Fixture 2021 - including changes due to COVID and when the AFL deem us worthy of knowing actual times for upcoming games

Useless

Issue being if WA get a case, then it’s locked down with no crowds at all.

Up cooney

1 Like

Our 4 finals games will be held in Tassie, Adelaide, Perth & Perth.
Just get used to the idea.
We’re the travelling wilburys of footy teams and we’re gonna kick arsse.

3 Likes

Feels inevitable we’ll be in Sydney round one as patsies for buddy’s 1000th.

3 Likes

Please, he ain’t snagging 5 with Laverde standing alongside him.

3 Likes

Lets see what the umpiures have to say about this,

remember a blinder game Hurley played on buddy no goals to 3 quarter time, and then 3 BS Frees resulted in easy goals to buddy plus 1 I think he deserved.

Forget about whether he does it or not, the inevitability is the AFL sending us there.

So, if as expected based on the latest update from Andrews, stadiums likely remain below 100% capacity in 2022. What’s the implication for Essendon’s position on Marvel Stadium? 80% means only 45,000 capacity, especially given Medallion Club and corporates will eat into this number. In effect actual capacity could be as low as 40,000. insufficient for a performing Essendon, especially against the Victorian clubs…

The big looser will be those without a membership because members will be prioritised… Walk ups may not get much of a look in if Essendon performs on field.

I can’t see it going any other way.

What’s the implication for ensuring the club doesn’t create a big issue of locking out its fans? MCG clubs won’t be impacted as 80-85,000 capacity is sufficient. Not so for Essendon at Marvel.

The pandemic may be around for several years. Essendon needs to be careful in addressing its position in the years ahead. A strong Essendon on field can’t be playing out of a 45,000 seat stadium the next 2-3 years. That’s not an outcome the club should be signing up to. A solution needs to be worked through otherwise another layer of Essendon fans will be shut out of attending games, impacting family base etc.

Membership MAY be the only way to guarantee entry to several home games next year. It’s not a good situation and is looming as an elephant in the room for Essendon fans and management alike.

1 Like

You’d think Hawks would be the better option!

2 Likes

Where did they say 80% capacity at most…?

Move us to the G or fk off Xav

3 Likes

The Premier last week indicated it was unlikely total capacity would be unlocked for the forceable future whilst a pandemics in place. It was rhetoric when questioned on capacity moving forward. Indicated there would more than likely need to be some spaces within stadiums still.

I agree with the first part of your statement.

I think your Docklands capacity “elephant in the room” is a bit of a Pygmy.

In 2019 we only had 2 games that exceeded 80% capacity- both interestingly against Norf.
And then only by 1000 or so.
And 2 other games that were close to the 80% mark.

Of all the fixture permutations to be concerned about this isn’t one of them.

NB - particularly if you take out the 2% of unvaccinated nuffies who won’t be able to attend anyway.

Things like the “floating fixture” - thank you FarkCarlton for bringing that into existence- and Thursday & Monday games are much more likely to impact attendance at Docklands.

I’d be more concerned about not being able to have 100% at the MCG for our Grand Final victory

One was the Good Friday game and the other (from memory) was a must-win for both teams to make finals.

Unlikely, I think! After all, we have a special ‘deal’ with Marvel (or whomever its owners are).
It would just be good that in 2022, our home games really are home games - no playing at ‘neutral’ (i.e., interstate) venues - especially when changes are made to accommodate our opponents and not us.
Oh, and we plebs can actually attend…

I like attending games at Marvel, so easy to get in and out.

4 Likes

That’s not entirely correct. 4 of our 7 homes games were GA sell outs, with only standing room or restricted view seats available at match start.

Saints, Hawks, Kangaroos, Power all between 42-46,000.

Bulldogs (41,800) didn’t sell out on the day, you could still get a GA seat. Giants and Dockers well short.

Point being, if 42-46,000 goes to the majority of Essendon home games at effective sellout, what’s going to be the impact when (if) we have 10,000 seats deemed unsaleable if capacity is restricted to 45,000 based on 80%? A strong Essendon playing in a stadium with effectively 40,000 seats is a problem for a club trying to encourage its supporters to attend more games. That’s the issue presenting itself and should be worked through now whilst planning is being done.

All I’m saying is this. If we are going into 2022 knowing stadiums are likely to be at best 85% capacity for much of the year, what’s being done now to avert hoards of fans not being able to attend many home games? Solution is move two of the bigger drawing potential Marvel home games to the MCG (Eg: Hawks / Demons or Cats / Demons). Pandemic has required everyone to be agile. We should reward fans in 2022 by making a couple of extra MCG home games available to reward fans and ensure we don’t lock them out. Otherwise we will wait until our first home game and the chorus of media and fans pushing the AFL for our first home game to be moved to the MCG like last year (again).

Iirc, Andrews reasoning was that as children can’t get vaccinated yet, the govt were hesitant on allowing unlimited capacity at sporting events where they are likely to attend. Assuming children are approved to be vaccinated by the end of the year, this shouldn’t be an issue by next March imo

2 Likes