Former #39 Patrick Voss - false messiah

It was Damien Gasper. Played 20 odd games for Melbourne in the 90’s. His last AFL game was aged 23 so guessing was around 24 when delisted. Hopefully we give Voss that long!

2 Likes

Well done. You’ve got a good memory.

So, with Tyler’s info, Voss was our 4th best player in the VFL based on votes per game.
1 was Bryan with 13.66 votes per game
2 was Montgomery with 9.37 votes per game - now delisted
3 was Baldwin with 9.16 votes per game - and like Voss, not yet resigned
and after those 3 comes
VOSS with 8.72 votes per game.
Look at in perspective, even some of our rejects in the last few years, like Tom Hird, had better figures than any of our players except for Bryan. So, we either let him develop more in the VFL or look for some better alternative.

Correct. If you are fortunate enough to stay healthy, you play more games. If you play more games, you’re a chance to accumulate more votes over the season.

I’ve won B&F’s that exact way. I was no where near the best player, I just played more games than anyone else.

2 Likes

It’s apparently because he’s not professional enough in some manner or other. It may be that he could be far better than he currently is, but is unlikely to make it because he’s a part of the attitude/culture problem that is in need of weeding out.

The attitude culture problem has been there for years. These young blokes learn from others above them

It’s just easier to de.list the kids rather than the established names

4 Likes

I lost a cricket club B&F because I missed one game
It was one of those “everyone” gets votes. You rock up and get a vote
More runs and wickets than the winner, but he got votes in a game he made 10, took a wicket and a catch…that’s the game I missed. Lost by 1 vote
(We changed it back it back to our 4,3,2,1 after that. 4 being for exceptional performances only 100 or 5fa)

1 Like

The thing with Hunter is he played a rubbish game after getting off the plane then played a good game kicked 4 goals and looked lively and then found out he played injured.

hunter likely will take a full season to get his body right and the risk of giving him AFL games is he will break again like Reid Jones Cox etc. so would keep him in VFL until the secondhalf of year unless banging door down.

Just worry his body may not be able to handle AFL given injury riddled history, and typical dodo pickup.

1 Like

I agree but it’s the degree of playing favourites that I’m concerned about. Davey, Jones and weideman as examples, so far off the pace but still getting games. Voss deserved a game early in the year when he was dominant.

1 Like

I don’t know, but that would seem obvious.

7 Likes

https://x.com/essendonvfl/status/1703572014290845937?s=46

4 Likes

Voss kicked his goals earlier in the season iirc, then he was asked to work on other elements of his game while working up the ground.
Meanwhile, Brad’s rolled out the red carpet for a horribly out of form Weideman and an unfit Stringer, doesn’t send a great message does it.

7 Likes

It will be a fundamental failure in list management if there is not a list spot for this guy next year but there is for Sam Weiderman.

15 Likes

Adds much-needed physicality to the club, he’s only a young bloke too, with plenty of learnings left in him.

2 Likes

And that’s what we will do.

Unless you give credence to the rumour that Scott isn’t particularly fond of him.

There is obviously something going on between Voss and Scott (and the other coaches).

Most coaches have their favourites. But they also have their “anti-favourites” too

2 Likes

Maybe…and hear me out here, he’s just not very good?

He’s an awkward kind of key forward in the sense that he isn’t a good overhead mark, has inconsistent set shot kicking and isn’t overly tall.

Yeah he’s physical and can do ok on the lead, just not sure it translates at AFL level.

4 Likes

9 Likes