Game Plan for 2016

Unpopular theory: JH picked a team basically the exact same shape as the Weagles under Worsfold. Stack the midfield with numbers, win the ball well and defend well, run forward in enough numbers and you'll score even if the forward line is poxy.

Take out Seaby/Ryder and have Judd/Watson & Kerr/Hocking break down = their 2008-09, our 2015.

He played the same type of game, and the ‘types of players’ may have been the same shape, but Worsfold had the midfield to do it. Hird didn’t, even at full strength he didn’t, but certainly not when weakened. And if you don’t have that type of elite midfeild, then you better be ■■■■■■ good at kicking goals…

Personally I think a coach has to mould the game plan around the strength of the list. If Woosha comes in and tries to replicate the game plan that worked at West Coast, then he’s gonna fail. Borrow from it sure, but you need to have a plan that your list (and even the 22 that are on the park that day) can play to, but more importantly, will excel at.

There were times this year when it felt like the coaches totally forgot that Paddy Ryder wasn’t our ruckman anymore, and that Watson and Hocking were injured most of the year.

Unpopular theory: JH picked a team basically the exact same shape as the Weagles under Worsfold. Stack the midfield with numbers, win the ball well and defend well, run forward in enough numbers and you'll score even if the forward line is poxy.

Take out Seaby/Ryder and have Judd/Watson & Kerr/Hocking break down = their 2008-09, our 2015.

He played the same type of game, and the ‘types of players’ may have been the same shape, but Worsfold had the midfield to do it. Hird didn’t, even at full strength he didn’t, but certainly not when weakened. And if you don’t have that type of elite midfeild, then you better be ■■■■■■ good at kicking goals…

Personally I think a coach has to mould the game plan around the strength of the list. If Woosha comes in and tries to replicate the game plan that worked at West Coast, then he’s gonna fail. Borrow from it sure, but you need to have a plan that your list (and even the 22 that are on the park that day) can play to, but more importantly, will excel at.

There were times this year when it felt like the coaches totally forgot that Paddy Ryder wasn’t our ruckman anymore, and that Watson and Hocking were injured most of the year.

I’m not sure what gameplan a team with EKav and Giles and Ambrose can actually make work.
handball and chip kicks sideways while opposition flood back into our F50 I imagine.

Big, slow loopy kicks into the 50 hopefully.

It’s all about hang time

I just want Wooza to bring a large degree of toughness into the side. I know that bashing body on body is not flavour of the month with AFL but I miss those hard hits, like when Jason Johnson used to run through walls and Mark Johnson made the opponents feel his presence, and all the other guys just hard in the contest. This year it was left to Joe Dan to crash packs and tackle hard and he was about it. Not saying our boys are soft but hard tacklers like Benny Howlett and Ambrose slackened off, and after them not much else.

I think our game plan should centre around winning… but that’s just me.

Oh yeah, and maximum wooshing