Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

Man, that video. I was tearing the second he was.

1 Like

I was a massive Goddard fan when he was at Stkilda. When he came to Essendon I was extatic.

When he arrived he delivered on the field beyond my wildest expectations. He won the B&F in his first year and set the standard for years to come.

But as a supporter what I admire and am most greatful for is what he did through all the saga crap. He was a spokesperson, a calming influence, a person who backed people in a situation he had nothing to do with but bore the full extent of the ramifications. He did so with the great honour.

And in its darkest time in 2016 he stood up and lead us achieve beyond any bodies expectation. Nobody thought we would win a game. But most of all he took it on himself to lead and set the foundation for our success ahead.

For all that I will be truly great full for BJs impact on the club. And I truly hope he can find the ultimate success in whatever his next life pursuit is. He is a great man!

But do believe this is the right decision by the club. I just hope the club can be as helpful for him in his post football career as he was to the club during his football career.

33 Likes

Can only admire the bloke for what he walked into and how he handled it. Aside from the obvious class football, we got him across for his leadership and he delivered both in spades.

Thanks BJ, and best of luck.

5 Likes

52 Likes

I am not sure he would be best 22 every week next year, he was clearly injured v Tigers, but probably knew he had to prove he could go on.

Depending on what else we do with the list I reserve judgement. For example if we keep Jackson Merrett but let BJ go, I will not be happy.

Unless he wasnt willing to play every week and take a back seat to the youth then I think we could have left him on the list for next year. No games guaranteed.

When we line up for the first final next year, we will want him in our camp either as a coach or player.

Good luck BJ, I loved your aggression and approach to the game, the passion you bought to the footy club and for sticking around in the biggest sht fkn storm of all time. You are a always a bomber to me.

4 Likes

You have to factor in salary.

If Goodard would play on for $800k is a different prposition to $200k if tgat $600k gets us over the line for Gaff.

Hearing very positive news that goddard leaving will free up a lot of salary cap space.
We are going hard for beams and sheil
friends become enemies and enemies become friends
watch this space.

If you end up another Cerberus your going to get punched in the ■■■■ hard.

Shiel literally lives on the corner of my street I see him every day. @Reboot and I are both aware that it’s very doubtful he is moving anywhere.

He did just get a new Lexus 4WD, so hang on maybe he is spending those Goddard $$ already…

Surely BJ was on fark all cash the last season or two?

Then again if it tipped us into the green to land 1-2 big fish, happy days

1 Like

I think Hooker’s speech captured my thoughts. Never complained once about the saga. He brought real leadership and that will be missed. Up to the next generation to follow his example.

10 Likes

Why would he be?

He wasn’t.

Well said, if we do eventually achieve the ultimate, he deserves to share in it as much as the returning players. Hope we find a position for him.

And for the record I 100% supported each and everyone of his outbursts, I wish we had more players with his attitude.

We had our moments this year but no matter how angry I’ve gotten at him on match day threads I’m very grateful for the past 6 years.

22 Likes

That was brutal to watch. :frowning:

3 Likes

Where’s that ignore feature again? There’s been a couple of pretty obvious ■■■■■ in here today who need putting into the cannon, never to reappear.
The splinters at the bottom of the barrel and a scourge on this forum!

9 Likes

Words can describe what he has done for the club. Cruel that one of the greatest team players ever didn’t walk away witha flag. Sounds like he has been a tremendous source of support for the players while all the ■■■■ going on.

The right call i think and his dogged determination to believe in himself and.prove people wrong is part of what has made him great.

Hope je gets a gig somewhere next year if thats what he wants. He’d add a lot to a club in a hodge type role.

An essendon great.

2 Likes

Thanks for everything BJ.

Fully embraced the club and his teammates from the first day he walked through the door.

A magnificent player who I think really pioneered the utility/quarterback position in modern football.

I’ll be forever thankful that he came to the club and he’ll be sorely missed.

5 Likes

Just watched the vid and saw Hurl’s twitter post.

It just goes to show how much we don’t know what really goes on inside the club. I always had the impression that he p1ssed his teammates off - especially Hurls and Hepp. But of course - I was wrong.

I’ve loved BJ being at the club. His balls during the saga and beyond cemented him as the ultimate clubman for me. His passion on field always had me in two minds / is it good for the players that he is so animated versus he sets the standard and anything less is why we’ve been so shiiiiiiit for years.

I met him at the first Crichton he attended and halfway through the vote I congratulated him on being the Crichton medallist that year. He was very gratuitous that night with his time - he walked around the entire room - even to us plebs in the back tables and talked with us and posed for endless photos and was genuinely humble and excited at what the future looked like.

“I’m here to win premierships” was what he told the room that night. Unfortunately, he would have most likely achieved that goal had it not been for the fact we employed an over zealous sports scientist in a time when the majority of club’s departments weren’t professional enough to handle them.

The resolve he showed during those awful years and the fact he never ever complained or took pity on himself shows the man he is. From the outside, he comes across as the most competitive beast I have watched and I will be forever grateful to him for the level of determination and professionalism he reinstated into the club that yields the run of glory we are destined to have in the not so distant future.

Thanks for everything BJ

52 Likes

I reckon the reason this was announced today was because finals were officially off the cards after the weekend. Would have been dumb to make a call on his career and announce it if we were to make finals and possibly go deep.

Anyway, he’s a top bloke and a great Bombers player and I’ll gladly buy him a beer if I ever get the chance.

I’ll cheer him on at any other club too, all the best BJ.

7 Likes

Great post.