Former #4 Jobe Watson

A couple of years ago I started a post in which I posed the question of who was the better Watson - Jobe or his dad Tim.

The consensus then which I tended to agree with was that Tim was better. Now I'm not so sure. What do you think?

I don't know anything about Tim as a player, I'm too young, but I think the general consensus is that people still scoff at the question because Jobe hasn't shown it for long enough... only because he hasn't finished his career. If he has another terrific 2-3 years before being a solid player (resting forward etc) for 1 or 2 more in the twilight of his career (hopefully with a flag[s] along the way) then when he pulls up stumps the question may be a bit tougher. 

That's just what I gathered from peoples responses.

Commentators during are game are told to pump up the team behind, so people won’t think the game is over and switch channels. Though there is no doubt some commentators don’t really like us and allow their bias to shine through.

I have no doubt the afl give a directive to commentators not to go too hard on umpires. Rarely will you hear them really get stuck into an umpire for a terrible mistake.

In the end Jove is one of the best players in the game, if commentators don’t wont to acknowledge that, just shows how petty they are

Can play. Can lead a team too. Eesential to the team.

A couple of years ago I started a post in which I posed the question of who was the better Watson - Jobe or his dad Tim.

The consensus then which I tended to agree with was that Tim was better. Now I'm not so sure. What do you think?

I'd say that Jobe is more consistent. That doesn't make him necessarily the "better" player (such comparisons are always flawed), but might explain why Jobe has a Brownlow.

• Just like Gary Ablett Junior, I think Jobe Watson will end up the better player....Once jobe became professional he has been awesome, numerous B&F and Brownlow, awesome captain, just needs to add a flag. If he can get to 300 games would be awesome too.
  • On top of that I Also think Jobe would end up a better coach / commentator/boundary rider than tim as well.
  • Id love Ablett to go back to the cats once his 5 year contract is up.

However If Jobe retired today it would probably be advantage tim Watson just on 174 games versus 300 games.

Jobe needs to get to at least 250 games. that's 3 more years, Ideally he keeps playing until Dustins son is drafted.

And then jobe needs to get to work on getting some sons.

I'd say that Jobe is more consistent. That doesn't make him necessarily the "better" player (such comparisons are always flawed), but might explain why Jobe has a Brownlow.
Tim = one of the best in three premiership sides. Let's hope his boy matches that.

Don't forget Tim played with some pretty decent players who would have earned a few Brownlow votes. Also in those days there was less emphasis on the midfield. Back pocket players were even able to earn a vote then.

Don't forget Tim played with some pretty decent players who would have earned a few Brownlow votes. Also in those days there was less emphasis on the midfield. Back pocket players were even able to earn a vote then.
Three flags or one brownlow? I know what I'd choose.

I don't know anything about Tim as a player, I'm too young, but I think the general consensus is that people still scoff at the question because Jobe hasn't shown it for long enough... only because he hasn't finished his career. If he has another terrific 2-3 years before being a solid player (resting forward etc) for 1 or 2 more in the twilight of his career (hopefully with a flag[s] along the way) then when he pulls up stumps the question may be a bit tougher. 

That's just what I gathered from peoples responses.

tim was my favourite player from the 80s and would be for most kids growing up in that era. freckles my teddy had a 32 jumper. he was like jobe off field (not freckles, tim) in that he had an up beat personality and was genuine with people. tim was classier and quicker than jobe and puffed his cheeks like a bullfrog when on the run. They were both quick thinkers and tim didn't have the capacity to spew 20 litres of blue powerade. They both should be brownlow medalists.

If the afl ever scrap father/son it would be a travesty. our club has benefitted more than most. 

Three flags or one brownlow? I know what I'd choose.

Pretty sure Tim wouldn't have any regrets. Just saying I find it impossible and frustrating to compare players of different eras. If they're great players, they're great players regardless of when they played.

Tim was a great player for more than 10 years, with vote-getting performances (in my book) in 2 grand finals. Jobe's up to about 5 years.

And in my opinion, Tim was robbed of the 1989 Brownlow. Umpires didn't start giving him votes until he had about 15 in most media awards.

Brownlow......Pffft.

Footy to me is all about winning the premiership. It is a TEAM sport.

How good a player is (or has been) is about their contribution to their team, in the endeavour to win the flag!

by the way, have a look at who picks the Brownlow............... do you trust them to get it right?

And in my opinion, Tim was robbed of the 1989 Brownlow. Umpires didn't start giving him votes until he had about 15 in most media awards.

Thought that 1980 was Tim's year for the brownlow. People need to understand that Tim had two outstanding qualites better than Jobe - Tim was seriously quick and is a better kick. Can say that Jobe is a better accumulator. Tim is the best player I have seen in Essendon colors.

Thought that 1980 was Tim's year for the brownlow. People need to understand that Tim had two outstanding qualites better than Jobe - Tim was seriously quick and is a better kick. Can say that Jobe is a better accumulator. Tim is the best player I have seen in Essendon colors.

I said 1989 and I meant 1989. He ran high in 1980, but behind Merv Neagle, and I don't recall if he was in the favourites or not.

• Just like Gary Ablett Junior, I think Jobe Watson will end up the better player....Once jobe became professional he has been awesome, numerous B&F and Brownlow, awesome captain, just needs to add a flag. If he can get to 300 games would be awesome too.
  • On top of that I Also think Jobe would end up a better coach / commentator/boundary rider than tim as well.
  • Id love Ablett to go back to the cats once his 5 year contract is up.
However If Jobe retired today it would probably be advantage tim Watson just on 174 games versus 300 games.
Jobe needs to get to at least 250 games. that's 3 more years, Ideally he keeps playing until Dustins son is drafted.
And then jobe needs to get to work on getting some sons.
I was thinking about the fact that Ken Fletcher played with Tim, who played with Dustin, who played with Jobe, who may well play with one of Dustin's boys, even if it ends there that would be pretty amazing.

I like this idea that you get to choose between a Brownlow and a Premiership.

Bobby Skilton was a selfish ■■■■■■■.

Tim is better because he gave us 307 games, , 4 b&fs, 3 premiership and Jobe Watson. Until Jobe gives us a son as good as dad then he will always be lacking.

Tim is better because he gave us 307 games, , 4 b&fs, 3 premiership and Jobe Watson. Until Jobe gives us a son as good as dad then he will always be lacking.

Best argument yet.