Former #4 Jobe Watson

Which will be the next thread consumed by saga sycophants?

I know I’m being a weak pr*ck, but it’s gonna fkn kill me having a champion of the game, and a champion bloke boo’ed incessantly next season.

Anyone with a few functioning brain cells knows that Jobe deserves that Brownlow.
Even IF Dank stuffed up (and that’s a big IF), and accidentally gave Jobe a minuscule amount of TB4, which Jobe didn’t know about obviously, does anyone in football honestly believe that he was advantaged to a point that it was the difference in winning the Medal ?..FFS

I’ve gotta seek out YT and do some MMA training, coz I reckon I’m due for a fight or 2 at the footy next season.
If I attend games, it’s inevitable !

'Is there a part of you that feels for Jobe today?'

Mitchell - ‘I’m going to leave that’

What a ungracious ■■■■. Hope someone breaks his jaw next year. Turd of a bloke

What is poor Sam supposed to say?

“It wasn’t really a fair season in 2012, we didn’t get to play Essendon until round 18 so I didn’t get a chance to give him a corky until he had basically already won the medal votes, and with those thighs, how am I supposed to give him a proper corky anyway, totally unfair. Mind you it was nice of the umpires to give me 2 votes for the game and Jobe none considering he got 8 more disposals than I did.”

Only in AFL fairy land could we have a situation where Jobe ‘hands back’ the Brownlow, but doesn’t actually hand it back.

Only in AFL fairy land could we have a situation where Jobe 'hands back' the Brownlow, but doesn't actually hand it back.

I’ll go to my grave knowing James isn’t getting paid for his year off.

FFS

Sam Mitchell and Trent Cotchin have their 2012 Brownlow Medals. Jobe, it’s time to hand yours back

Sam McClure

Tuesday’s Brownlow Medal ceremony was well handled with two truly wonderful footballers anointed as the new medallists for 2012. It brings closure to a delicate issue. Or does it?

There remains one distinctly awkward and uncomfortable aspect: where is Jobe Watson’s medal?

The AFL doesn’t have it.

Essendon say they don’t want to know where it is.

Why the mystery? This is a situation that could have quickly and simply been resolved.

Some of the biggest figures in the AFL — including chief executive Gillon McLachlan — say they can’t understand why the whereabouts of the original medal is an issue.

In fact, the AFL is adamant that the location of the medal is of no interest to it.

Early last month, Watson made the AFL Commission’s decision a lot easier, when he released a statement relinquishing the medal – a response to the 12-month ban handed to 34 past and present Essendon players who participated in the 2012 supplements saga.

In the November statement, he said: “It is with mixed emotions that I have decided to hand back my 2012 Brownlow Medal.”

That’s pretty specific. Yet that has not happened.

The medal has not been handed back, nor has there been a request for it to be returned.

The national empathy and compassion afforded Watson is completely justified.

He has been the face of the playing group that has been at the centre of the biggest doping scandal in Australian sport.

He has displayed tremendous leadership and courage during a time when many have shown ineptitude and spinelessness.

The fact that Watson has been stripped of the greatest individual honour in football is a blight on the people and the football club that allowed it to happen.

Stephen Dank, James Hird, Dean Robinson and others should never get over the fact that their irresponsible and abhorrent behaviour has not only irreparably damaged the lives of 34 young men, but it has also robbed a club legend of his Brownlow.

But the fact remains – he is now no longer a Brownlow medallist and as such he should no longer be in possession of the medal itself.

It would appear that the belief at AFL headquarters is that for them to ask for it back — given what Watson has been through — would be heartless.

But after Watson decided – in his own words – to “hand it back” and the commission unanimously voted to give medals to runners-up Sam Mitchell and Trent Cotchin, the medal should have been returned.

The fact that there are now three 2012 Brownlow Medals in circulation is a testament to the sheer absurdity of the situation.

If anything, Watson’s ongoing possession of the medal only adds lingering discomfort to the scandal.

While the AFL, under McLachlan, is understandably sympathetic to Watson’s situation, there is still lingering resentment from some people at Essendon that the botched joint investigation between the AFL and ASADA backed the players into a corner.

The AFL Tribunal then found there was not enough evidence to prove that the 34 players were injected with the banned drug thymosin Beta-4, which was overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport after WADA intervened.

It goes without saying that these players have been to hell and back.

The view is that the players have been through more than enough. To actually ask Watson to give the medal back would be cruel.

Nevertheless, the history books will show that the winners of the 2012 Brownlow Medal were Mitchell and Cotchin, not Watson.

For the absolute integrity of the game, that should be reflected in the number of players who have the medal in their possession.

