Gardening

I made enquiries about an avocado tree down here, and apart from being told it’s not really the right climate, you need to plant them at the top of a small rise to help with the drainage. Small can be very small, but to allow drainage was the important bit.

1 Like

Surely it’s reasonably sandy soil down there?

Not on my block. More bluestone boulders.

I think they said something about sheltering it from the wind too, and I’m a year or two away from that, with pittosporum and olive trees.

IIRC, that’s how you can get Avos sooner than the 15 years it often takes.

Get one going, and when it gets a decent size, you graft on from an already fruiting plant that’s producing the type you want.

1 Like

There you go, Mex. Get your grafting skills honed.

1 Like

Youtube and google here I come :+1:

What’s the best way to get rid of scale in orchids? Any ideas out there?

White Oil.

If you have a big spray bottle (about $10) you can buy it concentrate and mix it yourself, if you have many plants to spray or a spray tin if you only have a few to do.

I buy White Oil spray from the Reject Shop.

Its cheap

Me too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Had a big job one time for a ground cover, so bought the concentrate and mixed it, needed all of it.

Ok , thanks for that.
I’ll give it a try.
White oil is non chemical / toxic so it should fit the bill.

1 Like

Thanks for that tip m53. I’ll go and have a look for some.

1 Like

just to be clear, its an aerosol can type spray which is perfect for small applications.

Thanks again.

White oil can be made from vegetable oil, liquid detergent and water. Mix a tablespoon of oil with a teaspoon of detergent. Then stir this through a litre of water for use.

2 Likes

Yup. Make it yeself.

Anybody here have a worm farm? Do you use the leachate on your garden, and if so, have you seen any benefits? There are a lot of mixed messages our there about its benefits and some people say you shouldn’t use it. Everyone is pretty unanimous about the benefits of worm castings, but the leachate is a different story.

my garden is a little boring this year.
only some broccoli, Peas and Tomatoes.

I have one and use the leachate, but can’t say it makes a difference either way.

1 Like

I’ve been away for a week and come back to find the tomato and capsicum and chilli seedlings eaten away - sigh… replant and net them up.