Gardening

6 Likes

What is the plant? The flower looks like an orchid but the leaves in the pot donā€™t look like orchid leaves.

2 Likes

No idea what on earth could be eating your kale but if you find out, can you send me a few of them?

Iā€™ve realised that I donā€™t have the right temperament for gardening. We planted out our garden in spring and I go for a walk through every day to see how things are going. Early on it was tough. ā€œThatā€™s got a brown leaf. It must need more water. Oh thatā€™s got 3 dead leaves we must be watering too much.ā€ Thatā€™s what the first 3 months were like.

Finally I just said stuff it and let them do their thing and weā€™ve lost 3 out of about 120 plants so pretty happy. Unfortunately one of those was a $130 tree so that hurt me a bit but better one than all 15 of them.

One thingā€™s for sure - theyā€™d be very healthy bugs.
And possibly sip latte at 11.00.

3 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s an Orchid. Stanhopea tigrina. Iā€™ve had it for years but only just managed to coax it to flower this season.
Iā€™m pretty chuffed, :blush:

4 Likes

Well done mate. Thatā€™s unusual.
Iā€™ve got orchids and they need a fair bit of encouragement to flower, but when they do itā€™s worth it.
Where I live it is hot, hot, hot in summer and the orchids suffer.

You deserve to be, itā€™s pretty nice. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What flag is that ?

HI Incoming. Thereā€™s a couple of things to do that donā€™t involve harmful chemicals and are incredibly cheap and best of all, theyā€™ve worked a charm for me.

The first is when you water the tree/plant, water the WHOLE tree/plant, rather than just the roots. The water on the trunk and foliage helps the trees in summer to cool down, but it also means bugs are less likely to nest there, because there isnā€™t as much protection for them from moisture.

The second, and this works best with kale and other garden veggies, is used coffee grinds placed around the soil close to the trunk. The acidity wonā€™t hurt the plant, but will act as a repellent to undesirables (no, not hipsters). It will also add some extra nitrate into the soil to assist with growth.

Full respect to you being mindful of bees when taking care of your garden.

3 Likes

Eggshells round the base of the plant help.
For aphids on roses, if you canā€™t bear the daily manual squash. a bit of dishwashing liquid in a Water spray works.

Keeps those roses squeaky clean, also!

Iā€™m not much of a gardener but Im quite chuffed with the progress of my avocados at the moment.
Started from the stone and is slowly progressing. Ive also had 2 juvenile trees murdered by our juvenile german shepherd (@$%**^@)

8 Likes

Noice.
Havenā€™t had much luck with my efforts.
Then I lost heart when I discovered that not only is it a bit of a 50/50 whether theyā€™ll ever fruit, but that it can take up to 15 years to happen in any case. And that what you eat/plant is not necessarily the tree youā€™ll get - as they are all grafted. Fark that.

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried about 20 or so stones and have 5 trees at various stages.
Iā€™m hoping out of that I can get some degree of successā€¦

1 Like

You have the land - and the climate from memory, right?

Yep. 10 acres in near Brisbane

1 Like

I read or heard somewhere that hardcore vegans donā€™t eat avocados cos theyā€™re all artificially pollenated.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in Melbourne - where we first drown them, then burn them to a crisp.

1 Like

You can never tell what organic material those pesky little bees leave behind from their filthy trousers :wink: :wink: