Former #1 Pig Hibberd

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/michael-hibberd-happy-to-stay-at-essendon-if-melbourne-deal-falls-through/news-story/66e968d214ead587c665e479efdb78e1

Michael Hibberd happy to stay at Essendon if Melbourne deal falls through

11 minutes agoby TOM MORRISSource: FOX SPORTS

MICHAEL Hibberd says he is prepared to play for Essendon in 2017 if a deal with his preferred club Melbourne cannot be reached.

This is despite Hibberd conceding he was angry with the Bombers at times this year.

The 26-year-old confirmed on Tuesday that he wants to don the red and blue, but there are no guarantees that the under contract defender will end up at Melbourne.

“If a deal doesn’t get done, hopefully they let me back because I’d still like to be playing footy,” Hibberd said.

“I want to be playing AFL football. These things tend to get done more often than not.”

Hibberd said he was leaning towards staying at Tullamarine midyear, before he changed his mind while on holiday with his girlfriend.

Although disappointed, he said his Essendon teammates, as well as chief executive Xavier Campbell, had been very supportive.

“When I got home I rang the 12 guys straight away and the CEO and told them I’d seek a fresh start,” Hibberd said.

“When I did it was a weight off my shoulders.

“Everyone has be really supportive all year. Xavier Campbell has been great.”

When pressed on how he would feel coming up against former teammates in a potential season opener between Melbourne and Essendon, Hibberd indicated it would not be an issue.

“It would be nice to be out with all the guys who have missed a year,” he said.

“It would be nice to be together.”

Hibberd has played 84 games for Essendon. Coach John Worsfold said last month that the club would expect an early second round pick in return for the left footer.

Hurl's isn't going to be too pleased about this.
Sounds like he made a decision but still doesn't actually know what he wants.

It’s a lot of pressure knowing you’re the only one who didn’t come back to play with your mates.

Should’ve gone to Europe with Geoff Hibberd.

Should've gone to Europe with Geoff Hibberd.

“Look here, son”

My take is Connors was siding with Melbourne to screw us in the trading process, Pig obviously doesn’t want that, similar to Carlisle not wanting us screwed, so he defused Melbourne’s bargaining power and gave us the option of keeping him. He has got a contract afterall, and our condition for releasing him is a fair deal which Woosha says is an early 2nd round pick.

And people say where difficult to deal with.

So who hates us more, Connors or Pig’s missus?

My take is Connors was siding with Melbourne to screw us in the trading process, Pig obviously doesn't want that, similar to Carlisle not wanting us screwed, so he defused Melbourne's bargaining power and gave us the option of keeping him. He has got a contract afterall, and our condition for releasing him is a fair deal which Woosha says is an early 2nd round pick.

We want 26 for Pig.
Give us that and he’s theirs.

What about a three way trade with Brisbane, Melbourne send dunn and pick 26 to Brisbane, we get Brisbane pick 20 and send hibbo to Melbourne. May be a lower pick to Brisbane but could work.

No I’m not falling into believing he could stay.

Hibbo sees pictures of the guys on Sydney Harbor.

Looks at girlfriend.

Looks at picture.

“Nooooooooo…”

what a weird guy.

Hi Michael's agent

Michael can stay playing with us if he likes, however now we will have to pay him less now. If we cant get a good trade deal done with Melbourne, then he can take his chances in the PSD. You know who has pick 1, dont you. We may not choose him, and he might up interstate. You can explain all of this to him.

Love

HUMBLE

PS: Two can play this game Connors.

And here I was thinking nobody in Dubbo had any idea what’s happening

Prospect of the reversal of the one man exodus has me excited. Pig was one of my favourite players. Didn’t want to to lose him tbh. But I won’t lose sleep over it either way.

It’s pretty obvious that pick 26 for Hibberd should do the trick for all concerned.
Worsfold has said early 2nd round, pick 26 is the 8th second round pick, so not really “early” but close enough.
If Melbourne baulk at giving it up for Hibberd, then they don’t really want him.
We’re not being unreasonable, and Hibberd, to his credit, seems to see it that way too.

WTF is the point of free agency if every player can just tell a club they want out and then nominate a club.

Exactly, especially when they are still in contract. Perhaps the AFL should be making law that a player in contract that wants out must nominate 2 clubs, not one. This gives the club some hope of getting a fair deal. If Hibberd nominates Melbourne as his primary and say stkilda as his secondary, if Essendon get a better deal from the secondary club, tough luck to the player. Would certainly make players think more carefully signing long term contracts, or walking out on contracts. If the primary club can match or get close, you would hope the player is fairly treated and moved on to his preferred club.

I say only 2 clubs as this allows players to go home to their home state. Only problem would be is if say an Adelaide player wanted out of his contract to go to Port etc.

Uncontracted players on the other hand, they could nominate just the one club if they like, only the PSD can be a threat. As it is now.

Edit: It would also mean that we’d still be in the running for O’Meara as a secondary destination. We would just need to beat the Hawks out with a trade (PSD wouldn’t be a threat to the GCS). Seems fair to me.

Edited the Edit: I just contradicted myself, O’Meara wouldn’t work because he’s out of contract…

It should simply be, you can leave mid contract but you can’t negotiate a new contract till the previous one expires.

Seems unfair on clubs to have to offer up better contracts mid point but can’t do the opposite if the player turns out to be rubbish.

So who hates us more, Connors or Pig's missus?

Ryder’s missus.

My take is Connors was siding with Melbourne to screw us in the trading process, Pig obviously doesn't want that, similar to Carlisle not wanting us screwed, so he defused Melbourne's bargaining power and gave us the option of keeping him. He has got a contract afterall, and our condition for releasing him is a fair deal which Woosha says is an early 2nd round pick.

We want 26 for Pig.
Give us that and he’s theirs.

I doubt Melbourne will be upset with giving up pick 26.

“Finish your rep and then do another one if you want, if you’re staying or don’t you know whats happening yet?”

In other words, this has nothing to do with being ‘sick of the club’ but more to do with being offered more money.
It’s fair enough to leave for money, but don’t say you hate the club and that is why you are leaving.