Fletcher forward

Hi guys my name is Paul and I’ve followed Essendon all my life and this. Is my twentieth year as a member. Does anybody think along my thoughts of having Fletch play forward and put Carlisle at the back where clearly he plays his best football, it would be an awesome back line and fletch at full forward would be able to play another two years. I’m sure speedy used him in the forward line a few times and turned the games around for us. Hmm just a thought

I have had that thought. He is a ball winner and could really spark up the forwards line. The only problem is that it could leave a big gap in the backline considering Carlisle's form lately. I reckon it could be worth a try.

In a word, no. 

Hi guys my name is Paul and I've followed Essendon all my life and this. Is my twentieth year as a member. Does anybody think along my thoughts of having Fletch play forward and put Carlisle at the back where clearly he plays his best football, it would be an awesome back line and fletch at full forward would be able to play another two years. I'm sure speedy used him in the forward line a few times and turned the games around for us. Hmm just a thought

No

Why would playing him up forward extend his longevity?

I'd feel terrible seeing our 39yr old champion getting smashed/kneed in contests by gorrila defenders. 

Plus, him and Hooksy has been our best players let alone defenders, lets keep him down there hey? Especially since we are in no position to be trialling new things atm 

Paul, welcome, and I’m voting FOR your idea. He often gets goals when he goes forward and might be able to organise the rabble up there. We’ve got shed loads of tall backmen and I hardly think Hooker, Hibberd, Hurley, Carlisle and co will fall apart without him there. So yeah, why not, and anyway I love it when Dusty scores.

Having said all that it probably won’t happen.

Cameo definitely, full time no.

Paul, welcome, and I'm voting FOR your idea. He often gets goals when he goes forward and might be able to organise the rabble up there. We've got shed loads of tall backmen and I hardly think Hooker, Hibberd, Hurley, Carlisle and co will fall apart without him there. So yeah, why not, and anyway I love it when Dusty scores.
Having said all that it probably won't happen.

No, he gets goals when he pushes up the field from the back line. Every time "Speedy" tried him as a starting forward he looked all out of sorts, at least compared to the assured defender we all know and love. He could swap with Carlisle for small periods but would it be worth it really?

Not to mention playing forward would shorten the time he has left.

You’d be putting the oldest man in the AFL in the most physically demanding position.

Paul, welcome, and I'm voting FOR your idea. He often gets goals when he goes forward and might be able to organise the rabble up there. We've got shed loads of tall backmen and I hardly think Hooker, Hibberd, Hurley, Carlisle and co will fall apart without him there. So yeah, why not, and anyway I love it when Dusty scores.
Having said all that it probably won't happen.

No, he gets goals when he pushes up the field from the back line. Every time "Speedy" tried him as a starting forward he looked all out of sorts, at least compared to the assured defender we all know and love. He could swap with Carlisle for small periods but would it be worth it really?

Not to mention playing forward would shorten the time he has left.
Fine, so tell him to "push up the field from the back line" at the start of the game.

You'd be putting the oldest man in the AFL in the most physically demanding position.

Yeah, but at least then the media could tell us he was always over-rated and only played in the easy spots and on the easy players.

FFS

FFS

Fletcher Forward Stat? 

Fletcher Forward Sure?

Ryder back, Fletcher in Ruck. should have been done along time ago. 

Just give up. 

He has played 384 games and not one as a forward. And there are good reasons for that. He has kicked 34 goals in his entire career and I remember every one !

Let him play the remainder of his next ten years where he does it best.

He has played 384 games and not one as a forward. And there are good reasons for that. He has kicked 34 goals in his entire career and I remember every one!

LOL, you looked at the EFC site to get that number, didn‘t you? Did you notice it only went back to 2001? Enough for mere mortals, but not Fletcher.
He‘s kicked 69 goals. Do you remember 1996, for example? 16 goals in 9 games, including two bags of three. Did he do all that from full-back?

He even played two, maybe three weeks forward in mid 2000. Stuffed him up for a few weeks when he switched back. Caused him to get six kicked on him by Nathan Thompson.  

The moral is; switching rarely works. 

Put Carlisle back where he belongs and build a premiership strength back line .Big red isn't going to be playing by the time we get close so make the move.  

Play the old fella in a tall winger type role ala the Fridge from North or what they did with Richo ( iirc)  late in his career ..free him up to run a bit , he can match with the quicks and out mark the smalls . May not work but if he got the ball around midfield  you could back it to be delivered deep, quick  and accurately into the forwards. 

We could really confuse Richmond by playing all our players out of position.

Fletcher forward, Daniher back, Hurley into the midfield, Hibberd into the ruck.

He even played two, maybe three weeks forward in mid 2000. Stuffed him up for a few weeks when he switched back. Caused him to get six kicked on him by Nathan Thompson.  

The moral is; switching rarely works. 

How did he ever pick up enough votes to win the B & F then?