Fixture Requests 2017

I have a feeling those poor little broadcasters aren’t being considered enough in this proposal

After all, they run the game… right? And the betting agencies.

Why the hell does the AFL care what the teams want?

Request that our AFL and VFL games be clearly separated so we can attend both.

Request that our AFL and VFL games be clearly separated so we can attend both.

Exactly

Return MCG matches against Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond.

Saturday arvo games. All of them.

So no ANZAC Day?
Just kidding, I know what you mean.
FWIW I don’t mind Dreamtime being a Sat night game, adds to the theatre a bit.
Would love us to pinch Good Friday game, Norf and Fark Carlton think it’s their right to play that day

AFL:

I wish people would just look at this from the AFL point of view. Essendon pulls amongst the best crowds interstate and that is good for the game on a national level, especially opening round.

All this rot about fairness and equality, where is the money in that?

And those rusted on Essendon supporters, we couldn’t get rid of them if we tried.

And besides screwing with Essendon supporters is one of Mike Fitzpatrick’s favourite pastimes.

Essendon request Friday night blockbuster to welcome back suspended superstars

ESSENDON wants to mark the historic return of its suspended superstars with a Round 1, Friday night blockbuster in front of a packed MCG next season.

The Sunday Herald Sun can reveal the Bombers put the request in writing to the AFL this month and suggested Melbourne as its opponent.

That match-up could pit Demons recruit Jake Melksham and trade target Michael Hibberd against their former teammates in a ratings bonanza for Channel 7

Essendon will invite supporters to march to the MCG from Federation Square as one before they welcome back heroes including likely captain Dyson Heppell, Michael Hurley, Cale Hooker and David Myers.

The timeslot is up for grabs given Easter will likely fall in Round 4 and the annual Carlton-Richmond clash is set to launch the season on Thursday night.

The Bombers have hosted just two Round 1 matches since 2000, the fewest in the AFL, and have started interstate seven times

“It’s been a long time since Essendon have played a home game consistently in Round 1,” chief executive Xavier Campbell told the Herald Sun.

“We always seem to play an away game, or a game at Etihad Stadium in a secondary timeslot.

“Above and beyond the normal blockbuster requests, we’ve put a request in for Friday night, Round 1.”

“We have flagged Melbourne, because obviously a lot of our games are already locked away.”

The Bombers have annual MCG games against Collingwood (Anzac Day), Richmond (Dreamtime) and Geelong (Country Game) set in the fixture.

Campbell said the request was central to plans to create a new tradition where fans meet at Federation Square and walk together to the first home game every season.

In Round 2 about 15,000 fans marched with Kevin Sheedy, past players and board members before the Dons celebrated a shock win against the Demons.

The Bombers believe their 2017 fixture should not be compromised because of their ladder slide triggered by the WADA wipeout.

Carlton was frozen out of Friday nights this year after it collected the wooden spoon.

The Bombers drew just 14,463 in Round 13 — the club’s smallest since a 1991 game at Windy Hill

But Campbell said “everyone would acknowledge” the Bombers were a special case this season.

After a Friday night stinker this year, coach John Worsfold said Channel 7 would be the loser if the AFL banished Essendon from prime time.

Fixture submissions for all clubs were due a fortnight ago, but can be rejected.

Last year the league denied a joint submission from Western Bulldogs and Collingwood to lock a Round 1 MCG clash into the fixture each season.

Campbell said rewarding the club’s loyal fan base with a bumper game to kick off 2017 was a “really important consideration”.

Former captain Jobe Watson will decide his future in coming weeks but indications are he will play on.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-request-friday-night-blockbuster-to-welcome-back-suspended-superstars/news-story/5c21cbac63e5fa12e14313c397b6f71d

The Bombers have hosted just two Round 1 matches since 2000, the fewest in the AFL, and have started interstate seven times
Have I ever mentioned I hate the AFL?

2 home, 7 away, 7 away away.

That is gross. I knew it was rare that we get a home game round 1 but wow. That is bad.

The Bombers drew just 14,463 in Round 13 — the club’s smallest since a 1991 game at Windy Hill

Quoted for relevance to nothing.

A good move by us…but Melbourne? Meh…maybe…would still be a huge event, but I say give us those brown and gold cheats or brad scott and his farkrattling mob.

Either way the joint will explode when Trav runs from half back with four bounces and drills it from 50 to put us in front in the last.

As for StKilda and the Dogs; sorry, but you’re just not big enough for this ride; you couldn’t fill one bay of the G.

Lol Xavier

Round 1 will be vs Freo in Perth on a 32 degree afternoon in March

i assume the criteria was clubs we play at the G, have a good chance of beating, and don’t already have locked in games against.

Pretty much the only Melbourne teams big enough are Melbourne and Hawks. Of those two I know which one I’d fancy our chances against.

This is on the cards I reckon. They’re just softening the great unwashed for the news.

The “Walk To the G” just to show our support, (and in memoriam of being screwed over) to kick it off against the Deez, will become somehow permanent,… be it Round One every year, … or just most.

Melbourne would make an excellent first up opponent too, … for at least the next 5 years or so.

Good idea. No one else ever did it, and now we can make it another of our traditions.

It will happen. And the only teams we could play that would make it a big game are Hawthorn and Melbourne. We have more chance of beating the dees. I’m hugely on board this request

I want our home games against the Saints,Dogs,North at the G.

The AFL gonna milk us for all were worth.

More saturday arvo's at the G. Best timeslot in footy

Last year I walked past a vacant MCG on a beautiful early Sunday afternoon to AAMI stadium.
There was a 4 o’clock game under the roof at Etihad.
Forget club stuff, that should not ever, ever happen.

Huh !

Bombers do not play at AAMI, are you being an unfaithful ■■■■ !

The AFL gonna milk us for all were worth.

Yep, they know a cash cow when they see it. There is a HUGE dollar in here for them if they give the opening to us.

Every footy supporters regardless if they hate us would have a curious interest in how we go round 1 with our players back.