Filthy Rich and Homeless

Saw it last night. Reckon the participants have undergone a significant change of perspective on homeless people. Reckon I have too.

1 Like

I did the CEO sleepout this year and didn’t learn much as we work in a similar field but the one thing I did learn is that its around 50% of homeless now are women and most of those are fleeing violent and controlling partners. And some would otherwise be seen as well of if they had access to the money.

2 Likes

I wanted to judge R Wilkins’ kid but found myself giving him credit instead for participating in this experiment. There are a lot of easier ways to gain a personal profile but I don’t think that was the motivation for him, or for any of the others.

1 Like

I was surprised at how few beds were available and how dangerous these places are. I’d have thought you were more likely to get assaulted on the streets but maybe not.

2 Likes

It would be tough to do no matter who you are.
I was surprised they were all so bored and had trouble filling the time in.

Obviously not being in that situation, but all I could think of if it was 10 days, was to ditch the ■■■■■■ shopping bag for starters. Get a map and do a bit of a walking tour around melbourne, there’s a heap of stuff to do, go to the library and read a book! Steal a bike and take it to cash converters! Do an eat and run from a supermarket or top class restaurant. Obviously this relates to the show and life on the streets would be much tougher.

I hadn’t heard of any of the ‘contestants’ previously, and it looked like a lot of free publicity to me.

Perhaps the Wilkins and Fenech offspring were in it for profile raising, maybe the cosmetics woman but not sure about the other blokes. Having said that, just how much profile would be gained by appearing on a reality/doco about a subject most people don’t give a sh*t about on a station that very few people watch? I can’t but help feel that all the participants were sincere about trying to gain some perspective on a difficult and polarising issue.

1 Like

All great things to do when all you are thinking about is eating and sleeping

1 Like