Gary ablett jnr

No matter the issues he has a contract to honour and I hope the AFL and the Suns hold him to it.

Can we leave brand loyalty out of this??? It just isn’t PC.

After the past week I thought it was pretty obvious that God had abandoned Queensland.

1 Like

Is He trying to find his way home?
What if He were one of us???

4 Likes

You mean like all the other players who have asked to move club on a contract and it has been eventually granted. Let’s make a person feeling miserable suffer just because he put himself there. Let’s ignore the fact that when he went it was to help build a new club and be successful but since then every decent young player has left the club or been moved on due to drug issues and the place is a basket case that sacked one coach and isn’t too far away from sacking another. Apparently the training facilities are worse than Norfs. Of course we all know it’s his fault because he prays before a game.

What staggers me is how stupid this club was. He requested a trade to his old club and his old club was more than ready to make it happen. The Suns would have freed up salary cap space, rid themselves of an ageing injury prone player, picked up decent compensation and been free to rebuild the club in the way it was wanting to. But noooo, let’s stick our foot down and say no…well…just because. It’s the principle.

Stupidly run club the deserves every piece of crap that happens to them.

2 Likes

Let Ablett go, and you may as well move Lynch and May too and merge with GWS.

They’d instantly become a super team after the merger.

Best 22
B Z Williams P Davis M Buntine
HB J Kelly A Tomlinson A Kennedy
C H Shaw C Ward T Greene
HF D Smith R Lobb S Johnson
F R Griffen J Cameron T Scully
FOL S Mumford D Shiel J Hopper
INT S Reid T Taranto N Haynes N Wilson

2 Likes

He could have signed a 2 year deal. Or a 1 year deal. Just like every other player can. But understandably, he chose to sign a much longer contract. If player contracts are not legally treated like contracts in the rest of society, then we may as well not have them. Seriously. Because it does more harm than good. The only benefit of a ‘contract’ seems to be guaranteeing a player an income for a specific amount of time. Let’s call it that then, and not pretend that it any kind of official binding contract.

2 Likes

If GAJ wants to come to Melbourne and chooses us as his destination, I hope we take him.

He won’t need to play a full time midfield role and can really make our forward line the most potent in the league.

Yes, he is old and he isn’t as good as he once was, but we’ve just handed contract deals to SAGA related players who are likely to be VFL players more often than senior players. This could be a great opportunity to offload those contracts for what will be an instant upgrade to our best 18.

As long as we’re not trading our early picks (very unlikely), have a few 30+ players retire and only give up depth players for him, I’m all for it.

I honestly have no idea why there is a discussion on getting Ablett, ITS NOT HAPPENING. If he leaves GC then it’s back to Geelong end of story.

The end. Close thread.

4 Likes

Chris Scott has been shipping off Geelong greats for years. Shipping one back in seems counter to every list management decison he has made in his time.

2 Likes

Big difference here is that the Suns are looking to get preferential treatment that could affect all clubs come trade time. I have heard from a pretty good source that the Suns have already twice approached the AFL about having Ablett’s contract terminated at the end of the season and that money coming off their books which is a disgrace if it happens. Would give them an extra $1.1-1.3m of cap room to attract players in the off season. Got no problem with Ablett being traded as long as his current contract is financially honoured, if that means the Cats pay half and Gold Coast pay half that’s fine by me. I’m hoping the AFL stand tough on this as they have repeatedly taken that stance with Sydney and Buddy

2 Likes

So, you’re ok with Ablett breaking his contract but he still needs to be paid the full term for it?

Maybe read what he said first. GC want the AFL to break his contract so they can sack him basically and not pay him out and not have it under the salary cap.

If you are so desperate for contracts to mean something they have to work both ways, player and club.

However they don’t and haven’t for a very long time.

If he is traded then he is not breaking his contract. Demanding that he will sit out or retire because he doesn’t get his way is breaking a contract

If he chooses to retire he simply doesn’t get paid final year of contract or they come to an agreed settlement amount which is much less.

If he wants to be traded his contract stands and either Geelong honour it in full or GC covers part of it like what happens so often with other clubs (Griffen to GWS, Cloke to WB for example)

If GC tries to void his contract altogether if he gets traded it’s bullshit hence what’s being commented on above and I hope the other clubs lose it over it. Eddie for sure would go bananas.

Can see why they’d try though. It’s better for them to either have him retire or just stay with them over possibly having $600k sitting on their books for nobody, assuming Cats paid him $400k.

3 Likes

If it’s by mutual consent and the salary part is honoured then yes I’m ok with it. It happens all the time where a players old club will foot some of the players wages. What I’d be ■■■■■■ about is if his contract gets torn up and plays for the Cats for say $300k a year and the remainder of his pay is taken off either clubs books

Sometimes there are good reasons to break contracts on compassionate grounds. You take a hard-line without knowing the personal circumstances that GAJ is dealing with. If you think GAJ is wrong to put his family ahead of his football club, I suggest you check your priorities.

Read my further posts. As long as his contract $ are still on someone’s books I’m not fussed what he does

2 Likes

What? Jeeesh.
Ablett wants to leave. Because shitteam/Cats/retiringsoon/whatever
GC don’t want him to leave. They are ■■■■■■ he wants to leave. If he played like he can, they wouldn’t have a problem. Unless you’re suggesting that they want to sack him regardless? Which doesn’t even make sense. To ‘sack’ a player, there has to be a blatant ‘breaking of contract’ - ironically.

Of course it should work both ways. Contracts have words in them. You read the word things, agree, and sign the farkin paper. They should only be waived if both parties agree, or there is a stipulated breach.

If I’ve missed your point here, please elaborate further.

Obviously.
If ‘he is traded’. In that case, it would be an agreement.