Former #17 James Stewart

Literally forgot this guy exists

Have we dropped the ball with these OPs? What is the usual course of treatment? Rest or surgery? Surely Jimmy isn’t happy because with all of our forward line injuries, this year was a big opportunity for him.

Was it the Adelaide game in round 1 last year where he looked like he was set for a breakout year?

Surgery on groins can have some pretty dire outcomes from my understanding. Like ruining them completely and ending careers. It’s not a path you go down unless all else has failed.

3 Likes

Surgery is the last resort with OP, according to an osteo mate of mine. With so many muscles in the groin area, it’s hard to know which is the problem, so it’s a difficult this to treat.

We tried rest for Joe and Jimmy, didn’t work, that’s just bad luck. Hopefully surgery works for both of them.

3 Likes

Admittedly I don’t pay much attention to other clubs’ injury lists, but I thought OP was mostly a solved problem from an AFL point of view after an epidemic about 10 years ago. But now we’ve got two tall forwards missing seasons with it.

Stewart would have been very handy at times this year.

5 Likes

I recall reading somewhere on here that only 5% of OP cases do not come good with rest.
So we now have both Daniher and Stewart in that 5%!!

Have the club officially stated that it’s OP? I mean, it clearly is, but possibly for reasons you stated above, they’ve seemed a bit shy in mentioning it directly.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if a small forward currently has the same issue.

1 Like

That’s kinda why I am surprised they are going for the surgery now. Daniher (or the medical team) didn’t opt for the surgery until 1 and half year after he got diagnosed with OP. Stewart only started having issues with his groin after one VFL game, didn’t he?

I don’t think the club has directly said it but the broadcasters on one of the VFL games had mentioned that the club had confirmed it with them.

It’s not clear when he first started having problems. He certainly missed a chunk, if not all of the pre season, and I don’t recall the club saying anything about why. It seems likely that the Frankston half was a tryout after rest and recuperation, and it was sore again. Similar to Joe.
So he could have had it for quite a while. It could be behind his ordinary 2018 season.

There’s some major complications with OP surgery if it doesn’t work as planned. We are talking lifelong debilitating outcomes. There is no ethical way to shortcut the treatment regime to surgery, especially when non-surgical treatment works in about 95% of cases.

From what I can find, the main cause of the reduction in OP in recent times is limiting weights training for younger players.

I don’t know if that’s true. I’m guessing Daniher showed more signed of improvement earlier than what Stewart has this year.

Possibly. Well, hopefully he’ll recover and get back to his best.

3 Likes

I’m guessing you mean Fantasia who has lacked his usual speed? Walla looks to have lacked that real explosiveness too

Get back to work STEWART

4 Likes

Has the best hair in the club.

RETAIN.

3 Likes

Hopefully this guy doesn’t follow Kommer’s career path - one great season full of promise followed by back to back injuries

1 Like

Didn’t know Jimmy was a skater boy

Anyone see him at the VFL on the weekend? I was watching the game next to a lot of the boys and he was with them but didn’t seem to be included in any conversations with them.seemed a bit on the outer

If Joe was to leave, this guy becomes (potentially, if uninjured) rather important.

12 Likes