Former #17 James Stewart

@Killer_Mike I’m not trying to make trouble, but @Valtello_Starkwind just called you a ‘bumpkin’.

8 Likes

Well, that can’t be good.

3 Likes

Having 3 tall forwards kicking that many goals would be quite an achievement. Not sure if it’s even been done? Closest I can find in recent memory would be St. Kilda in 2004:

Gehrig - 103
Riewoldt - 67
Milne - 46*
Guerra - 29
Hamill - 27

Milne obviously not a tall forward there… I’m being pretty generous by saying Guerra or Hamill were too given they’re both below 185cm.

I’d say anything above 20 would be a good season for Stewart unless he becomes a larger focus in the forwardline than he was last season.

Adelaide last year had:
Walker - 54
Jenkins - 45
Lynch - 31

Add to that 55 from Betts

Stewart had 22 from 16 games last year, full season at that rate is 30. I don’t think it a stretch.

1 Like

if he improves his set shot kicking he could easily kick 30-40 in a season

Surely @Koala did an over detailed analysis in her training/thesis report.

1 Like

I wuv twaining raportz

4 - 5 goals a game would see him push the 100 goals in a season mark and probably win the Coleman. Seems unlikely

Yep and the weird thing was he kicked several difficult goals either from the boundary or on the run, yet regularly sprayed set shots from almost right in front

1 Like

He averaged 1.4 goals a game last year, which is 30 goals over a full season.

He will be an interesting one this year. There is certainly plenty of room for improvement.

1 Like

I’m really excited about Stewart, if he can produce a similar rate of improvement as last year he is going to be a pretty tough match up by seasons end.

1 Like

They got Joey kicking straight and given Stewart can find the goals, they should be able to sort out these easier ones.

They gotJoey kicking straight by transplanting his spraying set shots ability to Stewart.

Good to see Jimmy put in a good game. Will be vital to our forward structure.

4 Likes

Liked his game today reckon he’s going to have a big season

1 Like

I was say pivotal.

He was integral as we staggered towards the finals in '17:

• he and Walla iced the game in the final passage of play in our 2nd match v Blues
  • and he stepped up in the absence of Hooksey v Fremantle to help us over the line

I think plays similarly to Gunston: links up well in chains of play & and is a very tall lead up fwd with elite running power & agility. Seems a good firld kick too.

I’d actually think he’s got improvement in his work from wing to half forward.

5 Likes

Putting to rest the SMack comparisons? Not that l ever thought they were valid.

4 Likes

If he grew some.mutton chops he could play wolverine

1 Like

That long kick in the last from half-back to hit the target streaming forward: no one does it better.

5 Likes

It was class.