Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

Sorry young defenders, we’ve got a ageing, slow player bordering on retirement still playing ok football so you’re going to have to fk off to the vfl or find another AFL club.

15 Likes

Sorry young defenders, bust a gut, earn your spot by banging down the door and make the decision a no brainer.

4 Likes

which francis has done? but yeah whatever.

1 Like

Not for mine mate. I’m not against him getting a game because I’m interested to see how he goes. Banging the door down? No way.

1 Like

I think the last time Goddard appeared on the GPS Tracker leaderboard was the Brisbane match, just prior to the bye…I think his endurance must still be very good, and he covers a lot more kms than the kids can…it’s just the acceleration and leap that isn’t there any more.

Agility & change of direction at speed.

l would like to see what he can produce after a rest. People saying he is cooked now, but it could be he is just in need of a freshening up.

3 Likes

One thing that surprised me about BJ was his height. He may have dropped a yard in pace and may not leap over tall buildings any more, but he’s still 1.93 metres tall - key position size. He must be an amazing athlete as well, to carry his 94 kg over the distances he runs each game. A very hard player to match up on and an equally valuable run-with player for us, on both talls and smalls. He’s a full-on, passionate, committed warrior for the club with enormous experience and a great footy brain who leaves it all out on the park every week, still averaging 24 possessions a game. He is also a fantastic role model for our younger players, a very decent human being and family man away from footy and a wonderful, articulate ambassador for the club. Riddles and Francis, while maybe a little frustrated, are very fortunate to have this bloke as a resource and an educator to learn from. This will fast track their development for their future careers. For me, BJ has to play on in 2019!

17 Likes

Of course it’s an unknown. How will it be known unless you actually play someone else?

8 Likes

Time to move on BJ, we arent gonna win the flag next year so take Myers with you

1 Like

I’d give him 1 more year. Still plays good footy most weeks. He’ll be rested a few times which he will hate but contribute a fair bit to our team with his experience.

2 Likes

The biggest issue is if he plays on, do the coaching staff have the guts to drop him if his form drops and will he be ok with playing VFL at stages if that eventuates.

I have no faith in the answer being yes to either of those.

Retire will you are still playing some decent footy. We are not going to win the flag this year or next so there is no point in the club asking him to go on. Hard calls need to be made

Give him a coaching role for next year by all means.

4 Likes

We’d be a chance.
Perhaps even a good chance.

4 Likes
1 Like

Simulation?

1 Like

Agree
look at the Blues
you just cant have mostly kids in the team
you need a nucleus of mature bodies

1 Like

Definitely another year. And then I’d sign him for three more as the EFC VFL captain-coach.

1 Like

And I think for any player that wants to play on and has that narrative start halfway through the year, it sucks a lot of the enjoyment out of what is the twilight of your career where you should really be enjoying it,” Riewoldt said.

Good point, Nick. Just another way our nasty media operates. Sack, retire, fall on sword - why the negative spiteful angle all the farking time?

4 Likes

I think he should go around again. But with some caveats.

Long layoff over summer, a slow build up to the year and missing all of the preseason games and be easy for about round 3-4. Then I’d be giving him a 1 in 4 off.

He is too valuable around the club to let go somewhere else, he has indicated he wants to go on. He does need to do shitload of yoga over the break so he can increase his flexibility and be able to pick a ground ball up again.

The problem I see is the $. Why wouldnt Carlton offer him 1+1 and coaching to come help them develop their list. They could throw some serious cash his way. I wouldn’t begrudge him for taking it either.

4 Likes

If he doesnt/ didnt like it, why listen to it?