Federal Budget 2015

The cuts to maternity leave is pretty much the only thing I know about the budget, and it's insane.

Not all of it, the double dipping is a bit over the top and needed to be looked at. But yeah, it is a complete reversal of how Howard saw ML.

One of the ramifications of this will be a decrease in already low breastfeeding in the first 12 months of a childs life because mothers will go back to work sooner.

But they're still going to get maternity leave - just not two lots of it.

Currently employers who offer it offer 6-12 weeks paid leave. The government offers another 18. For a lot of families can’t afford one parent not to be working. This means a parent (usually the mother but not always) to go back to work 18 weeks earlier. 18 weeks is huge in babies life and a really important bonding time.

But those people can still claim the baby bonus which has a reasonably high threshold of 75k over 6 months.

If families on more than 150k a year cannot survive without the $12k paid parental leave then they need to reassess their family budget.

As opposed to the $75,000 the Liberals thought was right in the previous budget…

Based on what I can remember from economics at Uni (which is very little), when you change any one variable, the result / market reaction is usually the exact opposite to what you'd think it would be.

Class dismissed

its a bit more involved than that, you gotta acocunt for like 4-5 theories that old as ■■■■ rich ■■■■■ came up with that don’t apply to real world situations and criticise the ■■■■ out of the proposed topic taking stand points for each of those old ■■■■■. all while knowing you’re writing a load of ■■■■.

I await the Bugman’s detailed analysis…

The cuts to maternity leave is pretty much the only thing I know about the budget, and it's insane.

Not all of it, the double dipping is a bit over the top and needed to be looked at. But yeah, it is a complete reversal of how Howard saw ML.

One of the ramifications of this will be a decrease in already low breastfeeding in the first 12 months of a childs life because mothers will go back to work sooner.

Currently employers who offer it offer 6-12 weeks paid leave. The government offers another 18. For a lot of families can’t afford one parent not to be working. This means a parent (usually the mother but not always) to go back to work 18 weeks earlier. 18 weeks is huge in babies life and a really important bonding time.

But those people can still claim the baby bonus which has a reasonably high threshold of 75k over 6 months.

If families on more than 150k a year cannot survive without the $12k paid parental leave then they need to reassess their family budget.

If you claim parental leave from the government you don’t get a baby bonus.

Correct. You either get one or the other.
But again if you earn less than 75k in 6 months (which equates to 150k pa) then you will get the baby bonus anyway.

So lower income earners are still protected.

Correct. You either get one or the other.
But again if you earn less than 75k in 6 months (which equates to 150k pa) then you will get the baby bonus anyway.

So lower income earners are still protected.

Not often i agree with you Trips but I do this time.

Do you have kids trip?

take the ■■■■■■ heat out of the property market so that idiots or the desperate aren’t forced to pay so much that they literally cannot afford for both partners not to work.

paid maternity leave is an interesting one. Personally, and its just my view (3 kids fwiw, if that matters), i hate that SO many kids spend 5 days per week in childcare. dropped off at 8, see ya missy, i’ll be back this evening. starting as tiny little lads and ladettes. For years on end. I cannot see how that is anywhere near ideal for longer term outcomes. bonding with the baby is important. but so is bonding with the two year old. do we ask the taxpayer to fund home parenting for 12 months? two years? where does the line get drawn? who decides when possible social impact later suddenly assumes more or lesser importance?

the balance is utterly wrong. the notion that you buy a ■■■■■■ place knowing that you can handle the repayments on one income whilst the partner gives the kids the time in the early years (we did this. i still don’t really like our house, lol) has been blown to the schiezen by several factors. one is the insane property market - paying 40,50,60% of weekly income on mortgages is totally disastrous and locks parents and kids into very little wriggle room. it flows into all manner of life choices and pressures.

I would much rather we find ways of making living cheaper and more sustainable than offering ever increasing periods of subsidised maternity leave. If they scrap or modify negative gearing, if they block internationals from domestic property purchases (no idea if these things work or what effect they would have, just examples) and my house value drops by 50%, stiff ■■■■. i haven’t re-financed it 10 times to upgrade the toys, i’ve just tried to pay it off. If it’s still worth the same ratio compared to the neighbour, then it effects me not one iota. If it then allows the average couple on 60k to get into a place of their own and have a family, then i’d much rather that than sit around on the weekend feeling all smug that my average little abode has almost made me a paper millionaire purely because a market has gone stark freaking stupidly mad.

it’s probably impossible, i know. those who bought in the last 12 months would go to the wall because their homes would be worth less than the banks would have listed as security. maybe scrap maternity leave and pay out the balance for those who bought family homes relatively recently? Ludicrous? probably. it’d take far far far better brains than mine to compute the seismic impact such changes would have. But i can see the inexorable drive to a very unpleasant endpoint as things currently are. Which makes me think - even as someone not stuck in a mortgage headlock, i’m inadvertently being forced to make choices. I find myself wondering how the hell my three will ever buy a home. The answer appears to be that i need to crank up my earnings now, invest for them and give them a kickstart. So do i start looking for tax dodges? raking in every cent i can and giving back as little as possible? hey, its for my kids, you know. i’m a good guy. but if i’m accumulating wealth now, someone else isn’t. and then i’ve become part of the drive to measure all success in economic endgames. So i have to choose.

Personally, isn’t there an argument to say that paid maternity leave is actually a contributing factor (and paradoxically a symptom) of the feedback loop that we should actually be trying to break?

of course, i’m ignoring the side of things where both parents WANT to work. That’s a social choice and ideally - but of course impractically - those people wouldn’t want/need 9 months of maternity leave anyway.

crikey, sorry if that shambolic post is full of holes and little sense. also sorry if it comes across as judgemental. its not meant to be. in any way.

Cracking post Sal.

We bought last November, and paid way too much for my liking, so I’m not a massive fan of your idea, but conceptually there is some real truth there.

But my sister just sold her house at auction in Rowville. Pretty standard 3 bed, 2 bath. The agent wanted to put the reserve at 490k, but my sister insisted on 530. It sold for 615k. In friggin Rowville. Wtf?

What I’m trying to say is, yes, something needs to be done about the property market, because I just can’t see how the current trend is sustainable.

Negative gearing should be applied only to new property. That’s an easy place to start.

The people screaming down the tv and screaming via the newspaper are the same people who are buying a finite social resource at a rate that is not being replaced .

Ng should be treated like a cgt loss and carried forward to offset against other investment income

The government should decrease the stamp duty for first home owners (regardless of a fhob or not) and them apply a premium scale that moves per houses owned.

If would then correct investment into actual markets I.e shares, bonds, gold, swaps, units , cash, business

I await the Bugman's detailed analysis...

Can’t be bothered.

A Debt and Deficit Disaster of a budget

Cheer up.

I will when we have a proper Government

Bitter to the grave, then.

Not bitter just disappointed. I believe in a better Australia

yeah but I reckon if you wrote a list of demands in dot points, emailed it to hockey, big joe control c control vs it, presents it as this years budget and you would still have the noose out. give it a rest.

Reporting at the moment is showing pictures of tradies out in front of tool shops buying up because of the changes to how purchases are taxed. The changes haven’t taken effect yet though have they?

Reporting at the moment is showing pictures of tradies out in front of tool shops buying up because of the changes to how purchases are taxed. The changes haven't taken effect yet though have they?

Yes they have - backdated to the time of budget announcement.

Ahhh ok, thanks DT :slight_smile:

take the ■■■■■■ heat out of the property market so that idiots or the desperate aren't forced to pay so much that they literally cannot afford for both partners not to work.

paid maternity leave is an interesting one. Personally, and its just my view (3 kids fwiw, if that matters), i hate that SO many kids spend 5 days per week in childcare. dropped off at 8, see ya missy, i’ll be back this evening. starting as tiny little lads and ladettes. For years on end. I cannot see how that is anywhere near ideal for longer term outcomes. bonding with the baby is important. but so is bonding with the two year old. do we ask the taxpayer to fund home parenting for 12 months? two years? where does the line get drawn? who decides when possible social impact later suddenly assumes more or lesser importance?

the balance is utterly wrong. the notion that you buy a ■■■■■■ place knowing that you can handle the repayments on one income whilst the partner gives the kids the time in the early years (we did this. i still don’t really like our house, lol) has been blown to the schiezen by several factors. one is the insane property market - paying 40,50,60% of weekly income on mortgages is totally disastrous and locks parents and kids into very little wriggle room. it flows into all manner of life choices and pressures.

