Former #39 Patrick Voss - false messiah

I disagree with a lot of what you post, but that’s pretty spot on for mine.

Some players are forced to work much harder/longer just to get a chance.
It’s not just a BDB thing either, been happening for years.

Happening for years and it’s not just EFC related……

Hmmm

Maybe it’s as some players have more to work on than others

Maybe it’s also due to when actual opportunity arises in the specific role said player is looking to fill opens up

Considering the coaches are viewing every training session and have more data from in games (inc running patterns/distances etc) to make their judgements, probably carries more weight than random punters making assessments off seeing the VFL stats or bests.

7 Likes

No one at Essendon has a bigger ■■■■ that Brad and gets away with it

1 Like

I am perfectly happy for Voss to be developed in the VFL for as long as is needed. That’s how the VFL should and needs to be used, and it needs to stop being seen as a bad thing. Him not being gifted games in the AFL side doesn’t mean we don’t want him or need him or that he’ll leg it at seasons end.

Despite what many individuals on here think, we’re all complete outsiders to the club and have no idea why they make most decisions, we have no idea what conversations they are having with Voss, what training or development plans are in place for him, or literally anything else.

I am sure that he will eventually get his turn and look forward to when that day comes along. Although I do worry about the insane unrealistic expectations that some segments of the supporter base have for him at this stage of his career.

6 Likes

Until Voss is completely obliterating defenders in the VFL he shouldn’t be picked. The last thing you’d want is for him to come into the AFL side and feel completely out of his depth.

3 Likes

Agree totally and this looks the approach, as we have a few weeks he could of come in but didn’t.

1 Like

Gifted games? He was in great form and a spot was open in the team. It wouldn’t have been a gift.

1 Like

He’s barely kicked a sausage roll in the last month; he doesn’t deserve to be anywhere near seniors as yet.

Next year will be his year, he’s coming along nicely

2 Likes

His “great form” was debatable. Even Scott said had to consider the opposition, in particular when beating up on a very understrength GWS reserves. But he was def hitting scoreboard regularly.

Then there had to be a clear opportunity for him to play which didn’t eventuate

While Voss' form has caught the eye of the selection committee, Scott has stood firm in not wanting to rush the former [GWS](safari-reader://www.zerohanger.com/afl/teams/gws-giants/)Academy member into the senior side despite Weideman's expected absence.

The Bombers coach confirmed Voss will be in the mix for selection, but a debut in Round 5 may not come to fruition.

“I think he had another five shots at goal today, kicked one. He’ll be in calculations,” Scott said.

"Vossy is doing things really, really well and the trajectory he’s on is a good one. But ideally, we want to bring him in when we feel like he can fit into our side and stay there.

“Right at the moment he’s just for a couple of little things that we want to work through, but he’s doing all the right things and he’s just got to keep holding up his end of the bargain and be ready when he’s opportunity comes, because we really want him to take it.”

That was the one game where possibility of Voss playing came up

In the end IIRC we stuck with Langford forward (who’d switched fwd when Weideman went off concussed in previous game)

And frankly Langford playing forward has been excellent for us so there wasn’t a clear opportunity for Voss to play.

It’s also clear coaches have him working on aspects of his game and that they want him to eventually establish himself in the side. So any notion he isn’t rated by Scott on basis wasn’t picked for one game where there wasn’t really opportunity is ridiculous.

Seems they are pushing Voss up the ground more in VFL now to expand his fwd craft and at the moment not being as involved (not helped when midfield is so undermanned)

3 Likes

he kicked 3 a couple of weeks ago.
had 3 shots on goal last week.

Is it “shots on goal”, or “shots at goal”.

Genuine query.

bullshit he was out performing weid and jones, its bullshit favouritism for the status quo

1 Like

Nothing to do with favouritism

In part comes via what is viewed over course of preseason and at training

BDB spoke about our fwd options and noted Voss had shown some signs but certainly wasn’t a standout

https://www.afl.com.au/news/876048/plan-of-attack-the-good-problem-facing-essendon-coach-brad-scott-as-he-mulls-forward-line-options/amp

Menzie was a standout for example and gained his opportunity from rd1, wasnt about maintaining status quo with him.

