Former #17 James Stewart

Unless stewart starts taking massive pack marks in the square, which i don’t think he ever will, hooker cannot go back.which works for our forward line, and the moment the midfield as a whole (not 2-3 players) are offensively and defensively accountable, the whole hooker back thing will die.

2 Likes

Comparing him with Corey Gault.

I know he was at Collingwood but did he ever play a game or get a kick?

For a player in his first year at the club, that is a serious highlights package. Is a “footballer” and very athletic. Will continue to grow.

(Edit: Just as an aside, I know he hasn’t reached the same heights, but there is something a bit Stringer about Stewart.)

5 Likes

Ripping highlights package. Still reckon he’s a bit of a dark horse for a midfield role next year.

There’s only one other big guy in the comp who snaps it off the left and right like that, he loves a goal too

4 Likes

Ahh, the winger Kepler never turned into.

Just remember that we got him for a draft pick well after our last choice. He effectively cost us nothing and was the recruit of the year after McGrath, who was taken with the most valuable pick in the draft.

4 Likes

How many fend offs at training?

2 Likes

If he continues to improve as much as he did throughout this year we are going to have a very good player.

10 Likes

Good call.

The big fella had a great first season with us but this was still his best moment.

6 Likes

Spent a bit of time in the ruck in the intraclub.

It will be very interesting to see if they play him as the 2nd ruck during the season.

1 Like

Worsfold did say he wants to keep Joey away from the ruck. Jimmy would be the most logical choice to do the relief work. I don’t think we will ever see Bellchambers and Leuenberger in the same 22…

3 Likes

Luenberger is pure backup now imo

1 Like

Got to admit…very quiet has James been this whole preseason.
Fk all news, no real training reports have said he’s flying or standing out.

He was pretty ■■■■■■ handy in the balck half off the year in 2017.
Seemed to contest better one-on-one and still maintained his strength as a lead up forward.

Is he pivotal, or can we afford to have him not in the side?

most underrated player on list atm, really missed his relieving leads out to the wings and his beautiful right foot kick into the f50 last week, also scraps 1 to 3 goals a game and was looking to burst out to 4 to 5 this year.

2 Likes

Let’s be honest no one really cares about the role players.

Preseason interest has been on the new recruits/draftees and on the young players on list that it’s hoped will step up.

Stewart has seemingly got through preseason unscathed fitness wise and will be back in our best fwd setup again no doubt.

7 Likes

Core strength needs to improve for his contest work to become very dangerous.

Work rate and outside game is fine, He also has the right aggression levels.

Just want him to be able to hold his own vs some of the bigger backs, He’s got size on his side.

Edit: He’s best 22 for me.

Like those reports have come to mean anything when it matters.

As long as he’s worked on his overhead ability and set shot goal kicking then all good. Looking for 30-40 goals from him in 2018 to complement Hooksy and Joe

This is one of those threads that pops up every now and then and you see 100+ new posts and you think to yourself “Oh ■■■■ what happened?”

After opening the thread you realize some bumpkin has just bumped the thread for no good reason at all.

5 Likes