘Slunky’ on his debut solo album also qualifies, but l prefer his version of the Cornell Dupree track, Teasin, only available on his History album to it. There is the also outstanding cover of Freddie King’s Steppin’ Out, which he did on Live Cream Volume 2, but still incorrectly entitled Hideaway, to this day.

Fleetwood Mac’s Albatross is a timeless classic, and Earl Grey from their Kiln House is also very good.

Most of Jeff Beck’s career once he parted company from Bogart and Appice from Vanilla Fudge has been based on instrumental. My faves of his are Space For The Papa on Who Else, and The Pump from the Risky Business soundtrack and his live version of Big Block (a tribute to the engine in one of his many hot rods) live at Crossroads 2007.

Traffic - do a nifty little number called Glad, the first track on their John Barleycorn Must die album, it is outstanding and one of the most appropriately named pieces of music of all time.

More later.

The last track on Little Feat’s their album, Lafayette Railroad.
Last track side one, One Of These Nights, the Eagles 4th album, Journey of The Sorcerer.
Lots of Al Di Meola stuff, including the concept album Go, with Stormy Yamashta and Steve Winwood.

Other outstanding instrumental soundtracks.

1. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence – Ryuchi Sakamoto. (This one is so good, it can stand by itself as a piece of music.)

2. Edge of Darkness / Lethal Weapon / Homeboy / Rush – Eric Clapton. (already mentioned)

3. Runaway Train – Trevor Jones. (One of my all time fave movies and the music has affair bit to do with that. Listen to it the power and majesty that announces the first time we see the train on screen.)

4. The Last Temptation of Christ – Peter Gabriel et al. (highly evocative)

5. Star Trek (The Movie ) – Jerry Goldsmith. (From the first movie, emotive, powerful, dynamic)

6. Wild Things / The Last Emperor – Ryuichi Sakamoto & David Byrne. (Sakamoto proves the Mr. Lawrence ST was no fluke)

7. The Big Blue – Eric Serra. (Wonderful and wistful)

8. Gorky Park – James Horner. (Classic with a twist)

9. Razorback – Ivor Davies. (The only good thing about this horrendous piece of trash, not even Ivor Davies at his best could save this turkey)

10. Bladerunner – Vangelis / Performance - Jack Nietzche. (a couple more to round off the post and the evening)

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Actually, after hearing that, I think Tommy Emmanuel's The Journey is my favourite.

God I got sick of Tommy after a while. Actually bought 4 tix to a concert of his as a thankyou for a mate who loves him & went with our GF’s … I lasted about 40 mins, had to go for a smoke & a beer. Talented muso & a guitar maestro, but fk it gets monotonous.

I am wired like that though, more a fan of lyrics & drums than lead breaks & licks…

I can understand that.
I’m really only a fan of The Journey, Initiation and I guess Countrywide.
Which is one and a half more than Satch songs I like (and I saw him twice).

I think I have a copy of the CD single of The Journey. I would be willing to part with it…

Already have it, but thanks.
Really reminds me of 2000.
Hird and Long.
If you listen to it in that context you might like it more betterer.

Yeah, I doubt it.

Quoted Post

The last track on Little Feat's their album, Lafayette Railroad. Last track side one, One Of These Nights, the Eagles 4th album, Journey of The Sorcerer. Lots of Al Di Meola stuff, including the concept album Go, with Stormy Yamashta and Steve Winwood.

Other outstanding instrumental soundtracks.

1. Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence – Ryuchi Sakamoto. (This one is so good, it can stand by itself as a piece of music.)

2. Edge of Darkness / Lethal Weapon / Homeboy / Rush – Eric Clapton. (already mentioned)

3. Runaway Train – Trevor Jones. (One of my all time fave movies and the music has affair bit to do with that. Listen to it the power and majesty that announces the first time we see the train on screen.)

4. The Last Temptation of Christ – Peter Gabriel et al. (highly evocative)

5. Star Trek (The Movie ) – Jerry Goldsmith. (From the first movie, emotive, powerful, dynamic)

6. Wild Things / The Last Emperor – Ryuichi Sakamoto & David Byrne. (Sakamoto proves the Mr. Lawrence ST was no fluke)

7. The Big Blue – Eric Serra. (Wonderful and wistful)

8. Gorky Park – James Horner. (Classic with a twist)

9. Razorback – Ivor Davies. (The only good thing about this horrendous piece of trash, not even Ivor Davies at his best could save this turkey)

10. Bladerunner – Vangelis / Performance - Jack Nietzche. (a couple more to round off the post and the evening)

I remember that song from the original TV series of Hitchhiker's Guide.

I thought you’d be a cert to mention Hocus Pocus by Focus - pretty mean guitar solos in there

Darude - Sandstorm

“Sunspots” by Bob Mould