Favourite Obscure Albums

A companion of sorts to @swoodley’s “Favourite Debut Albums” thread. A chance for @Paul_Peos to wax lyrical about his Butterfingers collection, for @mrjez to talk about a flexipop album given away with the first 117 copies of an import-only music magazine from 1978, for others to bang on about some act they first saw play a free gig in 1998 at an illegal skate park etc etc.
I’ll kick off…

KGilbert
A proggy concept album from the late US singer whose claim to fame was a) dying in very similar circumstances to Michael Hutchence and b) being Sheryl Crow’s boyfriend and band leader before being jettisoned just as she got her big breakthrough.

Parades
Percussive art-pop/rock from defunct Aussie act.

PFarnan
Lo-fi debut solo album from Boom Crash Opera/Serious Young Insects guitarist.

Klaatu
Featuring the original version of Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft, this largely-anonymous trio was at one point thought to be The Beatles in disguise.

dEUS
Largely unknown outside Belgium, fantastic art-rock not a million miles from Elbow.

TDaisy
Lazily lumped in with grunge off the back of I Got A Girl but they’re closer to The Flaming Lips poppier moments.

Kickback
Straight-ahead US indie-rock produced by the drummer of Spoon.

5 Likes

One to start with on my work break, Solid Space - Space Museum

From Wiki:
Space Museum is the sole studio album by British minimal wave band Solid Space. It was released in 1982 by In Phaze Records through cassette, eventually becoming a rarity. The album’s sound has been described as “cold, disconnected, minimal synth-pop full of eerie moods and bizarre melodies.” It features lyrics inspired by science fiction novels and television programs, in particular the popular shows Doctor Who and Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons , and often deal with traveling through the galaxy, “delivered in a robotic vocals.”

My fave songs: Tenth Planet, Darkness In My Soul

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m talking about… and I will now go off and investigate it…

One more that I forgot about earlier…
ACity

A US band making an album that sounded very much like The Bends-era Radiohead when I heard it over the speakers of a JB HiFi store in Sydney. Duly purchased, and they were never heard from again… it’s great!

1 Like

Orang-Utan Self Titled 1971

From Discogs:

An often considered Psychedelic, Acid Rock, Heavy Rock, Hard Rock group from London, England, whose only album was originally released in the U.S. exclusively.
“Orang Utan featured musicians from several other notable dissolving bands, that had been playing in north London in the late 60s. Singer Terry “Nobby” Clarke was co-founder of the band Jason Crest. They recorded their album at a 16 track studio facility in London. The band’s only album was released on the U.S. Bell Records label in 1970. Several of the songs are nothing short of brilliant and serve to show what incredible talent these young 19-20 year old musicians possessed. Most all of the music was written and composed by Jeff Seopardie who was the drummer, with the majority of the guitar & bass riffs being developed and played by Mick Clarke & Paul Roberts respectively.

5 Likes

At last a thread for my music tastes!

These albums were released nearly 50 years ago, but are as witty as ever:

The band is Sparks and they have had around 20 albums since, all very inventive.

4 Likes

Kimono My House, eh?

1 Like

They’ve never really made much of a dent here, but I do remember them getting a little bit of radio/TV airplay with When I’m With You

4 Likes

Was the hottest new Britpop thing for about two weeks.

3 Likes

Not usually one for these lists, only because they’re endless and I’ll waste…sorry, dedicate, even more time to Blitz, but there was a good interview in the Guardian today with Andy Partridge from XTC who also released some very cool psychedelic pop stuff under the name of

6 Likes

Now you’re talking.
The next one Psonic Psunspot is even better again!

2 Likes

Good thread idea and should be a great read ongoing. Mine , back in the day and still love it is Queen ll .

1 Like

Emitt_Rhodes_1970_cover

Emitt Rhodes - s/t

The closest Ive heard to Macca , his comp 'The Emitt Rhodes Recordings (1969-1973) is an absolute goldmine of hits

2 Likes

Ogre Battle is heavy metal fantasy done right!

1 Like

1 Like

Modern Eon - Fiction Tales
A lot of gloomy post-punk got resurrected by new younger listeners but this great album from 1981 gets overlooked. It actually reached 65 on the UK charts. I really rate it. The whole album is a solid listen, and the song Euthenics is an absolute gem from that time.

3 Likes

These three are good. Don’t know if they are obscure though.

Aussie blues band mid 70’s.

It has Star Trekkin’, what more do I need to say?

Well remembered for Computer Games but the album I reckon, is a cracker.

4 Likes

How on earth have I never heard of this album or band?
A quick listen tells me that’s right in my wheelhouse, but it somehow passed me by completely.
That’s going to get a proper spin over the course of the weekend…

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not a world beater but it shouldn’t have slipped through the cracks like it has.

I came across this album in around 2002. I just randomly sorted through a bargain bin at Leading Edge music. And found this album by a communist punk band called Redtape.

Still one of my most unusual finds, and one of my favourite albums. $5 thank you very much.

2 Likes