Free the indigenous flag

Misgivings is a nice term for it.

There are plenty of peak bodies. I don’t pretend to have a best pathway. Have heard donations, land sales, change flag to unite all Australians, burn it down. Its a tough one when you’re trying to find a united voice across hundreds of nations.

You mean to tell me a barely researched, one sentence solution by a very uneducated white person on the internet hasn’t solved the problem?

:wink:

1 Like

There’s probably some great opportunities if played right - social ventures, non profits, peaks.

I can’t see a unify end to it though.

I proffered one earlier.

Funds should be raised (GFM + Com funds maybe $ for $) so the rights can be purchased by the Indigenous community, (Aboriginal Council??) so they can then use all profits from rights deals to help fund projects for THEIR Community.

Simples.

1 Like

I heard Michael Long talk about it leading up to the Dreamtime game and the figure of $20m to buy the rights were mentioned.
I wouldn’t have a problem with the government shelling out that much for something so meaningful considering all the other crap stuff they waste money on

And which of the hundreds of clan groups gets to head the council, sit on the council and direct funds?

I’m not sure you comprehend the amazing diverseness of THEIR community.

You’ve not heard of these things called elections then??

I don’t want to do this with you.

Let’s just say it “could” be done, but there are some massive hurdles to jump.

Not simple.

Been done.

1972 – National Aboriginal Consultative Committee

In 1972 the Whitlam government introduced the first national body elected by Aboriginal people the National Aboriginal Consultative Committee (NACC) whose main role was advisory only. Australia was divided up into 36 regions and 36 Aboriginal people were elected by their own people to be the Voice to Parliament.

And in many many guises since*. But if the Libs hadn’t undermined then killed off the Original Gough helped set up,… it would probably still be rolling today, and moved on from “Advisory” (though that would still be part of it) and into Control of Affairs relating to things such as this.

*See here
https://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/selfdetermination/aboriginal-representative-bodies#:~:text=In%201972%20the%20Whitlam%20government,be%20the%20Voice%20to%20Parliament.

Does that scream simple to you?

It does actually.

But just because the solution is doesn’t mean the Politics would be, … especially with the Lieberals in power.

1 Like

https://www.welcometocountry.org/aboriginal-flag-history/

Great article. Also has this interesting line and if true I think answers what might be appropriate.

He(Thomas) also felt the government was still not truly aware of the importance and the significance that the Aboriginal flag created for Aboriginal people.

I would be with Nova Peris on this one.

i’m betting if one suggest that they simply create a new flag, one that isn’t owned by one person and can be sold or copyrighted, the left would come out screaming racism from every hilltop they could get on.

But every australia day it’s, oh we have to change the flag, we have to change the flag, despite to some it does hold meaning to them, good and bad it’s what they’ve grown up with.

you’ll never unite 100% of any nation. division and extremism are to valuable a weapons to give up from all sides.

What a load of ■■■■

2 Likes