Former #39 Patrick Voss - false messiah

Pat Voss

17 disposals, six marks

‘Vossy’ had about seven or eight ‘AFL-like’ moments in the game that he’s been learning off training with Peter Wright and Sam Weideman, so seeing that transfer from the training track into games is really exciting. He didn’t quite finish off his work, but the pleasing thing was that he looked strong and played exactly how we wanted him to.

21 Likes

If he can’t get games based on VFL performances, how do you propose he proves his worth?
Does he need to run through Weideman, Stringer or Langford at training to open a spot?

Just seemed logical to give him a crack when Wright and Jones (who was underwhelming when playing) were out.

1 Like

Does anyone know where to find players VFL games records?

Would be interesting to see how many VFL games these guys played:

Langford
Redman
Parish
Ridley
Laverde

Might put a bit of perspective on development through the VFL. Might not.

Sure it seems to the fans to be logical however we have restricted knowledge of what the coaches see or want to see or how they think team balance is created by the players they pick.

At the end of the day the coaches pick the players not the fan based logic.

VFL Games
Langford 34; Redman 42; Parish 3; Ridley 42; Laverde 30; Voss 21

16 Likes

How many games before those guys debuted though?
parish 0
Redman 6 (debuted round 7 2016)
Ridley (round 9 2018) so 1 1/2 seasons of VFL
Laverde (round 15 2015) so in his first year
Langford 4 (Debut round 5 2015)

He probably does line up more with Ridley and LAV as they are more KPP players - so 1-1 1/2 seasons if they are any good.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree that he ought to get a look in, and I am a bit surprised that he hasn’t since Jones went out. What I am disagreeing with is the notion that a good game in the 2s is automatically better than an average one in the seniors. Whether you like to accept it or not, both Weed and Jones have shown they can play at senior level, which kind of puts them at the front of the queue. I don’t disagree that Jones has not come on as we hoped sice 2021, but the coaches seemed to think he was contributing this year until.

2 Likes

Hes finished at Essendon

2 Likes

Can you finish before you start?

4 Likes

I think all of Langford, Redman, Ridley and Lav would have played senior games in their first season.

all but Ridley

Ahh, yes, Ridley in the VFL.

Remember when we tried playing one of the best intercept defenders in the AFL as a wingman in the VFL?

1 Like

But did they came through and get senior games when we had our players banned?

Maybe you could argue that with Redman - 2016 debut.
But LAV and Langford both debuted in 2015
and Parish being a top 5 pick was likely to be debut early anyway.

The only legal “developed in the twos” comparison on blitz is Gary O’Donnell, who played 281 games in the twos and didn’t debut until he was 37.

4 Likes

What defines an ‘AFL-like’ moment I wonder?

Definitely spells out they have him on an apprenticeship though, there are clearly some deficiencies in his game internally they are working on. My hope is that Pat is fully aware of it all and is working on becoming an ‘AFL-like’ player and will get his shot at it.

As opposed to being annoyed for not being selected yet, which is an easy summary to make externally.

1 Like

Voss has a rugby background and doesn’t have the same afl junior development as players like Redman and Parish. It isn’t like for like.

I see Voss as similar to Draper, a high upside project who has a few things to work on. Draper also took a while before he was ready to debut (I’m classing the week after he did his acl as his debut as he was 2 min off being rested for selection the following week).

I’d far prefer a solid development period than setting someone up to fail like we did with Baldwin at the start of last year.

5 Likes

I don’t want VOSS to come in and stay in, but just want him to get a taste.
Would have been beneficial last year, Baldwin and VOSS both had form at the back end of 22, yet we played Zach Reid after a half forward in the VFL ahead of them. Plus Hurley’s farewell which he deserved. But yeh didn’t see point of gifting a game to reid at the time who is earmarked as a defender.

Anyway, good to see Cox has to play another VFL match this week.

1 Like

Ofcourse he knows what he has to work on. That’s why we have 3 development coaches.

I would assume it’s running patterns, competing in the air and 2nd and 3rd efforts, working up and back etc. Kicking goals is just the by product of the effort.

He is getting better with this and he will get rewarded when his AFL habits become more consistent as this will enable him to stay in the AFL and not just go in and out of the team

1 Like

go look at the VFL Thread from last week.