FFS

I just can’t take sam macclure seriously. looks like a 5 year old in a suit.

FFS

Sam Mitchell and Trent Cotchin have their 2012 Brownlow Medals. Jobe, it’s time to hand yours back

Sam McClure

Tuesday’s Brownlow Medal ceremony was well handled with two truly wonderful footballers anointed as the new medallists for 2012. It brings closure to a delicate issue. Or does it?

There remains one distinctly awkward and uncomfortable aspect: where is Jobe Watson’s medal?

The AFL doesn’t have it.

Essendon say they don’t want to know where it is.

Why the mystery? This is a situation that could have quickly and simply been resolved.

Some of the biggest figures in the AFL — including chief executive Gillon McLachlan — say they can’t understand why the whereabouts of the original medal is an issue.

In fact, the AFL is adamant that the location of the medal is of no interest to it.

Early last month, Watson made the AFL Commission’s decision a lot easier, when he released a statement relinquishing the medal – a response to the 12-month ban handed to 34 past and present Essendon players who participated in the 2012 supplements saga.

In the November statement, he said: “It is with mixed emotions that I have decided to hand back my 2012 Brownlow Medal.”

That’s pretty specific. Yet that has not happened.

The medal has not been handed back, nor has there been a request for it to be returned.

The national empathy and compassion afforded Watson is completely justified.

He has been the face of the playing group that has been at the centre of the biggest doping scandal in Australian sport.

He has displayed tremendous leadership and courage during a time when many have shown ineptitude and spinelessness.

The fact that Watson has been stripped of the greatest individual honour in football is a blight on the people and the football club that allowed it to happen.

Stephen Dank, James Hird, Dean Robinson and others should never get over the fact that their irresponsible and abhorrent behaviour has not only irreparably damaged the lives of 34 young men, but it has also robbed a club legend of his Brownlow.

But the fact remains – he is now no longer a Brownlow medallist and as such he should no longer be in possession of the medal itself.

It would appear that the belief at AFL headquarters is that for them to ask for it back — given what Watson has been through — would be heartless.

But after Watson decided – in his own words – to “hand it back” and the commission unanimously voted to give medals to runners-up Sam Mitchell and Trent Cotchin, the medal should have been returned.

The fact that there are now three 2012 Brownlow Medals in circulation is a testament to the sheer absurdity of the situation.

If anything, Watson’s ongoing possession of the medal only adds lingering discomfort to the scandal.

While the AFL, under McLachlan, is understandably sympathetic to Watson’s situation, there is still lingering resentment from some people at Essendon that the botched joint investigation between the AFL and ASADA backed the players into a corner.

The AFL Tribunal then found there was not enough evidence to prove that the 34 players were injected with the banned drug thymosin Beta-4, which was overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport after WADA intervened.

It goes without saying that these players have been to hell and back.

The view is that the players have been through more than enough. To actually ask Watson to give the medal back would be cruel.

Nevertheless, the history books will show that the winners of the 2012 Brownlow Medal were Mitchell and Cotchin, not Watson.

For the absolute integrity of the game, that should be reflected in the number of players who have the medal in their possession.

FFS

Get your hand off it.

Oh I thought all the talk about handing back the actual physical medal was a joke. Apparently some people believe having it in your possession makes you a Brownlow medalist.

Soulnet said it best: FFS.

Really need a “Thread For Outrage”, where crap, waste of pixels articles such as that can all be posted, allowing those that like to feel anger & angst, the chance to go off their nuts at it, & letting those that don’t give a stuff what the leeches have to say, to keep the blissful ignorance undisturbed.

Cue 40 posts of varying degrees of vitriole …

Sam McClure needs to hand back his pen licence.

I saw Sam in the toilets at twilight open training. some bloke in there said he was a ■■■■ journo and he ■■■■ himself and scurried out

When Caro isn’t even prepared to write rubbish like this, there’s got to be someone even lower…and that’s Sam McLure.

Was he the one who gets 95% of his rumours wrong?

no offence, but why would you post that article?

Isn’t he the ■■■■■■ they refer to as SCOOP?

Isn't he the ■■■■■■ they refer to as SCOOP?

Because he scoops up pure excrement.

“I got your brownlow right here” - Jobe Watson

no offence, but why would you post that article?

Last time I looked we generally post articles positive or not to have a discussion. Sure it’s not a good article but it saved all of you finding out it existed and be tempted to click on it (as I did).

Isn't he the ■■■■■■ they refer to as SCOOP?

Because he scoops up pure excrement.

Yup. Short for Pooper Scooper.

That would be you.