Football Department changes

Seems like a strategy coach/ biomechanist

the former AIS biomechanist also acknowledged in the AFL world for helping turn Hawthorn into the competition’s best kickers during their premiership run from 2013 to 2015. And, among many other things, Rath is also widely respected as an insightful trend analyst.

Rath was instrumental in helping the Hawks win the 2008 premiership with a new zone defence system most teams later copied, and the AFL even recruited him to adjust the game’s rules a decade later, to open up the game.

“He’s one of the brightest blokes I’ve met in sport generally,

21 Likes

I never trust people with those sort of glasses.

2 Likes

Great get

RISH AND RATH

19 Likes

Brings a new element to the Rish and RATH podcast.

**Edit, @James98 beat me to it.

2 Likes
2 Likes

i like a shrink that looks perenially tired

1 Like

Loving this. Further investment into coaching/development with a bloke that was part of 4x premierships and a highly regarded sports psyche to address the ‘between the ears’ issues that plagues the club.

11 Likes

Tweaking the game plan, better kicking and a head doctor? Can’t say we don’t need all the above.

1 Like

I like these appointments.

Since Rob Harding left, we have probably had a void in our game plan / match-day tactics and coaching in a strategy sense. Essendon has often been seen as a ‘Plan A’ only team, incapable of responding to teams who challenge its game plans during matches. This makes sense.

Obviously kicking technique and skill is an area of deficiency at Essendon, a great chance for a skilled coach to work with Tsatas et all to improve technique and accuracy by foot (Rath is a Biomechanist who up-skilled Hawks kicking in Clarko era).

Given the Club needs to build resilience and mental capability, Robbins appointment adds necessary resources to a noted weakness too.

All in all, on paper these both appear to be strong appointments.

5 Likes

Rob Harding didn’t leave of his own accord.

Knowing our luck he will get alzheimers round 1 of the 2024 season and leave just before anzac day

In all seriousness hope he has a crack and makes a difference!

2 Likes

Rath and Robbins ice creamery?

1 Like

Oh we got Ben Robbins too. Fantastic!

Maybe we really needed Tony Robbins for motivation !

images (25)

4 Likes

Geez were raiding St Kilda and North

First Ryder, then Gresham, now Rath & Robbins

McKay & Goldy form Tin Rattlers

This is the footage of Robbins supporting the Saints players during their games.

https://x.com/7afl/status/1672211637116305416?s=46&t=YGdPXSqojqeDwdjPFXFTRQ

9 Likes

Robbins was initially at North with Scott.

So Scott worked with Robbins at North? Makes sense, obviously trusts him.

1 Like

The psych will need a psych after chatting to people at EFC.

A good get. A lot of the players will benefit from a sports psychology.

18 Likes