Fixture 2021 - including changes due to COVID and when the AFL deem us worthy of knowing actual times for upcoming games

Your maths doesn’t add up by your own account.
If games are restricted to 45,000 as you say, and a couple of games would’ve had 46,000, as you say;
1000 missing out is hardly hordes.

And you haven’t addressed the point of some nuffies not being able to attend anyway.

I get you want more MCG games, but this argument won’t cut it.

There’ll be more outcry over limiting the Anzac Day crowd where, for the three years 2017, 18, & 19, a max of 80,000 would see
Over 7,500, 11,200 and 12,200 miss out

That’s a horde.
Docklands is small beer.

That’s because YOU are tin pot.

1 Like

I personally want Essendon to have as many of its fans that want to go, can go. Nuffies or otherwise. 20 years ago Essendon averages 57,000 per home game and as membership reserved seat sales have increased, so have Marvel Stadium no shows which means the stadium at full capacity (55,000) only really has a working capacity for Essendon games of around 46,000. This is why in 2018/19 several Essendon ‘sell outs (GA reserve) were confined to 43-46,000…… In the past some of these local blockbusters against the Hawks et all were drawing 65-80,000 across town.

Looking ahead to 2022, IF the government imposes restrictions on capacity, say 80%, Marvels total available seating will be only around 44,000 (80% of 55,000). And given thousands of these 44,000 available seats in a covid reduced capacity world would be no shows, it means that in reality there may be only 40,000 able to get into a Marvel home game in 2022, of which ~3,500 are Medallion Club. Thst leaves possibly only 37,500 able to get into a game against the Demons(?), Hawks(?) or Bulldogs(?). Not a good outcome especially given we have time to manage through it now before it becomes a big issue in season… Can you imaging a home Friday night clash against Melbourne with only 37,500 the official attendance?! Let’s ensure this can’t happen is all I’m saying.

Essendon’s a big club. It isn’t acceptable that moving forward we should be aspiring to have only 40,000 at an all Victorian Essendon home fixture at Marvel… It’s only October so all I’m saying is we should be proactively working towards solutions to avoid this problem becoming a reality.

Otherwise, there’s the real possibility non members won’t get to see many games next year. Even if as you say, they’re nuffies…

1 Like

We will have full crowds because children (apart from infants under 6 months) will be vaccinated by the end of March. Nothing to see here I don’t reckon

I AM ME!

1 Like

The nuffies I’m politely referring to, as per my first post, are the unvaccinated.
Who won’t be able to attend any games.
And stiff ■■■■.

You still avoided;
My points re blockbuster games at the G being more of an issue
The relatively few games affected - now you’re adding extra ticket restrictions- based on pre- COVID entry practices- which I can guarantee will change. I’ll bet no- shows will be actively minimised, for example.
And that the overall draw- days & nights of the week etc has a more significant effect.

Of all the fixture things to get up tight about. Jeez.
Let’s just be grateful there’s any home crowds, and hope the Awful doesn’t send us off for 10 or 11 interstate games.

2 Likes

I hope you’re not turning this into an argument. I’m not avoiding anything. I’m not interested in MCG crowds impacted. I’m discussing Marvel home games in my post because these crowds are impacted most by further reductions in capacity… These crowds are already impacted compared to what they could’ve drawn in years past at the MCG.

I’m not adding layers. I think you may have misread my post, or you’re defending Marvel Stadium (entirely reasonable) or justifying ongoing crowd caps… I’m not interested in any of that tbh.

My point is simply this. Crowd caps at Marvel in 2022 likely reduce capacity at Essendon games to below 40,000 and that’s not a good result for Essendon fans wanting to watch the Bombers in 2022. This in a backdrop of a stadium thst under normal capacity regularly sells out for games in years where Essendon is travelling well on field.

Secondly, if the league believe this will likely impact most of the season, let’s start thinking of possible workarounds now so we can aim to have as many Essendon fans and families going to the footy as possible.

It’s hard to argue the point of doing what we can as part of planning for 2022 to mitigate where possible Essendon supporters not being able to attend home games if we can solve the problem by playing a couple of the likely larger drawing Marvel games to the MCG where Bomber fans can get it.

Nothing more, nothing less.

1 Like

1 Like

Think your meme turned up on a Wednesday expecting to watch the Melbourne Cup.

3 posts were split to a new topic: The fixture is in (OK, not yet) - 2022