I would much rather we find ways of making living cheaper and more sustainable than offering ever increasing periods of subsidised maternity leave. If they scrap or modify negative gearing, if they block internationals from domestic property purchases (no idea if these things work or what effect they would have, just examples) and my house value drops by 50%, stiff ■■■■. i haven’t re-financed it 10 times to upgrade the toys, i’ve just tried to pay it off. If it’s still worth the same ratio compared to the neighbour, then it effects me not one iota. If it then allows the average couple on 60k to get into a place of their own and have a family, then i’d much rather that than sit around on the weekend feeling all smug that my average little abode has almost made me a paper millionaire purely because a market has gone stark freaking stupidly mad.

it’s probably impossible, i know. those who bought in the last 12 months would go to the wall because their homes would be worth less than the banks would have listed as security. maybe scrap maternity leave and pay out the balance for those who bought family homes relatively recently? Ludicrous? probably. it’d take far far far better brains than mine to compute the seismic impact such changes would have. But i can see the inexorable drive to a very unpleasant endpoint as things currently are. Which makes me think - even as someone not stuck in a mortgage headlock, i’m inadvertently being forced to make choices. I find myself wondering how the hell my three will ever buy a home. The answer appears to be that i need to crank up my earnings now, invest for them and give them a kickstart. So do i start looking for tax dodges? raking in every cent i can and giving back as little as possible? hey, its for my kids, you know. i’m a good guy. but if i’m accumulating wealth now, someone else isn’t. and then i’ve become part of the drive to measure all success in economic endgames. So i have to choose.

Personally, isn’t there an argument to say that paid maternity leave is actually a contributing factor (and paradoxically a symptom) of the feedback loop that we should actually be trying to break?

of course, i’m ignoring the side of things where both parents WANT to work. That’s a social choice and ideally - but of course impractically - those people wouldn’t want/need 9 months of maternity leave anyway.

Thats a cracking post Sal, and absolutely spot on, that was the decision my wife and I had to make once we started our family, comprimse the area (in our case though we were not in Melbourne, so had the benefit of cheaper housing markets, but my kids are still in childcare 3 days week, she worked part time for just under 2 years, and for the last year and bit its been me, but make no mistake we have been very lucky that we were able to be in that position, I do hate that they go to child care even for that amount of time.

On the paid parental leave, it it wasnt for that suppliment on top of my wives work paid leave we would have been in a lot of trouble after our first, she had complications post birth that meant it was not medically possible for her to return to any form of work inside the first 6 months of my daughters life, that 18 weeks was the difference between bankruptcy for us, luckily in the time between our first and second I got promoted so money was not an issue the second time round, and the little extra cash was more a buffer than a necessity.

I can not even comprehend out familys do it in Sydney or Melbourne, in the past 3 places we have lived (Adelaide, Griffith, Toowoomba, 450 K buys you a nice, well looked after 4br (in Griffith you get a mansion on an acre for that) close to work, near parks, perfect. Melbourne for the same sort of money you would lucky to get a run down hovel in Dandenong, an an hour commute to work. We thought about going back to Melbourne, when @#$% governement harpooned CSIRO, but the idea of dropping the kids of at childcare at 7:30 am and picking them up at 6pm, both working full time and living in Narre Warren and working in the city did not seem appealing. We are big advocates of not extending ourselves to far. We could afford to live closer to the city but are not willing to risk a chance of circumstances affecting our lifestyle.

Something is fundamentally wrong with this country and the way property has become.

I await the Bugman's detailed analysis...

Can’t be bothered.

Slack

The more I think about it, the more I reckon my sister and her husband got it right. Rather than try and slave it out in the city, they moved out to the bush, bought a house for fk-all, and she works full time in education while he’s a stay-at-home dad with some casual work at the local pool and golf club on the evenings and weekends. The salary pays the bills, the casual wage is the play money. Them and their kids are happy as larry.

Gets me wondering about people saying the country needs a big change in thinking, yet remain married to the notion that they have to live in a capital city because “that’s where the jobs are”. If you live in a cheaper area, then maybe both parents don’t need jobs.