A player kicking goals at VFL level where far more space against far lesser defenders does not reflect out performing those at AFL level.

Especially if within the system we are playing want genuine tall targets who are able to take contested marks and bring ball to ground. And those who understand how to play such and reset continually etc

Those who just want to think Voss is hard done by and Scott playing favourites is just plain wrong

If Langford wasn’t now playing fwd as a 3rd tall type right now Voss would be getting a go IMO

I’m excited to see Voss get his chance when he does, when the coaches see fit and opportunity is there for him to do so. He’s only 19, plenty of years ahead of him.

7 Likes

I think Voss and Hunter will form a very good duo in the twos

5 Likes

the obvious rebuttel to that is, stick davey in the vfl, tell him to hit the right running patterns, and do what’s asked of him, and then see what sort of output he has on gameday.

tis all well and good to say he’s gotta do the harry jones “righ to the right spots” and do all the magical non quantifiable stuff that magically exists somewhere in the nether realm.
but look at the predicament he’s in as a whole.

as a small example take last weekend, he along side tex were the only afl listed players in the forwardline.
There were no afl listed (ok technically narkle is now) midfielders, and people and coaches seemingly want to judge a kid on his “running patterns” .

at the end of the day, you’ve had half a year now to try some new things in relation to discovering if you actually have a decent player in voss there. instead of giving him a go they’ve gone out and recruited a guy to potentially replace him, but is he going to hit all his perceived markers and running patterns before getting a gig ? he might not even get one now that wright is back.

but i’m curious, do people actually want to go into next season, without having any ■■■■■■■ idea what voss can do, or how much he can or doesn’t offer ?

if wright goes down again next year, do you want to be spending next year (if voss is still here) that time finding out if he’s anywhere near it ? when you could have tried this year and figured out if he can play or how far he needs to get to be a viable option as a walk in replacement.

as it stands, we could potentially be going into next year, with or without voss who hasn’t played a game, Maybe the WA kid not having played a game, and a somewhat cooked jones as the only cover for forward stocks ?

4 Likes

You could probably say that about past coaches but a bit hard to make that determination on BDB so early into his tenure.

One thing I’d say about Vossie being held back is, under Truck he’d have gotten a full debut by now. Rutten was more prepared to bring young 'uns through and get AFL games in … at times when not quite ready. I thought on that score Ben did OK.

And when you think Duzza, Nic Martin, Cox, Harry, Bryan, Tex and Voss who even got a sub gig last year I seem to recall … not too shabby.

I respect BDBs approach and his insistence on they being ready to go for new recruits. Which Voss is clearly being worked on to be just that. ADJ on the other hand has been given the inside track … and so far seems right call too.

But you cannot argue that Truck wasn’t (apart from McDonagh who was never at the required level) prepared to give 'em a go and throw them in at least for a game or two. A number of those above turned up trumps and look at them now. Most have thrived apart from those cpuple who’ve been hit by long term injuries. So I sort of hope Voss gets a look in before seasons ends, even if he’s not kicking 4-5 majors per week in the VFL… just to give him a taste.

I reckon he’d give it 200% if given a shot.

Just sayin…

5 Likes

Didn’t Melbourne have the same issue with JVR last year. Supporters were all saying for to bring him in and they resisted until a few rounds in. As long as the coaches are managing expectations with Voss then I am sure he will be fine and continue to develop in the VFL and possibly get some late games this year in the seniors.

There is the risk he gets poached ala Jenkins but let’s deal with that at the time

1 Like

How does someone in the reserves (against poor opposition in at at least one game) “outperform” other players who were playing in the seniors?

doing anyhting with success is better than being the witches cone jones was, or the disaster weid is.

1 Like