Former #30 B. Zerk-Thatcher

Are we too tight for an MRI scan?

You do realize you can’t just walk in and demand an MRI scan, right?

Demand no…

A simple appointment for a professional footballer would suffice though…

2 Likes

We have club doctors that can issue a referral. Surely it’s the prudent approach rather then treating an injury and ‘hoping’ the initial diagnosis was correct.

Interesting. Let’s hope that the corkie hasn’t bled around the tendon which then leads to a subsequent strain. Pretty sure something along those lines happened to one of our players earlier this year?

I’m going to guess that he won’t play this week.

Unless you’re using our own MRI (Blitz crowd funding idea?) some poor sod is bumped further down the list / waiting time every time a footballer needs a preventative/ diagnostic scan.
But of course footballers are more important than actual patients.

3 Likes

Yes but they need to know whether to treat for a corkie (with rest) or for a hammie (with rest)

6 Likes

Yeah, because everyone is treated equally in this country…

2 Likes

Fairly certain almost all AFL footballers get scanned at the Olympic Park medical centre - a facility set up to treat elite athletes. Therefore getting a single scan done is hardly pushing Joe Public into a worse off situation.

2 Likes

But was it his calf goddammit???

This.

Basic logic tells you that there’s no real need to scan now, and we will if needed. … thereby avoiding the cost if it turns out to be not needed, … and also that doing it now, or waiting to see if it’s needed makes zero difference to his healing or wellbeing.

Basic Logic also tells you that we employ professionals that know such things, and also everything else about the player and his condition, whilst 99% of interwebers know almost zero about such things, and absolutely nothing about the player or his condition at all, … but any opportunity not taken to scream at clouds and abuse the club, is an opportunity blitzed, … I mean missed.

1 Like

There are a lot of drawbacks that I can think of to having the scan and knowing.

Just give me a while and I will come back to you…

1 Like

Basic logic says a million dollar sporting organisation shouldn’t be pinching pennies when it comes to injury treatment. Why not be certain with what you’re managing rather than waiting to find out. Certainly doesn’t sound like best practice to me. Basic logic also would suggest the management and treatment of a corkie verses a pulled muscle is not identical in every way.

1 Like

No, basic logic says you avoid a large expenditure if it’s not necessary. when waiting a couple of days to see if it is makes not a jot of difference to the players recovery…

1 Like

I’d say less than 10% of Olympic Park’s patronage is elite athletes.
Source: been there a half dozen times myself

1 Like

That place is pretty high tech too. Tom Browne gets the results 3hrs before the player is scanned.

13 Likes

Large expenditure? At most it would be $500 before any insurance claim. Given this relates to one of our prized assets it’s an extremely small cost to pay given the revenue Essendon generates. Even if it makes only makes one day’s difference in recovery than it has surely paid for itself.

I actually can’t believe I’m having this argument. To see my club not doing everything it possibly can to look after an injured player is highly concerning. If we take short cuts like this in other aspects than I’m hardly surprised we are languishing mid table without a premiership in almost 20 years.

wall

Right back at you.

$500 wow what a massive cost…

Lol, summoning the devils! But really, there is an entire thread dedicated to Adrian Dodoro. These kinds of posts should probably be directed there, where we can rehash the glorious debate.

Although, it is one of the first times I’ve seen strong criticism of Jackets not drafting talls! @is_good_is_don makes some strange arguments, given we know injuries have impacted, that the reason the promising youngsters haven’t got game time is the quality of the existing talls in the side, that we took Gown last year and Zerk the year before, and that he ignores late picks even if they are successful. Also, some talls play at top level until 32 or later, so its not crisis time yet for H&H.

All I’ll say here, is that the length of the Dodoro thread would show that there very much is a debate (i.e you’re wrong! :stuck_out_tongue: )! :rofl:

And once again, you’re confusing correlation (maybe) with causation.

1 Like