Game of Thrones TV show mega thread

I'm find Dany's parts to be like that of episodes based mostly around Lisa Simpson's. Lot of "I'm trying to save the world and humanity" but ultimately very boring and predictable.

Can they hurry along with it a bit?

People are up in arms about a post book five spoiler...

I'm finding this constant checking in with characters for five minutes then going off to the next lot a bit tedious. The Walking Dead was doing it better with whole episodes at a time devoted to a bunch of characters.

I'm sort of getting a bit that way too. Half and half it maybe. An hour of Dany walking through the desert might get a bit boring but interchanging it with Kings Landing every 15 minutes or so would be OK. And then next episode focus on Arya and the wall or something. But I guess everyone's story line is a bit dull at the moment so devoting entire episodes to one or two stories might be even worse which is what happened to The Walking Dead.

I'm find Dany's parts to be like that of episodes based mostly around Lisa Simpson's. Lot of "I'm trying to save the world and humanity" but ultimately very boring and predictable.

Try reading it.

Zzzzzzzz 

I'm finding this constant checking in with characters for five minutes then going off to the next lot a bit tedious. The Walking Dead was doing it better with whole episodes at a time devoted to a bunch of characters.

I'm sort of getting a bit that way too. Half and half it maybe. An hour of Dany walking through the desert might get a bit boring but interchanging it with Kings Landing every 15 minutes or so would be OK. And then next episode focus on Arya and the wall or something. But I guess everyone's story line is a bit dull at the moment so devoting entire episodes to one or two stories might be even worse which is what happened to The Walking Dead.

I quite enjoyed having just 1 or 2 story lines in The Walking Dead.

I enjoyed GOT books because each chapter was dedicated to one character (yes, some were a snooze fest)  however you got to know the character/s, in the TV show, you never really get much depth to characters, apart from a few.

But each to their own.

I enjoyed GOT books because each chapter was dedicated to one character (yes, some were a snooze fest)  however you got to know the character/s, in the TV show, you never really get much depth to characters, apart from a few.

But each to their own.

Books I can handle spending that much time with one story. Lord of the Rings did it too and it was great. I've enjoyed it so far in my GoT reading (only reading book 2 at the moment). TWD doesn't have good enough character depth/development to get away with it. It had 1 good episode after the mid season break and it was for the characters that actually had some depth strangely enough.

But each to their own.

Books I can handle spending that much time with one story. Lord of the Rings did it too and it was great. I've enjoyed it so far in my GoT reading (only reading book 2 at the moment). TWD doesn't have good enough character depth/development to get away with it. It had 1 good episode after the mid season break and it was for the characters that actually had some depth strangely enough.

I agree the TWD does not have good enough character development, but enjoyed this series as much as the others, maybe it was due to the change of pace, for me, not so frenetic as the others.

I dunno know, why we like what we like, we just do. 

Try reading it.

Zzzzzzzz 

Wouldn't be to distracted by the lack of pace. Knowing GRRM, she'll be dead by the end of Bk6 anyway.

Try reading it.

Zzzzzzzz 

Wouldn't be to distracted by the lack of pace. Knowing GRRM, she'll be dead by the end of Bk6 anyway.

At the current pace GRRM is writing, we'll ALL be dead by the end of book 6.

Try reading it.

Zzzzzzzz 

At the current pace GRRM is writing, we'll ALL be dead by the end of book 6.

Lol. Indeed.

Ep 4 was pretty awesome. Made even more so by the unusual amount of foul language and that the copy I have is subtitled.

What an awesome episode.

Some major diversions from the book, with [spoiler]Jon going to Craster's and Bran being there and getting caught etc.[/spoiler] I think this is great as it's probably stuff that GRRM considered doing but didn't, and now the show watchers can see it unfold this way.

Also despite being 5 books in, we now seem to know more about the white walkers and their story from the show than the books, even if it's only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. About Ice Darth Maul:  [spoiler] That guy sat the end with the baby - Ice Darth Maul - has been labelled as the Night's King by the HBO synopsis. He was the 13th Lord Commander of the Nights Watch, a Stark and previously King of the North according to Old Nan's tales, who broke his vows to marry a white walker, made the Nightfort his own castle, committed a heap of attrocities and was only removed when the King Beyond the Wall joined forces with the King of the North and ousted him. Now considering Joer Mormont is the 998th Lord Commander, the Night's King is seriously freaking old...[/spoiler]

Now whether this will be the same as what eventuates in the books or not, we'll have to wait and see, but it could end up being wildly divergent, and this could be a sign that the TV series could have different people become heros, a different king (or queen) on the iron throne etc.

Apparently the next book The Winds Of Winter wont be released this year, and no guarantees that it will be released next year yet either, though Im sure GRRM knows what will happen and can pass on the drafted books to the creators of the TV show.

The writers apparently have a sealed envelope with whatever is meant to happen that they open upon George's (early?) death. Whether that gets updated as he writes more who knows.

Not sure If I've said this before but as the c bombs increased in the books so they have in the show. Handy.

The writers apparently have a sealed envelope with whatever is meant to happen that they open upon George's (early?) death. Whether that gets updated as he writes more who knows.

Not sure If I've said this before but as the c bombs increased in the books so they have in the show. Handy.

I assume it's spelled differently, as is Ser instead of Sir.

I assume it's spelled differently, as is Ser instead of Sir.

Clark?

Edit: lol that's funny...

you do realise there are over 250 characters, takes a lot to cover them

GRRM has a bit of a bad habit of introducing characters that he probably doesn't need to...

GRRM has a bit of a bad habit of introducing characters that he probably doesn't need to...

I was reading that GRRM was going to start AFFC basically 5 years after ASOS, so basically all characters would be 5 years older, and POV's would just reflect on what had been missed as required. This essentially means that AFFC & ADWD are somewhat prologues to the upcoming TWIW, which would certainly help argue that a lot of those books wasn't necessary, since even GRRM nearly didn't bother writng them.

There's a lot of backstory on characters that you just never know if you're going to need to remember. For instance when there's a meeting about to occur and so it explains what the character knows about the people coming to the meeting. What their reputation is (angry, sickly, arrogant), what they have been known as (whoreslayer, goat milker), how they fared in a certain battle/tourney, who they were aligned with, who they are rumoured to favour, who they were once betrothed to etc, etc.  Then the conversations start and you can't tell one from the other anyway, and you wonder why you hade to read 3 pages about guys who aren't that important.

Then there's POV characters who end up being killed and you wonder why they were even in the story...

Despite it getting a bit tedious in parts I do love how the world is so big and filled out, and I guess when its finished I will be wanting for more, so I shouldn't complain that the plot isn't moving along faster.

that has to be a record number of acronyms in one post, surely!

that has to be a record number of acronyms in one post, surely!

ikr

HODOR! Fark yeah!

Big reveal about who offed Jon Arryn in last night's episode...